Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Hawk pads extremely npisy and lots of dust!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hawk pads extremely npisy and lots of dust!

I have hawk pads with stock rotors, they worked well for a while, but now they are noisy as hell, squeal every time, and the rotors seems overheated and have lines marked.

Is this a problem with the type of pads? should I replace them? resurface rotors? or change the whole setup, rotors and pads?

Thanks for your reply

Old Feb 29, 2024, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Brembo USA sells ceramic pads for reasonable prices at least for the 8/9's. Little to no dust and noise.

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...ad-set/P54039N

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...ad-set/P56048N

May not be as good on track as Hawk but is good for the street. Use some lube on the back of the pad where it contacts the piston and noise should be
no problem (Thin Coat). You will need to clean reuse pins and clips.

Unless you can catch a finger nail on the lines on the rotor you should just leave them alone. Wear is never quite even. Pic looks ok to me. Some lube on the back of the pad might fix what you have. Look for some brand of " Anti-Squeal". Do not get it on braking surfaces or rotors.

Brembo also sell their version B-Quiet: https://www.brembostoreusa.com/brembo-b-quiet/

Mitsuatb

Last edited by mitsuatb; Feb 29, 2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have life left in the pads, first thing you could try is just removing the pads, cleaning the calipers/pads and greasing everything up (pins, shims, etc.). Then re-bed them. I bought girodisc shims and greased the appropriate spots, still have a little squeal now and again but nothing compared to what it was previously.

FWIW, I've had similar squeal on Hawk (HPS & HP+), EBC, etc. I learned its more about the grease and bed-in procedure vs. the actual pad/rotor. I've thrown money at new pads and rotors before and had the same damn squeal.

The following users liked this post:
Jp7 (Mar 1, 2024)
Old Mar 1, 2024, 02:44 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Agree with guy above me... usually this is because of improper / lack of lubrication in the right places. I had hawk pads in my car.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
will try to grease and see if it helps. Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2024, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 447 Likes on 382 Posts
I put grease on the pins and springs contact points. I "resurface" the shims and backing plate with aluminum tape
The following users liked this post:
WRC-LVR (Mar 6, 2024)
Old Sep 23, 2024, 07:06 PM

Most of the time it is the compound. Very tough to get rid to the squeal with out changing pads.
Old Sep 24, 2024, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Abyram
Most of the time it is the compound. Very tough to get rid to the squeal with out changing pads.
I have bought several used pads because the owners/shops failed taming the squeal greasing moving parts/contact points (+ some brake dust) definitely got rid of the squealing for me. I'm refreshing the hubs/rotors/pads currently and this time I want to try RTV on the springs and pins
Old Sep 24, 2024, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I have bought several used pads because the owners/shops failed taming the squeal greasing moving parts/contact points (+ some brake dust) definitely got rid of the squealing for me. I'm refreshing the hubs/rotors/pads currently and this time I want to try RTV on the springs and pins
I tried all those methods on my IX without success, perhaps I didn't give it long enough to build up dust. I ended up turning the rotors and changed pads and it fixed it for me.
Old Sep 24, 2024, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Abyram
I tried all those methods on my IX without success, perhaps I didn't give it long enough to build up dust. I ended up turning the rotors and changed pads and it fixed it for me.
I love the StreetRace pads so much I had to make it work (very dirty tho). another thing I do is put 3m aluminum tape in between pads/shims/cylinder then sandwich some hawk's brake grease. that reduces the transfer of the vibration.