Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Even though Advan says they can, the stock tires don't fit on a 9.5" rim. LOL inside

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Even though Advan says they can, the stock tires don't fit on a 9.5" rim. LOL inside

I have been working on a suspension project, and have done wheels, because I wanted to run wider tires: 265/35/18.

Since my Advans only have 3000 miles on them, the tire shop looked them up, and noticed they permitted an 8" - 9.5" wheel, and said why not run them in the meantime.

Well, let me tell you why not:

Car looks ridiculous, like a freaking VW. I'm getting my fenders rolled, getting 265/35s, and selling these post haste. Awful and embarrassing. They don't remotely fit.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

With the extreme lack of fitment, since these are +22, would it be worth it to look at 255/40 and see if I can get away without rolling, or will they still poke out like that?

Just looking for the best tire size for the car. 255/40 would make the car ride a bit nicer and be a smidge taller in the wheel well, as I'm not very low due to not wanting to add a roll center kit.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have Advan RZ-DF (18x9.5 +25) and no, the 245s didn't look great but they also weren't as pulled as yours. I now run 255/40/18 Michelin Pilot SuperSports and they're a perfect fit. No rolling or anything was required, but I did push the front inner fender liners slightly.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:43 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by tkromer
I have Advan RZ-DF (18x9.5 +25) and no, the 245s didn't look great but they also weren't as pulled as yours. I now run 255/40/18 Michelin Pilot SuperSports and they're a perfect fit. No rolling or anything was required, but I did push the front inner fender liners slightly.
I am heavily considering doing that. I don't mind the inner fender liners, but the rear rolling is where I'm worried. You also have an extra 3mm offset that keeps them off the rear fender inside.

What are your alignment settings?

Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 09:22 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

it's hellaflush yo. now all u n33d is dat -10 camber.

No but seriously, that's horrendous.

Off-Topic: Full pic of car? I've been considering those wheels, and since I have a PB I wanna see how they look.

{thumpup}
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
What are your alignment settings?
-1* all around, (I think) .05 toe.

I'm on GTWorx springs also, as the drop plays in to your equation slightly. I'm honestly not close in the rear even with 4 folks in the car. I have another 6-8mm fully loaded.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 10:16 AM

I had a similar experience with Falkens and wide rims. It wasn't quite as bad as yours but bad enough that the tire shop refused to mount other three wheels I had. I'm surprised tire makers make such broad suggestions since people are so litigious and looking for a free payout.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 10:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Old Oct 23, 2013 | 02:46 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

NICE! It's gonna look great lowered.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 03:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Sev
NICE! It's gonna look great lowered.
Haha, it's totally already lowered.

Ordered Pilot Super Sports in 265/35 today.
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 06:59 PM

Haha, it's totally already lowered.

Ordered Pilot Super Sports in 265/35 today.
Just installed my PSS in 265/35 today... great decision, they look very beefy on a 9.5" wheel and ride oh-so-smooth
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

This picture is obviously PhotoShopped. I've read enough on car-related websites to know that when you stretch 245s onto a 9.5"-wide wheel, half-naked 20-year-olds (of your preferred sex) suddenly appear and drape themselves on your car. I see no such creatures in the above, so it's obviously fake. QED

ps. blocking TWO handicapped spots is righteous!
Old Oct 23, 2013 | 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be willing to bet that if you ran the usual "performance" tire you see most Evo's on, that sidewall would have more than enough flex to stretch out on that wheel. These pics serve as testament to the stiff sidewall design of the A13C's.. It is a fantastic tire...I bought a set to try out when I had X GSR wheels on my 8.. Loved everything about them!

Post some feedback on the Super Sports.. Interested to see what your impression is of them.
Old Oct 24, 2013 | 06:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Iowa999
ps. blocking TWO handicapped spots is righteous!
The Discount Tire guys did that when they pulled it out. I just snapped a pic as I was walking out to the car.

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
I'd be willing to bet that if you ran the usual "performance" tire you see most Evo's on, that sidewall would have more than enough flex to stretch out on that wheel. These pics serve as testament to the stiff sidewall design of the A13C's.. It is a fantastic tire...I bought a set to try out when I had X GSR wheels on my 8.. Loved everything about them!

Post some feedback on the Super Sports.. Interested to see what your impression is of them.
I hope more people love the A13C like you do. I'm gonna have them for sale today or tomorrow, as soon as I can get the suckers off and photos taken. 3000 miles on 'em.

I've been on PSS before, they're alright. I like them because they last longer than most performance tires, aren't terribly expensive, have a wider tread width measurement compared to most of their competitors, and are lighter than almost all their competitors. It's not glue like ZII or RS3, but I think for an Evo that is mostly a commuter, it's the best all around compromise without damaging the handling character of the car.
Old Oct 24, 2013 | 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck selling the A13s. The massive difference in grip -- both wet and dry -- I felt when I switched to PSS was shocking. I've also run on RS3's, and yes, they're a bit better than the PSS on dry roads, but louder and not remotely as good in the rain.

Quick Reply: Even though Advan says they can, the stock tires don't fit on a 9.5" rim. LOL inside