Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need some help with better handling.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with better handling.

So I have got a good handle for the difference between the evo 8 I have and the evo X i daily.

I feel the rear is looser going into a corner especially when going down hill. I have some mods to take better care of some issues wondering on what your guys thoughts are to help me. And I have some money to burn.

I have good near track tires.
BC coilovers
Hawk HP plus brakes
Titanium back plates.

Thats it.

My thought was to get a rear sway bar to pull some understeer I had with driving.
Also I was reading endlinks seem to be a weak point for the X?

I dont want to leave it to chance and put a bigger RSB and have an endlink brake. But does the front need replaced endlinks as well?

Are there any other worth while mods out there?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone
Old Jun 16, 2016, 01:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostfarmer
So I have got a good handle for the difference between the evo 8 I have and the evo X i daily.

I feel the rear is looser going into a corner especially when going down hill. I have some mods to take better care of some issues wondering on what your guys thoughts are to help me. And I have some money to burn.

BC coilovers
Hawk HP plus brakes
Titanium back plates.

Thats it.

My thought was to get a rear sway bar to pull some understeer I had with driving.
Also I was reading endlinks seem to be a weak point for the X?

I dont want to leave it to chance and put a bigger RSB and have an endlink brake. But does the front need replaced endlinks as well?

Are there any other worth while mods out there?
so you feel the car is too loose but you wanna put a rear sway bar on it to get reduce understeer? which will make it more loose...

can you be a little more clear about what you don't like and what you're trying to achieve?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
I feel the rear is looser going into a corner especially when going down hill.
BC coilovers
Hawk HP plus brakes
Titanium back plates.
Did you have this "looser" feeling rear end when you were on the stock suspension? What are the spring rates on the BC coilovers? Have you tried adjusting the rebound on the rear coilovers?

The easy answer is to just copy someone else's tried and true setup (spring rates/sway bars/tires/alignment). The hard way, is trial and error.

I suspect the nose of your car is diving under braking downhill. So most of the cars weight is shifting forward and the butt raises into the air. You may even be going tripod as you turn in. Stiffer front springs should help reduce that. Get a friend to watch/video you at this moment so you can actually see what the car is doing.

What kind of "feel" do you want when all is said and done?

Last edited by nemsin; Jun 16, 2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the responses. I am looking for a stiffer well planted mountain car. I thought a stiffer rear would help but you think its stiffer spring rates up front. I believe bc coilovers ar 8k front and 7 rear. I have an evo 8 for full blown track. But with the 2.3 fp black combo things get out of control quick on a downhill.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say 100% get adjustable sway bars and endlinks. Front adjustable if possible but probably not available. Then the beefier end links. Stock work but you want to dial them in on ramps to have no pre load on the suspension. Then play with them. I recently tightened my rear bar up and got all the pre load out and it's a different car. Improved the suspension unbelievably.

Here is a good reference to see what you want to change
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...ybar_setup.htm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
You'll want a higher spring rate in the rear. As far as the RSB I installed a Hotchkis 32mm RSB on my Evo X. I kept the stock endlinks cause they're not bad at all. I run the rsb on the middle setting. This made the car feel more neutral. In stock form the car will nautrally want to understeer. Loosening up the car gave the car a more balanced feel in my opinion.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Lifting the inner rear wheel on an evo while braking and turning i not uncommon. Tightening the rear has been know to exacerbate it. http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...=265225&page=2
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
What spring rates are on the coilovers?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am looking for a stiffer well planted mountain car. I thought a stiffer rear would help but you think its stiffer spring rates up front. I believe bc coilovers ar 8k front and 7 rear. I have an evo 8 for full blown track. But with the 2.3 fp black combo things get out of control quick on a downhill.
Well I would say you would want to be more around 10k/12k or 12k/12k even if you really want this thing to feel stiff and planted. Cheap coilovers on this car just don't work that well. The spring rates are usually way to low.