Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nitron NTR R1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014 | 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Nitron NTR R1

The kind UPS man dropped this off a few days ago; this is what £1995 + 2.5% Duty + NYS Use Tax gets you (At least you don't have to pay 20% VAT):

Spring rates are 650 lbs/in in the front and 13 kg/mm in the rear.

Adjusters should adjust rebound only.

Shocks will be dynoed tomorrow to see the range of adjustment as well as springs will be verified on a spring tester.

Excited to get these on for the springtime!!!!!
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 01:03 AM

Nitron and Quantum, we dont get these very often here in america, how are they compared to more commonly seen systems such as KW and Ohlins?
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

never heard of them but, from the pix, they look like really well built coilovers
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Above KW / Ohlins, Below AST / JRZ.

KW/Ohlins don't have custom options plus KW adjustment do nothing at low speed (1-3 in/sec) where cars spend most of the time on the track.

Probably one of the best non-remote reservoir shock values you can get.

It's hard to do independent 2 way in a single body. Only JRZ RS (Not RS1 or RS Pro) does that, and apparently it's not very good. Koni also does that, but has no fitment for the Evo in their yellows. As for lockstep 2 way, that's equivalent to trying to hit a bullseye from 50 meters away.......while riding on a speedboat in choppy waters. Let's say you get your compression right, but you need to adjust rebound slightly. Well you turn the adjuster. Now you've ruined your compression in the hopes of getting rebound right.

At least with a 1 way, you have a stable platform to choose the rebound that works the best for the given level of compression that you have, rather than trying to move all over the place. If you're going to do 2 way, make sure it's independent.

Nitron does offer two way, but it comes with remote reservoirs in their R3 kit and I didn't want to do that. ($$$)

Note that the spring rates, the adjuster and the valving were all done custom for me by request. Same price as their stock offering.

I'm probably going to test it next year with no bars first, then add in bars as I see fit.
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Those look beautiful. Curious as to your feedback once you get them on and dialed in. Did you have Ohlins prior IIRC?
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, no Ohlins, just stock, so can't do a before / after comparison.
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I must be thinking of somebody else who has an X in NYS...nvm.

Nonetheless, still curious as to your feedback on them since you seem fairly well versed on suspension systems in general.

Its always refreshing seeing people purchase quality dampers rather than the typical choose your favorite color 32 way "adjustable" how low can it go crap
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I had a nice long conversation with Nitron at PRI a while ago. We were excited because they offered quality stuff with a custom option at a good price. It just took forever for them to release their EVO offerings. Cool to see that they're out now.

FYI, I'm not sure I'd say the R1 Nitrons are ahead of Ohlins (which can be as custom as you like, it just costs extra). Ohlins valving is very good. So I'm not saying one way or another as I don't have much first hand experience with Nitron...just that Ohlins are very good.

- Andy
Old Oct 3, 2014 | 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I had a nice long conversation with Nitron at PRI a while ago. We were excited because they offered quality stuff with a custom option at a good price. It just took forever for them to release their EVO offerings. Cool to see that they're out now.

FYI, I'm not sure I'd say the R1 Nitrons are ahead of Ohlins (which can be as custom as you like, it just costs extra). Ohlins valving is very good. So I'm not saying one way or another as I don't have much first hand experience with Nitron...just that Ohlins are very good.

- Andy
^^^That
I dont think there are many non-100% motorsport super hardcore coilovers have better valving than DFV
Old Oct 4, 2014 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

- Andy
How much are we talking about for an Ohlins version of what I got? Rebound-only adjusters, Camber/Caster Plates, 650 lb front, 13 kg rear springs?

Stock Ohlins valving is undersprung and underdamped from the feedback I've heard across the board. It's part of the reason why you guys offered stiffer springs than the Ohlins stock offering.

Ohlins is good, but there's a niche to be filled between what Ohlins provides and what a JRZ RS Pro provides. Nitron fills that niche perfectly.

Regardless, I rate single rebound adjustables higher than compression/rebound lockstep adjusters, all else being equal. The latter is useless for on track tuning, and only useful for ride comfort. The Nitrons are stock open-jet, but I asked them to switch to rebound-only.

Last edited by Roen; Oct 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2014 | 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Roen
How much are we talking about for an Ohlins version of what I got? Rebound-only adjusters, Camber/Caster Plates, 650 lb front, 13 kg rear springs?

Stock Ohlins valving is undersprung and underdamped from the feedback I've heard across the board. It's part of the reason why you guys offered stiffer springs than the Ohlins stock offering.

Ohlins is good, but there's a niche to be filled between what Ohlins provides and what a JRZ RS Pro provides. Nitron fills that niche perfectly.

Regardless, I rate single rebound adjustables higher than compression/rebound lockstep adjusters, all else being equal. The latter is useless for on track tuning, and only useful for ride comfort. The Nitrons are stock open-jet, but I asked them to switch to rebound-only.
The valving is awesome but it's true I don't particularly like the standard spring rates for the Ohlins. We replace the springs for free to 10k/10k, but going to the firmer rates you mentioned would require the rears to be revalved, so you'd be a good bit over $3k. The Nitrons doing all that included in the standard price is a huge bonus.

For a softer set-up, the price/value is pretty darn good with Ohlins though. I think we have the Ohlins with custom 10k/10k rates for $2799. They used to be quite a bit more expensive and that's when we were really looking into Nitron to fill that niche.

- Andy

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Oct 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2014 | 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

The valving is awesome but it's true I don't particularly like the standard spring rates for the Ohlins. We replace the springs for free to 10k/10k, but going to the firmer rates you mentioned would require the rears to be revalved, so you'd be a good bit over $3k. The Nitrons doing all that included in the standard price is a huge bonus.

For a softer set-up, the price/value is pretty darn good with Ohlins though. I think we have the Ohlins with custom 10k/10k rates for $2799. They used to be quite a bit more expensive and that's when we were really looking into Nitron to fill that niche.

- Andy
Add on the top hat replacement for more caster and a modification from open-jet to rebound only adjustment and you're probably approaching 4k......or north of it.

I've attached some of the shock dynos I've received from Anze.

Some comments:

Nitron shipped the shocks to me with 270 psi front and 250 psi rear of gas pressure. Anze adjusted it down to 150 psi front and 180 in the rear.

His comments were that the shocks were valved in a way that he would valve them so he was happy about that. Adjusters were linear in the tests that he ran.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
T001-Front full range.pdf (41.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf
T001-Rear full range.pdf (41.4 KB, 0 views)
Old Feb 12, 2015 | 11:49 PM

Any additional feedback on these? Waiting for my R3's right now; we should be down at VIR mid March to test.
Old Feb 17, 2015 | 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

love to hear feedback on why he decided to adjust gas pressure. What are his thoughts and rationale?