Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

camber toe adjustment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camber toe adjustment

Hey guys I have a 2011 evo x and recently lowered the car on d2 coilovers and now I am trying to adjust the rear camber because the wheels are too cambered inward .... I am wanting to set my camber back to 0... I recently purchased some Megan rear camber kits and when I went to install them I realized that I might possibly need to buy some adjustable toe arms to properly align the wheels..??? Any help
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Just go get an alignment they should be able to get you pretty close to zero.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't want your camber at zero. You want your toe at zero. You should be running a minimum -2 degrees of camber up front, and between .5 to 1 degree of camber less than the front in the rear.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
hispanicpanicYou don't want your camber at zero. You want your toe at zero. You should be running a minimum -2 degrees of camber up front, and between .5 to 1 degree of camber less than the front in the rear.
Yea thats pretty much correct. I just ment go get an alignment first before buying all these extra suspension things that you may not need
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:26 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
You don't want your camber at zero. You want your toe at zero. You should be running a minimum -2 degrees of camber up front, and between .5 to 1 degree of camber less than the front in the rear.
a minimum of -2*??? do the Xs really run that much camber in the front? so if i buy a X, i should start a "new tire" fund
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Our tires roll too much to have any significant DD wear at -2. In my michelin pilot super sports, it took -3.6 in order to achieve a flat tire in a turn, just for reference. And that was on KW coils which will have much less body roll than a stock or spring'd evo.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:45 AM
kaj

Our tires roll too much to have any significant DD wear at -2. In my michelin pilot super sports, it took -3.6 in order to achieve a flat tire in a turn, just for reference. And that was on KW coils which will have much less body roll than a stock or spring'd evo.
makes sense. i was assuming OP was DDing his car.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:23 PM

As soon as I get home I'll post some pics of what I'm talking about... since I dropped the car about 2 inches the rear wheels are cambered way too much and I want to camber the wheels back out on top to sit flush with the body of the car..
Attached Thumbnails camber toe adjustment-20150117_165555_richtone-hdr-.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:44 PM

Ok so this picture is the bottom of the rear end on the evo x... if u were to tighten the camber arm (red one) then it will throw the toe off and u can't adjust the toe...only a small amount...so after I installed the camber arm it made the car look like it had 4 wheel steering! So would that mean I need to buy adjustable toe arms to achieve a flush look?
Attached Thumbnails camber toe adjustment-screenshot_2015-02-16-21-17-01.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:12 PM
kaj

you should have one arm that adjusts camber and another that does toe. if you are DDing the car, i would agree you want much less camber.
even my race car only has 2.5F and 1.5R (though it's not a X).
Old Feb 18, 2015, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
you should have one arm that adjusts camber and another that does toe. if you are DDing the car, i would agree you want much less camber.
even my race car only has 2.5F and 1.5R (though it's not a X).
And you've tuned this camber using what? IR thermometer? Or just corner feel? And what tires are you using? And the size? I ask because i just switched tires and have yet to dial in my camber on this 30 sidewall 295. Its requiring much less camber than my stock sized MPSS, which is def a good thing. 9 suspension geometry is nearly identical to x geometry, so there are more similarities than you think.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gabes_evox
Ok so this picture is the bottom of the rear end on the evo x... if u were to tighten the camber arm (red one) then it will throw the toe off and u can't adjust the toe...only a small amount...so after I installed the camber arm it made the car look like it had 4 wheel steering! So would that mean I need to buy adjustable toe arms to achieve a flush look?
I see what you're saying now.... you want your wheels flush and you want to adjust your track width to get it where you need while achieving reasonable toe/camber settings. You'll definately need aftermarket toe and camber arms to do this. My subframe and eccentric bolts on my toe arms are totally shot, so i need to purchase toe arms if i plan on aligning my car again. To my knowledge, Megan is the only company to make toe arms for our car. I need to do more research on this myself.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:20 PM

If you want reliable camber in the front, i suggest getting the toe arms as well. I have been running both the camber and toe arms and have great success getting my setup where I want it. It also takes me about 15min to dial in the rear. -2 degrees up front is a good start if you track the car. If it is DD, I really wouldn't go past 2, and 1.5 to stock if you are a big highway cruiser.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

hispanicpanic, how much camber did you have dialed in before you started noticing significant inner tread wear on your PSS? I have -2.0 in the Front and noticed significant wear on the stock advans at < 10k miles. just curious what I should dial in on my new 275/35 PSS in the spring
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:23 PM
kaj

And you've tuned this camber using what? IR thermometer? Or just corner feel? And what tires are you using? And the size? I ask because i just switched tires and have yet to dial in my camber on this 30 sidewall 295. Its requiring much less camber than my stock sized MPSS, which is def a good thing. 9 suspension geometry is nearly identical to x geometry, so there are more similarities than you think.
temp, visual tire wear (using chalk), feel, and lap times. heavy on the feel part. also advice from a couple people that know what they are doing WAY more than i do LOL.
255 RS-3s, tire pressure depends on the course. i've tried a bit more camber and noticed no improvement in handling, but felt a bit of a decrease in braking (may have been my imagination, as i have no way to prove it).
2.5/1.5 is brutal for daily driving, though LOL

Quick Reply: camber toe adjustment