Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Uneven tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uneven tire wear?

So right, stock X MR, after 5.8k miles there seems to be excess inner tire wear, from what I read it may be the stock alignment, or just how the suspension setup is for this car.

Anyone know if it just is bad stock alignment, or if this is what to expect out of the suspension design and that tires will see that kind of ear pattern (and thus I will likely need to replace it soon)

Speaking of, how bad is this wear, is this a replace ASAP with new tires or would they be okay with an alignment or some other work for a bit more miles (IE when the tread depth is lower)?

http://imgur.com/a/fG4Hw
Old Aug 9, 2016, 04:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
That tire is about done. It will probably cord in another 500-1000 miles. Get new tires, get an alignment.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, another follow up then, the rear tires looks normal and alright, with plenty of tread left, i have heard that if you only replace 2 tires (in this case the front ones), it will damage the center diff due to the unbalance that an alignment won't help at all.

should I just bite the bullet and replace all 4 with AD08Rs? And I would guess that the rear tires is not exactly something you can sell so they'd go into recycling or something?

Or is that bull? and that changing 2 tires at the time should have no adverse effect if aligned right.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well there is a bit more to it but long story short yes you should replace all four tires. I would choose a different tire myself for just daily driving and stuff. But then after you get an alignment the tires will last longer depending upon your driving habits of course. My stock tires were done because of the alignment by about 5 k as well...I was not pleased..
Old Aug 10, 2016, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Judging by how the tire wore, you don't drive the car very hard. So I would just put regular summer tires on it. BFG Sport Comp2's, Continental DW, or Bridgestone RE760's are the on the less expensive side but still very good, or Michelin Pilot Super Sports are on the high end of pricing but they are a bit better. All 4 are great tires and you'll be happy with either one.

You can replace two tires if the tires you're not replacing are within 2/32" (or maybe its 4/32, I'm not 100% sure) tread depth of the new tires. However, two new OEM replacement tires will be about as expensive as getting all 4 of the tires I mentioned above.