Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

any group buy of RRM +30 wHP kit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have two parts of the "kit" as you guys are calling it. Intake and Piggyback. I installed the piggyback first and I must say yet again that the gains are amazing throughout the entire powerband. Much smoother down low and the kick at high rpm's is just amazing. And that was on a completely stock car.

I added the intake and i must say that the increase was pleasant, but not extremely signifgant. Smooths out the high end a little, as the engine likes to breathe some when the valve timing changes. Intake should definately be done, great sound, but dont expect too much.

If you do a search on this forum you will find approx. 100 threads that all say the same thing: "The stock Ralliart exhaust setup was really good when it rolled out of the factory and there isn't much you can do to improve it" and I'm willing to agree. If you crawl under the car you'll notice a pretty large mandrel bent pipe coming from a really decent factory header, going into an already free flowing exhaust. The only thing you get for 300+ dollars in most cases is a deeper sound. I personlly dont think that $300 is worth it for maybe one or two horses at this point, but that is up to everyone individually.

My point? Well, the piggyback is the best mod for the money, hands down. Sure you have to use at least 91 octane, but thats only about 2 more dollars a fill up, and I'm not that poor. You also lose a little MPG, I went from 23 to 21 under the same mix of city and highway (mostly city). Again, not enough of a difference for the amount of performance that I recieved.

And is it possible that you can get 30 WHP from these mods? Yes, fairly optimistic, but yes. I would skip the exhaust though.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt that my experiances might be helpful.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

^^ cool beans thx for the feedback on your experience. I think I may do the exhaust too though, it sounds good.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:48 AM

thx man, i decide to do the ECU first
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

I have the CAI and the cat delete on my car and there is a big difference from stock. I noticed a pretty good gain from just the CAI, you can really hear it sucking from about 3k. After I put on the downpipe the car got loud as hell, I really need to get my axle back because the stock exhaust pipe is way too small considering all the other piping is 2-2.5 inch and the tip is less than 2 inch. I want to get the piggyback next, from what every one is saying it sounds like its worth it.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the record, I also have the ECU and intake. I got the intake first (got the 2piece second hand for $100!). I did notice it give some more pickup, especially off the line. but the most noticible part was the sound. My friends though I put a new muffler on!

The ecu was a major improvement. I want to get it dyno'd soon, but I think I may have gotten most of the 30hp gain without any exhaust work. I dont think you really need to swap the exhaust until you start doing FI or other upper-exhaust work. The downpipe could use some work, though.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

i am working on getting an Emanage unit into my RA, the piggy back is fixed and can't be reprogram unless you send it back to RRM

-joe
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

www.splitsec.com. you can buy the software to read and reprogram it for like $75. Just uses an rs232 cable and will hook up to any pc/laptop /w a sereal port (looks like a vga/monitor port, but inside out, if u know what i mean).

edit: lemme know how the emanage goes. i was having doubts as to how well it would wire up /w our ecu. you may wish to ask on www.mivec.co.nz.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

btw: http://www.gizzmoelectronics.com/pro...uupgrades.html

they use this on alot of MIVEC engine in the pacific

and....

500th POST! EVOLVED MEMBER! (that could be a bad perverted pun)
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hey did you know, with this kit (if every made) we could own a mazda rx8 6speed? I just found out they dyno 170hp & 131trq. There are alot of rx8 in my area, that be sooo dope to catch one at the light,

P.S. Also, a stock RA can take an auto RX8
Old Oct 26, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Get the the RRM downpipe and ECU. Those are 2 great ones for power. And what an exhaust does isnt make power out of the motor...it frees up power to the wheels that the motor is already making. If you want to save some $$$ then buy those 2 expensive pieces and get some ebay muffler that you like the look of. Make up your own mind for intake...I made mine myself. You will be planty fast right there.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

I agree.