Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help please. 18x9 +34 offset?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please. 18x9 +34 offset?

I got some wheels with those specs, and I currently have 20mm Garageline hubcentric spacers (with studs that came on those) on all four hubs. Wanted the stock wheels to sit a little flusher after I lowered the car.

The issue I'm having is when I tried to mount the new wheels up front it didn't clear. It scratched my brembo a little :'( any suggestion's or recommendations on if I should get a universal 5 - 10mm to "safely" clear the front brakes? And if it'll be "ok" to put 5mm or so on already 20mm spacers from these Garageline guys?

Please don't flame, I used the search button already but "spacers on spacers" didn't work.

Last edited by Vizzle; Mar 22, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
do NOT stack spacers.

in all honesty, i'd advise getting different wheels if they don't fit with a 20mm spacers.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
do NOT stack spacers.

in all honesty, i'd advise getting different wheels if they don't fit with a 20mm spacers.
Already bought, can't return :/ need to make this work regardless. I read wheel and offset guide here on evo x and thought I was good to go after reading the guide but found out I wasn't the hard way.

Anyone else have suggestions on what size spacer I should get? I really don't want to have to buy a set of 25mm for the front JUST to clear when I can easily slap on a 5mm on top :/ I'm not tracking the car or anything lol, just wanted to hear some opinions of what size to get as far as spacer size goes.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vizzle
Already bought, can't return :/ need to make this work regardless. I read wheel and offset guide here on evo x and thought I was good to go after reading the guide but found out I wasn't the hard way.

Anyone else have suggestions on what size spacer I should get? I really don't want to have to buy a set of 25mm for the front JUST to clear when I can easily slap on a 5mm on top :/ I'm not tracking the car or anything lol, just wanted to hear some opinions of what size to get as far as spacer size goes.
Are you kidding me? Your too lazy to do the SAFE thing and just buy new spacers? I'm glad you feel your life, and/or someone else's life is worth the risk of being cheap and just "adding a spacer on top of another one". Spacers are already a risk as it is.

When I ran RPF1's on my evo 8 I had to run 20mm spacers up front. I torqued them down to spec, drove on them for about 100-200 miles, then torqued them down again for safety precaution. Guess what, less than 80 miles later the spacer started backing out on my while I was on the highway. The wheel was literally being held on by a few threads. I thanked god that what could have happened, didn't happen.

Ill personally never run a wheel that needs a spacer ever again. Don't be an idiot, if you must run that wheel setup, buy the proper hub centric spacer.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Are you kidding me? Your too lazy to do the SAFE thing and just buy new spacers? I'm glad you feel your life, and/or someone else's life is worth the risk of being cheap and just "adding a spacer on top of another one". Spacers are already a risk as it is.

When I ran RPF1's on my evo 8 I had to run 20mm spacers up front. I torqued them down to spec, drove on them for about 100-200 miles, then torqued them down again for safety precaution. Guess what, less than 80 miles later the spacer started backing out on my while I was on the highway. The wheel was literally being held on by a few threads. I thanked god that what could have happened, didn't happen.

Ill personally never run a wheel that needs a spacer ever again. Don't be an idiot, if you must run that wheel setup, buy the proper hub centric spacer.
^ Useless rant but whatever. Just bought a new set of 4x 25mm hubcentric spacers from garageline. If all else fails, I'll just take the continental dw tires off of those new summer wheels and put them on my stock enkei's :/ Was trying to have a summer wheel and winter wheel setup, hopefully the 25mm's will work. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by Vizzle; Mar 22, 2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: nevermind went ahead and bought new spacers.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ Useless rant but whatever. Just bought a new set of 4x 25mm hubcentric spacers from garageline. If all else fails, I'll just take the continental dw tires off of those new summer wheels and put them on my stock enkei's :/ Was trying to have a summer wheel and winter wheel setup, hopefully the 25mm's will work. Thanks anyway.
It seems like a 25-30mm spacer is what you need.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:41 PM
kaj

that's a crazy spacer and puts quite a bit of torque on the hubs. i dunno, but people do run those quite often and i don't know that i've ever heard of any negative effects.
as long as you are just daily driving on them, i'm sure they would be okay. but don't quote me on that.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
stacking spacers should be out of the question. don't be stupid.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
It seems like a 25-30mm spacer is what you need.
Hope so! Garageline doesn't make anything larger then 25mm apparently :/ But with the current spacer I have and being lowered, the car it's fairly tucked atm. Hopefully the extra 5mm I'll get from that 25mm will help it clear. Might be super tight but *fingers crossed* it'll work.

I'll post pictures if I can for anyone that was curious if I can fit them on lol.
(FYI for those who DIY like I do, when you take off spacers or wheels for that matter, you should scrub the mating surface with a wire brush to get the build up that settled inbetween the wheel hub and the hub's surface. You can add anti-sieze or whatever it's called and that stuff to the lug nuts to help keep them nice and tight)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
that's a crazy spacer and puts quite a bit of torque on the hubs. i dunno, but people do run those quite often and i don't know that i've ever heard of any negative effects.
The reason that you haven't heard of any negative effects is that the "torque on the hubs" only depends on final offset (i.e., wheel's offset minus spacer's thickness). Fpr example, a +34 wheel with a 25mm spacer is the same, with regard to the hub, as a +24 wheel with a 15mm spacer.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Might be super tight but *fingers crossed* it'll work.
I'm totally with you, dude. People who measure stuff before buying aren't real men. Heck, they probably ask for directions, too, just to make sure that they aren't late for dinner and miss out on quiche night.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I'm totally with you, dude. People who measure stuff before buying aren't real men. Heck, they probably ask for directions, too, just to make sure that they aren't late for dinner and miss out on quiche night.
Hah, thanks . IDK why people flame so hard on these forums, probably deters people to want to ask questions and look for honest feedback. Reminds me of this video
no offense to anyone who IS like this. But we all know they're out there...

I'm no mechanic, but after being in the Army for so long and working on Humvee's or LMTV's and other heavy machinery, I learned that getting your hands dirty isn't a bad thing lol. Just sucks tbh, but I learn something about my car everytime I throw it on the lift.

Next thing to do if these end up fitting (after rescrubbing surfaces again etc and putting on the 25mm spacers) is to throw it on the alignment rack and see how she fairs. I saw the rear camber bolt + front bolt on the shocks/struts that you can flip for +/-1*'s. Then I gotta see if the toe's are zero'd as well :/ Seems fairly easy, luckily I have a full shop available to me since there's one on every Army base I've ever been to. nothing a little elbow grease and a will can't fix

Oh... the best thing my buddies and I have picked up from that video is... "YOU'RE CAR IS GAYYYYYY". HAHAHAH, we say it to each other all the time. It's a running joke now :P
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:43 PM
kaj

The reason that you haven't heard of any negative effects is that the "torque on the hubs" only depends on final offset (i.e., wheel's offset minus spacer's thickness). Fpr example, a +34 wheel with a 25mm spacer is the same, with regard to the hub, as a +24 wheel with a 15mm spacer.

maybe. seems like there would be additional load on the hub. instead of it of being placed directly on the hub assembly, it's 25mm to the outside which is harder on the bearings.
speaking of a leverage point of view, that is.
maybe 25mm isn't enough to matter. just thinking out loud.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
maybe. seems like there would be additional load on the hub. instead of it of being placed directly on the hub assembly, it's 25mm to the outside which is harder on the bearings.
speaking of a leverage point of view, that is.
maybe 25mm isn't enough to matter. just thinking out loud.
I'd keep those thoughts to yourself, given that many members have taken classes in both simple physics and geometry by the end of high school.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:55 PM
kaj

I'd keep those thoughts to yourself, given that many members have taken classes in both simple physics and geometry by the end of high school.
I'll keep my thoughts to myself the day you keep your comments to yourself. :-)
How else is anyone supposed to learn anything?
If a 25mm spacer isn't big enough to damage anything, it's fine with me and good to know. Makes me feel better about the 20mm I run on the front.

Fwiw, this diagram illustrates what I was thinking:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads20/Spacer1333685079.jpg

Last edited by kaj; Mar 24, 2015 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Help please. 18x9 +34 offset?