Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rs-r sports I coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rs-r sports I coilovers

I came across these recently but can't find a lot of info on folks using them on evo x.

They're a Japanese made unit and they come valved to order direct from Japan. My local supplier claims that they will improve my handling while making the ride better on our crappy roads.

I mainly use the car for aggressive back road driving and an occasional track day. I currently have lower hd springs on the stock bilsteins, 27mm rear bar & RCK. Running 275 35 18 hankook rs3.

They look to be be well made and really well priced. But I want to avoid suspension that will make my ride worse and create suspension noise.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

I like new and unknown products, especially when other people try them first...

That said, it's a pain to swap out coilovers and so might recommend something that is more tried and true. It's not an area to skimp.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be the first to try it and let us know!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:28 AM

Well I think I may give them a shot as they seem to have quite a few features designed to keep them quiet and street compliant. I'll be sure to report when I do. Some info from their site below

Technology of RS-R’s Hand Assembled Mono-Tube Dampers

The RS-R coilovers are all monotube hand assembled systems specifically designed to improve ride quality, performance, and comfort. Utilizing components such as; laser cut upper mounts, hand welded lower brackets, vehicle specific valving, are all assembled by hand to ensure quality and detail.[clear]

Utilizing Urethane bushing instead of bearing to reduce excessive vibrations from every day driving, as well as minimizing noises from suspension movements.[clear]

On MacPherson type suspension, as the suspension rotates along with the steering wheel, the coil springs may be prone to twisting. RS-R suspension utilizes roller bearings to eliminate spring twist noise.[clear]

Rubber padding is utilized to help eliminate potential noise from suspension movements.[clear]

Damper adjustment dials are up to 36 way adjustable to tune the shocks compression and rebound to each individuals needs for almost any driving condition.[clear]

If desired, the upper mounts on select vehicles can add 1.5 degree of camber from the preset setting by unbolting the upper mount and rotating the plate 180 degrees. (for more precise control of camber, adjustable camber plates are available for select models)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 05:55 AM

I pulled the trigger on these a couple of weeks ago and they are now installed, so a brief review
First, some background. The previous set up was with stock bilsteins and GT worx lowering springs (rated around 5kg). I also have a WL 27 mm rear bar and roll centre kit. Alignment was -2.5 front and 2 rear. Running 275 hankook RS3. My car is not a daily, mainly a weekender with spirited country drives and occasional track day. But I live in a big city and our roads are crap.

Let me say the car handled well with this setup. The areas I thought could be improved were ride quality and transition through corners. The ride quality wasn't bad, just not graceful and sharp on the slow speed bumps
My reference suspension is Porsche 911 - handled nicely but you could also hit a good bump or even speed bump and there is no hard jolt.

The transitions... The first thing I noticed when I got the evo x was how smooth it felt changing direction in a corner. However With my upgraded springs and bar it lost some of that smoothness, there was a bit of pitching. I'd say that the shocks were at their limit with the 5kg springs so damping was less than perfect.

The rsr r coils are specifically valved to order for your car, so they tell me. Mine have 8kg front and 7 kg rear springs. I had units installed as supplied.

IMO the car is now slammed, but many wouldn't agree. It was already 25-30 mm lower than stock and now probably another 15-20mm. See before and after pics below. I don't subscribe to really low suspension as I feel it usually compromises handling. Call me crazy but too low looks weird / unnatural to me.
So first impressions. When I drove home after install I was looking for bumps and corners. Not too many corners found but plenty of bumps. The ride felt ok, a little smoother than before and a bit more composed.

I checked the adjustment when I got home and found they were set full hard. I then wound them back 18 clicks to half way.

I went out and tried a few corners, it felt very nice, very smooth transition when changing direction and the handling quite neutral. I've only had a chance to try Mainly 2nd gear and slow 3rd gear corners. I'm getting some nice feedback from the front tyres and car is near neutral. Before it had a bit of initial understeer. Front tyres really bite now. The is a less body roll and car feels more composed, no wiggle and jiggle when you put the power on early.

the ride quality was very good . Ok, it wasn't quite Porsche territory but the ride was compliant, still firm, but no hard jolts. The bumps that used to make car bits rattle, now don't. Very happy in this regard. I was sceptical about increasing the spring rate by 50% and having a smoother ride... But it works. The car has a more plush feel now over bumps, soaks up the low speed pot holes nicely ( It didn't before ).

The gear

Before

http://s578.photobucket.com/user/zas...ejpg5.jpg.html

After

Last edited by Zash; Sep 17, 2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Great review!

Did you have your Bilsteins revalved for GT Worx springs?
Did you corner balance w/ coilovers?

And, what wheels are those? Nice...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by spyderx
Great review!

Did you have your Bilsteins revalved for GT Worx springs?
Did you corner balance w/ coilovers?

And, what wheels are those? Nice...
Bilsteins we're stock.

I haven't had the coilovers corner balanced, they were installed as supplied. I plan to get it done though.

The wheels are MB Battles and also sold a CST Zero 1 Hyper.