Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Outer tie rod ends replacement question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer tie rod ends replacement question

Hello,

Does anyone know whether an outer tie rod end (which I was told by my mechanic needs a replacement due to being worn / loose) is part of Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment kit? I've had the Whiteline RCK kit installed for years and I am wondering whether RCK is going bad?

If they are the same part, I might as well get another Whiteline RCK.

If they are NOT the same part, does it make sense to go with OEM part of aftermarket as far as outer tie rod end replacement?

I don't track but I am lowered (Swift Spec-R springs + Whiteline RCK)

Thx in advance

-kris
Old Jul 5, 2016, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes. The Whiteline RCK comes with tie rod ends and ball joints.
Did you take out the brake heat-shield? It's rare to hear the tie rod ends worn out in 1 yr.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by isaachunyu
Yes. The Whiteline RCK comes with tie rod ends and ball joints.
Did you take out the brake heat-shield? It's rare to hear the tie rod ends worn out in 1 yr.
Thx isaachunyu.
Had a feeling it was the same part; wanted to confirm to be sure.

I had RCK installed July of 2012. Car had 3100 miles back then. Fast forward 4 years (and 17k miles) and it appears one of the outer tie rod ends is going bad. Brake heat-shield was NOT removed. The only other suspension upgrades are springs and rear sways.

So, not a lot of miles driven with RCK since the install (not to mention car hasn't had any track action). Does it seem like a premature failure?

-k

PS
Noob question... Since there are outer tie rod ends, I'm assuming there are inner tie rod ends as well? Whiteline doesn't seem to offer them. Does it make sense to upgrade the inner ones at same time with better than OEMs along with RCK install (assuming that aftermarket ones exist)?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 08:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by krzys4
Thx isaachunyu.
Had a feeling it was the same part; wanted to confirm to be sure.

I had RCK installed July of 2012. Car had 3100 miles back then. Fast forward 4 years (and 17k miles) and it appears one of the outer tie rod ends is going bad. Brake heat-shield was NOT removed. The only other suspension upgrades are springs and rear sways.

So, not a lot of miles driven with RCK since the install (not to mention car hasn't had any track action). Does it seem like a premature failure?

-k

PS
Noob question... Since there are outer tie rod ends, I'm assuming there are inner tie rod ends as well? Whiteline doesn't seem to offer them. Does it make sense to upgrade the inner ones at same time with better than OEMs along with RCK install (assuming that aftermarket ones exist)?
Yes. There is an inner tie rods, but I don't think you need to touch/replace it.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-tie-rods.html

Last edited by isaachunyu; Jul 5, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
krzys4 (Jul 5, 2016)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whiteline yellow boots are known to be crap. Are you sure the ball joint is shot? Or could it just be the boot/s are torn?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghozt
The whiteline yellow boots are known to be crap. Are you sure the ball joint is shot? Or could it just be the boot/s are torn?
All I was told is that ends are worn/loose. They didn't mention boots but perhaps I should get a second opinion.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Its easy enough to jack the car up yourself and take a look. If you move the wheel back and forth while its in the air with your hand you will see the play in that ball joint and feel it.