Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bleeding my brakes what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding my brakes what do I need to know?

Okay, so this is what I know so far.

Brake bleed order:
Driver Rear, Passenger Front, Passenger Rear, and Driver Front.

I am going to be using the Motive 107 Brake System Power Bleeder and using Castrol SRF Brake Fluid.

Anything else I should know? How many Liters of brake fluid do I need? do I need to do the clutch as well?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2016, 10:53 AM

I personally can never get a good bleed with those stupid power bleeders. Maybe I'm incompetent. I have a buddy sit in the car and help me with the bleed. Brake pedal is FIRM for track days so I'll keep using that method.

You should need about half a liter to flush the entire system. Might as well do the clutch since it shares the same reservoir with the brake fluid. Good luck.
Old May 20, 2016, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Its actually passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. Power bleeder usually works on to ge the old fluid pulled out, and the new fluid pulled through. I usually do a few bleeds per bleeder with the pedal after I use a power bleeder though. Also, do the outside bleeder, then the inside bleeder.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just did my first change with the Motive 107. Worked great. It was a little slower than I expected, so I may just pick up a vacuum bleeder from Motive.
Old May 21, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by rico05
I just did my first change with the Motive 107. Worked great. It was a little slower than I expected, so I may just pick up a vacuum bleeder from Motive.
Stupid question but should I jack up the whole car, it's what I'm planning to do. Just want to be sure. I tried finding a how to on this car but couldn't find one
Old May 21, 2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Its actually passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front. Power bleeder usually works on to ge the old fluid pulled out, and the new fluid pulled through. I usually do a few bleeds per bleeder with the pedal after I use a power bleeder though. Also, do the outside bleeder, then the inside bleeder.
Haha crap thanks for the correction! Will definitely do that. Should I also do the clutch? How would I go about doing that?
Old May 21, 2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by PracticalDriver
I personally can never get a good bleed with those stupid power bleeders. Maybe I'm incompetent. I have a buddy sit in the car and help me with the bleed. Brake pedal is FIRM for track days so I'll keep using that method.

You should need about half a liter to flush the entire system. Might as well do the clutch since it shares the same reservoir with the brake fluid. Good luck.
How would I do the clutch?
Old May 21, 2016, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I find it easiest to jack the whole car up and take off all four wheels at once.

Lift the rear via the rear diff, and the front use the chassis leg just as it goes up to the fire wall. Jack points are here:

As for the clutch, all you have to do is pressurize the Motive bleeder and then crack open the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.

Old May 25, 2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rico05
I find it easiest to jack the whole car up and take off all four wheels at once.

Lift the rear via the rear diff, and the front use the chassis leg just as it goes up to the fire wall. Jack points are here:

As for the clutch, all you have to do is pressurize the Motive bleeder and then crack open the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder.

Thank you! Will be doing it tomorrow.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Content removed for inaccuracy

Last edited by Sawdust; May 27, 2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Removed content for inaccuracy
Old May 27, 2016, 03:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you have new pads on when you bleed them.
If you do it with worn pads and add fluid, when you replace the pads your gonna have to much fluid.

Or if its not low on fluid dont add fluid until you replace the pads later.
Old May 27, 2016, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawdust
Jaycee, since you posted in Evo X forum, I assume you're asking about the X, so your order matches the Evo X Service Manual found online.Is that for Evo 8/9?
No, it's for a left hand drive Evo. You start furthest away from the master, then bleed that hydraulic circuit together. So what I said it correct. The picture you posted looks like a right drive diagram.