Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would u buy a modded evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would u buy a modded evo

trying to buy used. drove a car that was modded and seemed quite quick. 15k miles and almost bald tires.. i'm new to the whole evo/sti crowd. the car felt quite solid. he has all the stock parts and such.

'03 with ecu flash, fuel pump, full exhaust no cat. intake. and that's all i can remember.

thanks,

bug
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

i was gonna buy a used modded one b4 i bought mine. so my answer is yes.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure the tranny/transfercase is in good condition. Apperently these components can wear quickly, especially in an abused awd.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
people buy a modded one and they have problems with it after 5000 miles. I wouldn't buy anything with serious mod that's not from a tuner shop.

The tranny/transfer-case/clutch is importatant but it's hard to check. I would have money to replace the clutch or have the clutch ready to be installed before I would buy that.

And get the stock cat, since you have to pass emission.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
That depends completely on how much you trust the seller. If you buy a modded car from someone that seems responsible, meticulous and knowledgeable, and who has a good reason for selling, then you are probably okay. The modded ones are the best bargains if you are intending to mod anyway.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:01 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

If warrantee is important to you, check the VIN with a dealership before buying.

The warrantee is also factored into the price of the car by Mitsubishi. If the warrantee is gone then the car is worth less -- regardless if you care or not.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
carfax always.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Hell no. It is so much better to buy a stock evo rather than modded. You dont know the car have been through with all the mods unlike stock. So I suggest to buy a stock one with lower miles and a decent price. Theres lots of evo that are selling out there that are stock and lower miles. You just gotta find one. Good luck.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

depends on the mods the ones you listed are pretty safe as long as the flash was done by a reputable company just make sure when you drive it to pay attention to any slight engine noises and pay especially close attention to the clutch
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I am deciding to sell mine and its hard to get rid of such a great car especially
one that I love but I can see that it might be dificult to sell because alot of people abuse their evo's right of the lot. My car has probably been launched 8 times and is babied proper cool down etc,. I just think if you take care of the car it will take care of you, granted there have been some defect problems buy I have never had not one of them and I have 11,600 miles. Mods are mild Hks exhaust, Turbo Xs downpipe, apexi intake, perrin ss, Tanabe springs and a few other minor stuff all done at boost solutions, and no problems to date. Just my .02. In the end be very careful with buying a used car especially one of ours, talking to the owner in person and driving the car are extremely important.

Last edited by Tracer; Nov 6, 2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Not on your life. I wouldn't buy ANY used EVO. A modded one is trouble for sure. If I want to buy a new EVO (I did), and mod it (I am) and thrash it at the racetrack (2 days so far, much more to come) and on the street (daily), that is up to me. You have no idea how that used EVO was driven.

The only people who buy EVOs want to beat the hell out of them. That's not true with lots of other performance cars. Let's take the Corvette as an example. I have been to the racetracks in SoCal a lot in the last year, and I see a lot of Z06. But it is a tiny fraction of Corvette owners that track their cars. EVOs are different. It is a performance car, pure and simple. It is not a fancy status car.

Buyer beware.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell no, cause you never know what they might have done to it
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=101139

read this post i made before you make this purchase.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

don't get me wrong. the evo is a great car, and people will continue to buy it no matter what reputation the company has simply because it is such a blast to drive, but MAKE SURE you check the cars history before you buy it unless you have the means to fix someone elses problems should they occur.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Get the car checked out by a good mech. and if it's all good I would buy it.