Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO as First Car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he can afford to own it get it. Just make sure he doesn't think he is a drifting god and wrap it around a tree shortly after getting it.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Amen!!!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

hes 16
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=wreck+thread

Please read above link to see mindless things done with/to/in Evos by experienced and new drivers alike.

Last edited by dsmythe2; Dec 29, 2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

can u post the pics of the wrecked car b/c all i get is a red x
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

im 18 got my evo at 17 first car ... unfortunetly mom said if you want the evo you have to drive with me for a while ..... 4 months and ticking gettting old but no tickets yet. i learnd to drive stick on it too. give the kid a chance damnit !! just ride with him for a while
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

with no mods it is a good car just tell him remember everyone wrecks there first car.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Oh i for forgot about speeding tickets as well
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_il8
I'm trying to convince my bro that an evo is way to powerful of a car for a first car. What are the pros and cons? And is it a good first car for him?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105038

Don't just skin through it. Read the whole thing...and then make your bro read it too.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

The Evos a lot better idea of a first car than what my first car was, I got lucky enough to have a dad who really wanted an S2000 and so he got one instead of me getting a car when I turned 16, and I had to drive a car. Long story short, I learned to drive stick in that car, and a RWD sporty convertible is A LOT less safe and easy to handle than an Evo, any AWD car is teh best idea for a first car, regardless of power and all that. The Evo is so freakin forgiving that unless you're a total moron, you can pull out of bad situations really easy. Just make sure if he gets it, your brother doesn't end up being an @$$ on the road because he's got such a nice car as his first car. Evo was my second car at 18 for graduation, and I love it and feel a million times safer in it than the S2000, though I pick up more girls in the Honda...no one knows what the Evo is...

Oh, and I did wreck the S2000, not totalled, but Smokin has a point
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:57 PM

Insurance, maintenance and fuel is more costly than most cars, make sure you can afford it.
For the first ~a year you will be driving something beyond your abilities, which puts you at risk. You also will not learn how to use driver skill to maximize performance; the car's performance will eclipse you.
I bought way too much motorcycle for my first bike and while I didn't wreck, I regret it.
If it were me, I'd get a used AWD manual and beat the sh*t until I'd made it my *****. Once you know its limits as well as your strengths and weaknesses unload it and get the evo. The 9 might even be out by then.
The year or so of driving a lesser vehicle will make you a better driver and will minimize the costs of any minor incidents.

Anyone disagree?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh yeh, i remember that forum.

dumb kid...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

on a plus its good car to learn good maint. habits. im not condoining this, but whether it is an evo or a elantra he,s going to go fast, see its limits, we all have done it expeirenced or not. but at least the evo has outstanding handling traits, in case something goes wrong. the evo will get you out of it 9 out of 10 times. plus the braking system will stop him in time if hes going to fast. we all have done stupid stuff when we started driving. so what im saying is hes going to do stupid stuff but at least hes in a car that can handle punisment of a new driver. remember some mothers subaru wagon will also do 100 mph, but if something happens at that speed the scooby wont stop quick enough, the evo will .
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

It all depends on the maturity of the person driving the car. I got my Evo at 18 as my second standard car. My first car at 16 was a 3000gt . No tickets, no wrecks, no issues. Both cars are sports cars, and I was able to handle it... At times i do have "fun" in my driving, but its not like im trying to copy 2F2F . Some people are ready, and can handle cars with power. My roomate for example cannot. This past year he got a 2001 SS Camaro and was able to flip it on the highway with me inside . He was never a "good" driver, and it was his first standard, but he wasn't ready for a car like that. I have another friend with a 2000 WS6 who is a great driver. Age plays a role, but maturity is a bigger factor. Only YOU know if he is ready or not.

Wear seatbelts! I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't worn mine...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_il8
I'm trying to convince my bro that an evo is way to powerful of a car for a first car. What are the pros and cons? And is it a good first car for him?
Great car, but it ruin the person forever .... What car could be next?

Quick Reply: EVO as First Car