Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Thoughts on Toda Fightex Coilovers and Roll Center Kit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thoughts on Toda Fightex Coilovers and Roll Center Kit?

Hey guys,

I need some input on all things suspension here. First, some background:

I'm new to modding suspension, so keep that in mind here. I daily drive my Evo (2015 MR), including in winter in Ohio, and likely will never track the car. Sure I like to push it on some windy roads here and there, but nothing I'm doing will be for competitions' sake. It's all for looks or DD enjoyment, not shaving 1/10 sec off of a lap time.

I just bought a bunch of parts for the car, including some 18x10.5 +22 TE37SLs (with Michelin PSS 275/35/R18s) and Victory Function +15mm front fenders (just for the looks really, I don't need the 15mm). I know I'll hear it for getting wide fronts and not rears or for not going more aggressive with the wheels, but hear me out. I do want to be able to go back to stock when I sell this car, so I can't drill and bolt into the rear fenders (as much as I'd like to), and don't want to roll them flat and pull them. Also, none of this would really last too long with all the salt here in the winter. So, I'll end up with some negative camber in the rear and a moderate roll and I should be fine (I think).

I'm looking for coilovers that are quality, have adjustable ride height (at least stock to -1 inch), adjustable camber, and adjustable damping (not necessarily independent compression/rebound). I also need them to be able to handle the winter weather and corrosion. I would also like them to not need rebuilt frequently or have the nitrogen pressure charged (for separate tank types) often, as this is a DD. I want this to be a set it and forget it type of system, after I dial in the handling. I will lower the car for summer and raise it (well, to stock height anyways) for the winter. So ride height adjustment independent of spring preload is helpful here. I'm not going for "slammed" as this just doesn't work well with the local road conditions (potholes, hills, steep driveway entrances, roadkill, etc.). Also, I'm all about clean installs, so features like slots for mounting the ABS sensors instead of zip ties like many coilovers have makes me happy.

Now, my questions start here:

I'm looking at the Toda Fightex Type DA coilovers for my car. Yes, they are pricey, but are they overkill? I'm going with all quality parts here for my build (Akrapovic exhaust, FQ400 Body parts, AMS engine goodies, etc.) so I want something of equal quality, but I also don't just want to throw money away. So, will these be good? Is the standard 12k/10k spring rates too stiff for my purpose? Some reviews suggest the high spring rates are fine with a middle damper setting. I know these are relatively unknown/rare, so here are some links if it helps:

http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/prod...mper/cz4a.html

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...r-evolution-x/

Now, as I said, I plan to lower the car for the summer and raise it for the winter. When lowered, a roll center correction kit seems to be recommended. But, when I raise the car back up for winter, what will this do to my handling? No, I won't be driving like a jackass on snowy roads (unless I find a safe place for that), but I don't want to lose control easily and get in an accident due to weird steering issues. So, what would you guys recommend I do here? I'm not going to re-install the OEM parts for the winter and the put the RCK back in for summer. I do run Blizzaks for the winter, so that helps with the snow, but I still don't want any weird issues causing problems.

Is there anything else I should consider here? Either a different direction entirely, or a different coilover brand, or other parts (sway bars, endlinks, etc.) to help make my setup more flexible or easily adaptable for the seasons here?

Thanks a bunch guys. I know many of you are very educated/experienced with this, and I'd like to learn from your successes and mistakes, rather than my own.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would skip those coilovers, I would get either KW or Ohlins they are more well known and proven, im not sure about the priceing on the ones your looking at I didn't see one. And I would just skip the roll center adjustment kit.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
I would skip those coilovers, I would get either KW or Ohlins they are more well known and proven, im not sure about the priceing on the ones your looking at I didn't see one. And I would just skip the roll center adjustment kit.
Do you know anything bad about the Toda's? Or are you just saying the KW and Ohlins are more popular?

Price is ~$3400 for a set of Toda Fightex.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I mean I guess if you want to be different and jdm then I guess you can get those, but I mean honestly that seems like a waste of money. No I don't know anything about them but there spring rates are pretty much backwards to what most people would consider to be optimal for the evo, from whats listed on your link there. But hey ur money ur car do what makes you happy!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I mean I guess if you want to be different and jdm then I guess you can get those, but I mean honestly that seems like a waste of money. No I don't know anything about them but there spring rates are pretty much backwards to what most people would consider to be optimal for the evo, from whats listed on your link there. But hey ur money ur car do what makes you happy!
Understood, thanks for the input.

Like I said I'm new to the suspension here so I appreciate any feedback, pro or con.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you have the money, I say why not. The risk is that there is not a lot of information on the Fightex on this side of the pond. But on the other hand, you are getting a product that is made in-house by Toda.....those guys know what the **** they are doing
Old Feb 28, 2016, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by awhit17
If you have the money, I say why not. The risk is that there is not a lot of information on the Fightex on this side of the pond. But on the other hand, you are getting a product that is made in-house by Toda.....those guys know what the **** they are doing
Yeah, that's kind of what I felt from my research.

Any personal experience with Toda as a brand?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionX
Yeah, that's kind of what I felt from my research.

Any personal experience with Toda as a brand?
I have personally dealt with their S2000 cams, cam gears, header and K series timing chain tensioner.

Every single K-Series aftermarket chain tensioner was riddled with reliability issues....except the Toda.

S2000 headers often offer no gains over the OEM unit...the Toda is one of the rare exceptions.

The cams and cam gears were the highest quality item of each category I've ever handled. Sooooo nice.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I also have only ever dealt with there engine parts, ive never known anybody to buy any of there suspension stuff.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys.

So, judging from their quality for more engine-related parts, the suspension should be just as exceptional, right? It looks like KW V3's are the popular "quality" suspension, will Toda be that much better (for an extra grand)? Speculation is welcome here too... I know very few people have the Fightex coilovers.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys.

So, judging from their quality for more engine-related parts, the suspension should be just as exceptional, right? It looks like KW V3's are the popular "quality" suspension, will Toda be that much better (for an extra grand)? Speculation is welcome here too... I know very few people have the Fightex coilovers.

I think they would be nicer than the KWs quality-wise. Performance-wise who knows, but I'm pretty sure Toda makes a lot of the suspension components for their formula teams.....so it's not like they have no experience in suspension stuff.

If you can afford it and like owning rare, quality pieces I think that is reason enough to get them.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Well man I hate to be Debbie downer here but if you ever need to get them rebuilt your sol...Ohlins would also be much better the the KW's but either one of those are tried and true and can be rebuilt without much issue.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Modified magazine did a stock to Toda coilover test on track, it dropped a pretty decent amount of time. I don't remember how much but I remember being surprised about it. Editor also said they rode pretty nice as well.

he's on this board, you can pm him to chime in on this thread. his name is pstl_pete
Old Mar 1, 2016, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well man I hate to be Debbie downer here but if you ever need to get them rebuilt your sol...Ohlins would also be much better the the KW's but either one of those are tried and true and can be rebuilt without much issue.
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just DD my Evo though, shouldn't they last pretty long without beating on them at a track? I do have another summer car, so I should have the time to spare for a lengthy ship and rebuild process, and would always have my OEM parts to fall back on.

Originally Posted by warmmilk
Modified magazine did a stock to Toda coilover test on track, it dropped a pretty decent amount of time. I don't remember how much but I remember being surprised about it. Editor also said they rode pretty nice as well.

he's on this board, you can pm him to chime in on this thread. his name is pstl_pete
I think you're referring to these?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...olution-x-gsr/

Yeah, it's definitely a pretty positive review. This is where I first heard of Toda and was instantly a fan.

Thanks a lot for the reference to his username. I'll have to shoot him a PM if he's still active on here.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 05:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just DD my Evo though, shouldn't they last pretty long without beating on them at a track? I do have another summer car, so I should have the time to spare for a lengthy ship and rebuild process, and would always have my OEM parts to fall back on.
I think you're referring to these?

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...olution-x-gsr/

Yeah, it's definitely a pretty positive review. This is where I first heard of Toda and was instantly a fan.

Thanks a lot for the reference to his username. I'll have to shoot him a PM if he's still active on here.
thats the one, I could have swore it was a Modified article though...
He also has a youtube channel called Speed Academy, so if you don't get through to him here you could try him on there (I swear I'm not a stalker)

about wearing out coilovers, street use isn't exactly gentle on them either. Potholes and exposure to the elements can contribute a lot to that too.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Toda Fightex Coilovers and Roll Center Kit?