Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Function of Brake Dust Shields

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Function of Brake Dust Shields

So, this may be a dumb question, but what is the actual purpose of the brake dust shields? and more importantly, would brake cooling improve if they were removed? I searched and it seems like this topic hasn't been covered yet.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
here https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...s/74006/page1/
Old Jun 30, 2016, 04:21 AM

Thanks, that's great info. However, I'm wondering if there's anything specific to the design of the EVO X dust shields (or splash guards as the above article suggests is the more appropriate name) that help direct air towards the rotors? It seems as though this could be the case with some higher end applications. Is there anyone on here that has removed them from their track car?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Are you thinking about getting rid of them?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:08 AM

So, my thoughts are to run 3" ducting to the front brakes (basically copying Ryan Gates' setup from the link below) and then removing the rear dust shields and somehow positioning my stock air guides on the rear lower control arms to get a little air to the rear rotors. Still on the fence about removing the front dust shields though. Not sure if that would help or hurt once I have the air ducts.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43486
Old Jun 30, 2016, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I honestly think the difference will be minimal either way. I have run a couple track days on the evo and have never really managed to cook the brakes off the car, after I put better fluid in and pads to match. Also a few of the kits ive seen for the evo x keep the front dust shields and bolt to it and have you cut a whole through it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.binaryeng.com/products/automotive
Old Jun 30, 2016, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply! Those look pretty legit! However, seeing as this is a full blown race car, I really was looking for 3" hose (those are only 2"). I never had issues with cooking the brakes when I was doing HPDE either, but my requirements for brake cooling have increased a lot since then. I never boil fluid, but I'll occasionally get splotchy pad deposits on the front rotors from overheating the pad at faster tracks (such as Watkins Glen) which can cause some pretty awful judder. I'm also starting to get some gnarly heat fracturing on the front rotors, so it's pretty evident that I could benefit from some added cooling.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

ahhh ic I guess I mis understood your use lol. Well if your gonna run the 3 inch hose im pretty sure your not going to have much choice but to lose the dust shield then. I wouldn't see how it really will be beneficial to keep it. There is a competition section on this site they may be able to provide more details on this as well.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 04:17 AM

ahh okay, thanks for the tip! I had no idea there was a competition section. I'll have to check it out.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What package(s) do you have? I believe brake air dam guides come with the Aero package if I remember correctly.
Part # MZ555004EX, but they're not cheap.

I HAD some, but ended up snapping one in half while doing some winding roads and hit a dip in the road. So I'm running with 1.5 air guides. But obviously running your own hose is much cheaper! I know there a few members that are running the hose and have great results.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 05:18 AM

My car has (well, had) the factory Aero package, so I have the brake air guides. Once I install the brake air ducts in the front, the stock air guides will basically be irrelevant in the front, so I'm going to try to figure out a way to use the air guides for the rear brakes.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TTBEvoX
So, this may be a dumb question, but what is the actual purpose of the brake dust shields? and more importantly, would brake cooling improve if they were removed? I searched and it seems like this topic hasn't been covered yet.
It's really not a dumb question.

In some instances a brake shield/splash guard will have a scoop on the front to help direct air to the disk surface. Otherwise, typically a splash guard's purpose is not for cooling, and generally do the opposite.

General purposes
1) Prevent stones from getting caught in the disk/caliper/friction
2) Prevent water splash from decreasing your brake effectiveness
3) Protect the ball joints and steering joints from radiant disk heat
4) Can help with corrosion (sometimes)

On high performance applications a splash guard is truly only there to protect the ball joints, the new NSX is a good example of this, its extremely minimal.
In some cases, like the McLaren 12c, there is no splash guard, and there are only small shields to protect the ball joints.

Other forms of cooling added to OE vehicles are cooling ducts through the bumper, or guides in the under covers, air strakes/ deflectors on suspension arms or the knuckle. or a full duct to/towards the caliper.

I've designed a few brake splash guards in my day
Old Jul 29, 2016, 01:14 PM

Thanks so much, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Seeing as this is a time trial car and is rarely raced in the rain, I think I'm going to remove the rear splash guards. I actually just ordered 3" brake duct hose and 2 4"x 6" funnels to put adjacent to the intercooler for front brake cooling. I might still try to figure out a way to mount the stock front air guides on the rear lower control arm, we'll see how much of a hassle it turns out to be.