Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilovers w/ Independent Rebound & Compressions Adjustments w/o Remote Reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers w/ Independent Rebound & Compressions Adjustments w/o Remote Reservoirs

Are there any coilovers with Evo X fitment that has 2 adjusters, one for compression and one for rebound, that do utilize remote reservoirs?

By remote reservoirs, I mean a separate canister, which I believe the RS Pro has in either a piggyback or a remote configuration.

So far, only the JRZ RS seems to fit my bill.

Last edited by Roen; Feb 4, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are plenty (incl. everything from Ohlins to Fortune Autos), but you need to refine your question a bit. When talking about adjusters on shocks, be clear as to whether said adjuster changes low- or high-speed damping. If you drive or race on imperfect surfaces, you'll soon see that once you've paid for a two-way with cans, you really want to pay for the third adjustment.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Assume that I'm only interested in independent two way (full speed rebound and full speed compression) because a third adjuster would penalize me on points or move me into a higher class. Also, piggyback setups (a la KW V3) would also penalize me.

That being said, what are the options?

On my old car, Koni Yellows were an option, but it seems like there's no Evo fitment.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roen
Are there any coilovers with Evo X fitment that has 2 adjusters, one for compression and one for rebound, that do utilize remote reservoirs?
Now that I've slept, I think that you may have omitted a critical word from the above. You're looking for a 2-way that does NOT have a can, aren't you?

Originally Posted by Roen
Assume that I'm only interested in independent two way (full speed rebound and full speed compression)....
There's no such thing as "full speed"; there's low-speed and high-speed. But if you're looking at shocks without cans, then it will probably be low-speed in each direction and that's fine.

The ability to adjust low-speed compression is not very important, assuming that you can adjust rebound on its own. If you don't find what you're looking for in a 2-way, look at some 1-way rebound-only shocks, as well.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, that should've read do not. Thanks for catching the typo.

Do you have example of one ways (or two ways) as part of a coilover system for the Evo? I'd like to be able to adjust ride height and spring rates as well.

Last edited by Roen; Feb 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

bumpity bump, still looking for help and opinions
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I looked around when you first asked, but there isn't much if anything that fits your criteria. And there's a good reason for this: it's very hard to make a good monotube with separate low-speed adjusters for bump and rebound, and still have full travel.

I know that this is rude, but I have to ask why you want shocks with your criteria. I can guess why you don't want cans -- to obey some arbitrary set of rules. But I don't know why you insist on separate adjusters. Don't you just want the best shocks for your type of driving/racing that don't have cans?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

It's not rude; it's a valid question. I just don't like crosstalk in my adjusters, I'd rather be able to hold one constant while adjusting the other during the tuning portion of my build.

I don't want to find a sweet spot for one adjuster and then have to move off of it because the adjuster adjusts both in lockstep.

So far, I think I'm leaning towards the JRZ RS. I think I might be forced to move off of monotubes because of this. I wished Koni made a fitment for the Evo's, it could've been a lot easier.

I think once you get into the price range of JRZ's, Moton's, Ohlin's, the build quality will be very similar and so will the valving quality. I plan to ask for shock dynos with adjuster sweeps to ensure that I will be getting a good product. So at that point, any of those shocks could be "the best" for the racing that I want to do.

Last edited by Roen; Feb 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM.