Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What 9.5 fits without rolling fenders?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What 9.5 fits without rolling fenders?

I know it seems like a simple question, but I read through every wheel thread in the forums. What it seems like more than +22 (as in approaching 30) has the best chance to fit without rubbing and less will probably rub (it seems you have about 25mm clearance from where the stock wheel fits to the fender before rubbing). I also know tire width and selection makes a big difference, but what would fit without rubbing on a mild 1" drop? Is it simply sticking with the narrower tires?

My goal is wheels around $2000 in 9.5" width that can fit without rubbing or using spacers (the less spokes the better, easier to clean). I would like to use 255/40 (would seem to give me better RPMS when cruising).

The best chance of fitting that I've seen is possibly the Work CR Ultimate 18 x 9.5" +30. The Work XT7s also come in a +30, but is not listed as fitting on Works Japanese website, but the CR Ultimates are listed as fitting in a +30.

Any suggestions?

(By the way, this site is awesome: www.willtheyfit.com)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why are you getting 9.5"-wide wheels if you're planning on 255s?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Why are you getting 9.5"-wide wheels if you're planning on 255s?
If you are asking from a tire perspective because 245s are a little stretched and 265s have a higher probability of rubbing? Plus I was thinking the 255/40s would be a slightly taller tire within the wheels specs to eak out a few more rpms in each gear.

From a wheel perspective I chose 9.5" because there are not a lot of 9" wheels with good offsets and because 10" seems too big.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

I'm on slightly taller tires, too; I have no quibble with that. But I think that you should keep looking for 9"-wide wheels if you're planning on 255s. Choose the tires, then get wheels to make them happy; not the other way around.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'm on slightly taller tires, too; I have no quibble with that. But I think that you should keep looking for 9"-wide wheels if you're planning on 255s. Choose the tires, then get wheels to make them happy; not the other way around.
255s are in 9.5 specs, it's just that there are no wheels I can find without aggressive offsets in the 9 inch range, or the ones that might work are very expensive (like Advans).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

But I think that you should keep looking for 9"-wide wheels if you're planning on 255s. Choose the tires, then get wheels to make them happy; not the other way around.
Definitely tire first...not all 255's are 255's...ala Federal, Hankook, etc with the oversized size from true size lol...stack 255's from different companies together, and it may be hilarious...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I have 18*9.5 +22 running 265/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and have never rubbed with -1.2 degrees of camber in the rear. I had some +15 RPF1s on with the exact same tires, and they rubbed instantly.

You should be good with +22 all day.

I agree with Iowa that they'll look stretched. If you don't care about running 265w rubber, get 9" wheels. They'll be lighter and cost you less money.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:21 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Why are people so against rolling fenders? If it's done right it looks fine and isn't even that noticeable.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sev
Why are people so against rolling fenders? If it's done right it looks fine and isn't even that noticeable.
Just wish I could find a shop who will do tires/wheels and a mild rolling (265x40x18). NorCal seems to be particularly hard place to find folks willing to do both. You get the standard disclaimer along the lines of, "we can do it, but if we efff it up, we don't fix it".

Not real confidence inspiring.

Sigh.

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes I'm lazy and don't write out everything that I'm thinking when posting. (I also sometimes don't do it because I don't want to be any more annoying than I usually am and/or don't want to admit to certain assumptions that I'm making.)

There are times to run 9.5"-wide wheels with tires that an thinner than 265. Many of the competitive Evos in STU run wheels this wide with their (mandated-maximum) 245s, because certain tires actually have better lateral grip on wider wheels (e.g., 'Kook R-S3s), at least when pumped up to near 40 psi. I didn't say this cause the OP said 255s, so I knew that he or she wasn't setting the car up for cone-dodging. I made the assumption -- hee haw, hee haw -- that he was after looks and, maybe, street comfort. The car will be more comfortable and safe on 9"-wide wheels.

And it took me 10 seconds to find a bunch of 18x9s with the right offset, so I suggested that he or she look again.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Make sure you don't confuse fender rolling with fender pulling.
Fender rolling is easy and hard to go wrong.
Fender pulling require bodywork knowledge.

Alot of our customers run our 9.5 +22 with 255s or 265s without any fitment issue stock or lowered.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmastrol
Just wish I could find a shop who will do tires/wheels and a mild rolling (265x40x18). NorCal seems to be particularly hard place to find folks willing to do both. You get the standard disclaimer along the lines of, "we can do it, but if we efff it up, we don't fix it".

Not real confidence inspiring.

Sigh.

This is the reason I don't want to roll. I had one of my fenders repainted and everyone pretty much guaranteed it would crack the paint around the fender are because it was repainted, and like you experienced they won't fix it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 265/40/18; fenders come later.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes I'm lazy and don't write out everything that I'm thinking when posting. (I also sometimes don't do it because I don't want to be any more annoying than I usually am and/or don't want to admit to certain assumptions that I'm making.)

There are times to run 9.5"-wide wheels with tires that an thinner than 265. Many of the competitive Evos in STU run wheels this wide with their (mandated-maximum) 245s, because certain tires actually have better lateral grip on wider wheels (e.g., 'Kook R-S3s), at least when pumped up to near 40 psi. I didn't say this cause the OP said 255s, so I knew that he or she wasn't setting the car up for cone-dodging. I made the assumption -- hee haw, hee haw -- that he was after looks and, maybe, street comfort. The car will be more comfortable and safe on 9"-wide wheels.

And it took me 10 seconds to find a bunch of 18x9s with the right offset, so I suggested that he or she look again.
What is the right offset with 9s? I stated I did search and found mostly Advans, which cost a fortune. The rest were the vintage BBS style or lots of spokes.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Given that first contact is almost always the tire, the offset suggestion remains the same, regardless of wheel width. Go with around +30 to be nicer to your wheel-bearings; drop into the low 20s for handling and that uber-kool stance-yo look.

Work has 18x9 +30s.

Quick Reply: What 9.5 fits without rolling fenders?