Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

coilovers overkill?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilovers overkill?

so i know there are already a million threads on coils versus springs, but i still haven't found the right choice for me. I want to lower my car mainly to get rid of the wheel gap, i don't plan on taking this car to the track. Its my daily driver and i like to take it out to the twisty roads when I have the time, so i would still enjoy improved handling. Would coilovers be overkill for me? if i were to buy coilovers they would be less than 1500$, so are they even worth considering at that price point or should i just get the eibach pro kit and call it a day?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't want to spend a whole lot on coilovers so I went with Racecomp Engineering lowering springs. I also got the Whiteline Front Roll Center kit to help with the handling when it's lowered. I'm hoping this combo works out for me.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
to put it simply, yes.

to get a cheap set of coilovers you're still going to spend about $900-$1300, there maybe some for less, but lets get serious... they will do EXACTLY what you want, which is get rid of the wheel gap. They will also cause a harsher ride, bounce, and probably won't last very well on a DD.

Since you won't be tracking the car, I assume you won't be worried about adjusting for this or that, height, rebound, etc., which you'll be hard pressed to find that type of true adjustability in cheaper coilovers anyway.

Springs, on the other hand, will provide you with EXACTLY what you're looking for... less wheel gap. With the springs, you might get a bit more bouncy of a ride, but your stock struts will still provide at least somewhat proper dampening (theoretically, you should get them revalved to match your setup, but manufacturers put at least a little R&D into this.) so you won't jar your teeth out cruising down a street.

I'm all for coilovers on cars that need them. My track STi has coilovers, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. My DD Evo X has springs waiting to be installed for the very reasons I mentioned above.

However, if you REALLY feel you need coilovers because all the cool kids are doing it. I would suggest not skimping on quality and picking up something like KW V3's with some decent tophats. These are a reasonably streetable coilover, and KW is an awesome company to deal with.

tl;dr: springs
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Fortune Auto 500 coilovers are a bit over $1k and you can talk to the guys at FA to set them up for a good street ride, that will definitely work better, and ride better than stock shocks with springs. And then you can set your ride height where you want it.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm more all or nothing. I haven't been in an Evo with only springs that didn't harm the ride somewhat, particularly after years of use wearing the shocks.

Live with stock ride height or pony up for some decent coilovers. Lowering for cosmetic purposes on a car that has such high agility and grip doesn't make sense to me.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find Hipermax IV GTs in that price range and not only will they give you the drop you're looking for, they'll actually improve the ride compared to stock. Because you'll adjust ride height with the bottom brackets on the shocks, the shock stroke and spring rate and ride quality isn't affected.

I've had them on my X for ~35,000 miles now. Everyone that's been in my car, from Mitsu. R&D test drivers to my 70 year old step-dad, loves the way it rides.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get some ohlins my friend had them and they are amazing
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
under $1.5K the best solution is the good springs.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 07:53 PM

If you have to wonder if they're overkill, then they're overkill.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ardevas09
to put it simply, yes.

to get a cheap set of coilovers you're still going to spend about $900-$1300, there maybe some for less, but lets get serious... they will do EXACTLY what you want, which is get rid of the wheel gap. They will also cause a harsher ride, bounce, and probably won't last very well on a DD.

Since you won't be tracking the car, I assume you won't be worried about adjusting for this or that, height, rebound, etc., which you'll be hard pressed to find that type of true adjustability in cheaper coilovers anyway.

Springs, on the other hand, will provide you with EXACTLY what you're looking for... less wheel gap. With the springs, you might get a bit more bouncy of a ride, but your stock struts will still provide at least somewhat proper dampening (theoretically, you should get them revalved to match your setup, but manufacturers put at least a little R&D into this.) so you won't jar your teeth out cruising down a street.

I'm all for coilovers on cars that need them. My track STi has coilovers, and I wouldn't trade them for the world. My DD Evo X has springs waiting to be installed for the very reasons I mentioned above.

However, if you REALLY feel you need coilovers because all the cool kids are doing it. I would suggest not skimping on quality and picking up something like KW V3's with some decent tophats. These are a reasonably streetable coilover, and KW is an awesome company to deal with.

tl;dr: springs
^
Old Sep 29, 2015, 04:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
just keep it simple and do springs. most are progressive rate and work just fine.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 05:33 AM

I got some used KWs from a user here and they are amazing. For twisty roads and everything else you throw at them. One important thing to consider whichever choice you make is not to cheap out on tires. Lowering the car changes the handling, acceleration and braking due to less body roll. Good rubber will enhance the results, cheap tires will detract. Especially on twisty roads at speed.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by 6ixof1
I got some used KWs from a user here and they are amazing. For twisty roads and everything else you throw at them. One important thing to consider whichever choice you make is not to cheap out on tires. Lowering the car changes the handling, acceleration and braking due to less body roll. Good rubber will enhance the results, cheap tires will detract. Especially on twisty roads at speed.
So many people don't understand this. Makes me sad when I see nice cars rolling around on Nexen's, falkens, Ling Long's, etc...lol
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats so terrible about having a space between your fenders and wheels? Are you worried your evo won't look like a sports car? VW puts a lot of effort into that whole thing. I would never buy a vw.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:56 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So many people don't understand this. Makes me sad when I see nice cars rolling around on Nexen's, falkens, Ling Long's, etc...lol
I daily on Nittos, Falken, etc. They last foreeeeeever.
Sorry if I make you sad 😛

Quick Reply: coilovers overkill?