Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

damaged two of my wheels--options?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damaged two of my wheels--options?

this is kind of a noobish question but i damaged two of my wheels pretty badly (stock bbs wheels) and the guy at NTB said i need to replace them and the tires.

1. do i really need to replace them or is there some way to repair them? i don't really care about how it looks just don't want them to blow up on me.

2. how often are people selling just 1 or 2 wheels on the forums/craigslist/ebay, i.e. is buying just two an option that will come up sometime or are people always selling the full set of 4?

3. what would you do?

i'm kind of annoyed because the dealer charges like $1100 per wheel and online its about $8-900.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those wheels are forged so I doubt fixing them is really an option.

Yes, you can find them here on the forum, and I'm sure buying 1 or 2 at a time is an option. Do not buy them from the dealer. You can buy a decent set of aftermarket wheels for what you'll pay for one.

I would probably just buy a set of regular X wheels or go aftermarket if it were me.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Depending on how bad they were damaged you can get them repaired. Look up a few wheel repair shops in your area. They should be able to help you out.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ppllzz
this is kind of a noobish question but i damaged two of my wheels pretty badly (stock bbs wheels) and the guy at NTB said i need to replace them and the tires.

1. do i really need to replace them or is there some way to repair them? i don't really care about how it looks just don't want them to blow up on me.

2. how often are people selling just 1 or 2 wheels on the forums/craigslist/ebay, i.e. is buying just two an option that will come up sometime or are people always selling the full set of 4?

3. what would you do?

i'm kind of annoyed because the dealer charges like $1100 per wheel and online its about $8-900.
What kind of damage? Bends? Cracks? Both?

Repair is the cheapest option. Finding single wheels isn't out of the question but it could take you a while to find them.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:16 AM

Whether or not the wheels can be fixed will depend on the level of damage. Some shops can unbend wheels if they are bent to a certain extent. However, cracks might be a little difficult to fix. If wheel shops cannot fix your damage, then I would highly recommend buying aftermarket wheels because those dealership prices are ridiculous.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evobrothers
However, cracks might be a little difficult to fix.
And that, boys and girls, is how you do understatement correctly.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
And that, boys and girls, is how you do understatement correctly.
It's actually not that bad. Once heated and reshaped the crack can be welded and ground. Any reputable shop should be able to bang that out in a few days for under$300 depending on the severity. Pics would help In the end, it all depends on how much abuse you put the wheels through as well. Any wheel that has been bent and then reworked will never be as strong as original.

Last edited by cordell_pearce; Nov 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have seen at least 2 sets of MR X wheels for sale lately on here. Don't buy from the dealership foso!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

aftermarket will be the best option. stock MR wheels look nice but not wide enough for our fender
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any pictures of the damage?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alsong2002
aftermarket will be the best option. stock MR wheels look nice but not wide enough for our fender
Hi. I'm really happy that you're here, contributing to a tech thread in Tires, Wheels, Brakes, & Suspension. But, if it isn't too much to ask, please note that this sub-forum is dedicated to performance, not appearance. Thus, we prefer to talk about getting the right wheel for the tires, rather than the wheel needed to fill in the fenders and/or get the owner of the car that babe-and-dude-luring, hella-flush look.

If you meant that the OP wants wider wheels because the fenders are already big enough to run wider tires, and he or she will need the wider wheels to support said wider tires, please accept my apology for not connecting these dots and/or letting my doubts get the better of me.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol.

What's most noobish about this post is the failure to include adequate detail to allow people to answer the question. or maybe it's the failure to clarify that detail nearly a month after being asked to.

double fail. threads like this are garbage. thanks for contributing!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 03:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Is the goal in being so intoletant toward new or different thinking enthusiasts to drive them off?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 03:44 AM

sorry should've taken pics of the damage but pretty much all the professionals that saw the wheels said it was not repairable so i just took that as fact.

i ended up getting refurbished wheels off of wheelcollision.com.

they managed to find two for me and it came out to $500 each, which wasn't bad. needed to switch to all-season tires anyways as winter is coming up... all-in damage was $2000 =/

as a side note i separately messed up the wheel hub bearing... can't believe how bad of a driver i am haha (5500miles sigh)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 04:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey man, we all make mistakes. I'm really glad you got it fixed and it wasn't terribly expensive.

Quick Reply: damaged two of my wheels--options?