Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

detuning and evo? explaination inside

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are planning to get an EVO, start saving up $$$ for the insurance. It can be very expensive for young drivers like you, could be $500 a month or more. Keep those grades up at least you can get a 10% student discount.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

im definitly not planning on buying new
Old Nov 30, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

what i would do if i were you is throw yourself in front of a bus and sue everyone buddy got hit by a car when he was 12 and when he turned 18 he got 250k , now hes got a gimp leg and his own house, so ha!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

shutta, I would seriously reconsider your ideas of the Evo for a first car. Take the money get a honda or something save the rest of the money in an account build it up for a few years then get an Evo 9 or 10 they will be better cars anyway and that will give you a little time to reinforce your driving skills and experience before stepping into a supercar. plus you will get interest and hopefully be able to pay cash on the NEW car instead of buying a used one.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shutta
im not asking for your opinion on whether you think i should get an evo or not
thanks, Jon
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:30 PM

kilterman, ask your friend if he would rather have a house or a good leg

i would choose tha latter

- Jon
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:45 PM
Account Disabled

Would you rather have a car or a bus pass?

Appreciate that your parents are getting you a car, doesn't matter what you are getting as long as you don't have to walk.....or hitch rides ....

you don't need a car to have fun
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

if your parents love you... they would not buy you a performance machine as your first ride..

is that positive enough for ya?

Last edited by budlong; Nov 30, 2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shutta
i hear what ur saying feldguy and i appreciate it, ill try to take it to heart as much as i can

and yes i know ability to drive well on a racetrack doesnt necessarily mean im a safe street driver but another thing yall need to realize is just because we are young drivers, doesnt mean we are unsafe

and yes you can get into trouble in any car, but an evo with 10 lbs of boost is pretty moderate compared to most sports cars - and yes, i know most kids dont get sports cars for their first (or in my case, second) car

i understand what you all are saying, and im sure most of you would love to see me in a little econobox with -10 hp but even tho im young, i like a sporty car just as much as anyone, and notice the whole point of the thread - to bring the power of an evo down for ... SAFETY

That shows more maturity what you just said there than 95% of these punks who "Can handle it and learn really quickly".

See, having a fast car, driving a fast car and being able to drive that fast car well are many different things. If you get it, drive it, learn with it and make sure you can be the best. The moral of the story I was telling was, at a young age you're more apt to show off and disregard potential hazards. I'd say, if you've got the gift, prove statistics wrong and invest in some good track time. Be the exception, God knows everyone would love to have a young firecracker Auto-Xing the hell out of a solid Evo....thats....what would be nice.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:11 PM
Account Disabled

if you like the 4g63, how about getting a mid 90s eclipse RS n/a

its not fast, but just think that it has an "evo motor" in it
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:36 PM

ok im about to start lookin at this thread guys

dont tell me to wait to have fun, its not going to be my first car, and stop being hypocrits, you bought the car to have fun - dont tell me i shouldnt get it for the same reason

JUST HELP ME BY TELLING ME A SAFE WAY TO REDUCE POWER
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

ok to reduce power, you want to take out the 16g turbo and all its accessories, install a new intake that leads directly to intake manifold, install n/a headers

a cool 120hp evo i'm guessing , its all good
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

the thing is we bought it fundamental difference we are old enough to have the means to get this vehicle on our own merrit your not. And believe me I'm not being a hypocrit When I was your age I bought my own car then too never let my parents pay a dime of it because it was MY car not to be confused with daddy's lil present to his spoiled kid.

The Evo is a powerful car plain and simple you want a less powerful version of it get a WRX its still AWD still has the turbo and lots of the similar features without the power and in reality its not that much less hp about 50 at the fly.

With the exhaust and the way the chip is mapped out stock its already compressing the power that the engine other wise would have not a lot you can do to compress it more without messing other things up on the car... not to mention your options of where to go to have the reduce the power on your car are slim as EVERY performance shop I know is in business to increase power and performance not dumb it down so that daddy will ok it for his kid.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sentinal
the thing is we bought it fundamental difference we are old enough to have the means to get this vehicle on our own merrit your not. And believe me I'm not being a hypocrit When I was your age I bought my own car then too never let my parents pay a dime of it because it was MY car not to be confused with daddy's lil present to his spoiled kid.

The Evo is a powerful car plain and simple you want a less powerful version of it get a WRX its still AWD still has the turbo and lots of the similar features without the power and in reality its not that much less hp about 50 at the fly.

With the exhaust and the way the chip is mapped out stock its already compressing the power that the engine other wise would have not a lot you can do to compress it more without messing other things up on the car... not to mention your options of where to go to have the reduce the power on your car are slim as EVERY performance shop I know is in business to increase power and performance not dumb it down so that daddy will ok it for his kid.
thats what i've been saying, the car already runs rich enough.....like a 10:1 , lowering boost to like "10 psi" will have driveability issues(YES IT WILL)
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

My second car was a 1990 Eclipse GSX. I was 17 at the time. The car was faster than 99% of the other cars on the road, and I loved it. I ended up getting in 3 true wrecks in that car, none of them were my fault. A couple of times the car ended up running off the road and having minor cosmetic damage, but this was all due to me "testing" the limits of the car in a controled environment. I had a lot of fun in that car. It was stock when I bought it, and stock power (around 200 HP at the flywheel) was enough for the car to be very fast for the time and very easy to lose control of. It took a lot of discipline to keep myself out of the throttle while on public roads, especially growing up in a town full of Mustang and Camaro owners who HATED imports. Peer pressure during high school is a mother, as we all know, but I was able to make it out alive and ended up selling the car later on. That car was what really got me into the import car world - way before the "Fast and Furious" crowd, way before most of the companies that cater to us were even in business.

I grew up doing wild stuff, defying every rule I could, and at times living like a complete idiot. I look back on it all and think to myself that the car somehow actually taught me a great deal of responsibility in its own way.

You should never judge a person's potential or their character based upon their age or their financial situation.

Look on the bright side, though..... If you do get an Evo in a couple of years, maybe all of the "The stock Evo clutch sucks", "My car grinds between 1st and 2nd", and "I broke my front differential drag racing and Mitsu won't cover it" threads will be a thing of the past.

We can always dream of that perfect world.

Quick Reply: detuning and evo? explaination inside