Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO as First Car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ah....are parents getting dumber, or simply deciding to substitute parental care for money? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm 19, and I'm glad I drive a lancer ES. When I got my car (17) I was cocky, inexperienced and frankly a dill hole on the road. I would never suggest getting someone a 270 hp car for their first car, the clutch will get fried, not to mention the transmission, plus there's the added risk of the kid being an idiot and crashing. Now to all the guys out there, do you remember what you were like when you were young? Would you want someone like that with basically a weapon capable of killing innocent people? I went to school with kids who's daddies decided to buy them nice cars, automatic WRXs (what a waste), BMWs, Lexus', and various imports like integras, RX-7s etc.. Many of these kids got huge speeding tickets, like 150 in a 30 zone, or simply crashed their cars into ditches, walls or other vehicles, and of course their daddies bought them a new one the next week. Tell your brother to get a cheaper, weaker car, that way he can learn the rules of the road, how to drive stick and how to handle himself. When he turns 25, and insurance is no longer standing behind him saying "Oh Nancy", he can get himself a nice car, and actually respect what he has.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Hmmm, dunno. There's always a good market for good, low mileage parts. You can usually come out ahead if you buy back your car from the insurance company as a total wreck and part it out.
Even better is to tell him to get it or a vette z06 or something , so when he wrecks the car you can part his car out and when he wrecks himself in an accident you can part his body parts out. Just by doing that, you can probably own an Enzo in no time.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Ah....are parents getting dumber, or simply deciding to substitute parental care for money? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm 19, and I'm glad I drive a lancer ES. When I got my car (17) I was cocky, inexperienced and frankly a dill hole on the road. I would never suggest getting someone a 270 hp car for their first car, the clutch will get fried, not to mention the transmission, plus there's the added risk of the kid being an idiot and crashing. Now to all the guys out there, do you remember what you were like when you were young? Would you want someone like that with basically a weapon capable of killing innocent people? I went to school with kids who's daddies decided to buy them nice cars, automatic WRXs (what a waste), BMWs, Lexus', and various imports like integras, RX-7s etc.. Many of these kids got huge speeding tickets, like 150 in a 30 zone, or simply crashed their cars into ditches, walls or other vehicles, and of course their daddies bought them a new one the next week. Tell your brother to get a cheaper, weaker car, that way he can learn the rules of the road, how to drive stick and how to handle himself. When he turns 25, and insurance is no longer standing behind him saying "Oh Nancy", he can get himself a nice car, and actually respect what he has.

Well said. He should also take a high performance driving course.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sano
Thats good to hear that you are going to race on the private courses, however its scary you have been driving since you were 13.
Why? The best drivers in the world normally start around toddler time...i would say 4-6 year old. Just to name a few, M. Schumacher, A. Senna,
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by topout
The year or so of driving a lesser vehicle will make you a better driver and will minimize the costs of any minor incidents.

Anyone disagree?
I would have to agree. It's almost like learning to drive on a F1 GP without doing any karting first. It is at best suicide and at worst involuntary manslaughter. Driving a slower car doesn't make you a slow driver. Driving a lesser car doens't make you a lesser driver. AAMF, the abilities of most people driving high performance vehicles are masked by the performance of the vehicle rather than the abilities of the driver, giving the driver an illusion that they are driving well.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm planning on getting an Evo for my first car, but here is the way I look at it, It's why your buying an Evo.
I'm getting it becuase I love ENGINES, not being cool and showing off my car. I'm getting it because I will enjoy putting mods in myself and learning all of that ****.
If he's just buying it so he can be cool and have a "pimp" ride. Get all the "hoes".
Then ofcourse he should not get the car.

If hes mature and has an actual good reason for getting a car like an EVO, then maybe he should. But if hes not actually into cars, or anything like that. I would suggest not getting it.

If anyone disagrees please let me know. Maybe u can change my opinion of getting one as MY first car
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

theres a lot of bashing of people that have the evo as thier first car in here
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TriCycle STI C
Why? The best drivers in the world normally start around toddler time...i would say 4-6 year old. Just to name a few, M. Schumacher, A. Senna,
Starting off in go-kart racing at 6 years old is a whole different world then driving a full sized, road going car at 13.

I have to agree with the majority, the EVO is way too much for a young kid. I'm going through the same thing with my best friend who wants to buy his gf/almost wife an STi, just thinking "she'll learn". I'm glad I had to start out on the family hand me down car, I drove that Saturn into the ground, and I drove like a complete idiot. Everyone can sit here and say "oh you just have to be responsible, its all about maturity" but come on, think back to how mature we all were at that age!! All it takes is one friend, or even worse, one rival, to challenge you or egg you on and boom, you think you're the king of the road cause your car goes fast when you stomp the pedal on the right. You think you know EVERYTHING in the world, every young male does, some of these posts prove that. And we all thought nothing bad could EVER happen, and maybe it didnt. I know of a car dealer who let a 16 year old test drive a used EVO in early 04. Kid knew nothing about AWD, tubo's, or the thing a lot of people are forgetting to mention, and E X T R E M E L Y quick and tight steering ratio. Kid screwed around on a highway, got it sideways, had no idea how to correct an AWD slide, whipped it around in front of a semi, boom, him and his friend are dead. This is just a test drive, no one tests a car as hard as they plan to drive it. Beginners are just not ready for a car like this, hell, I probably wasnt ready for my celica gt at 19! After a few years auto crossing with increasingly higher powered cars, I felt ready for the EVO, and even now I'm very, very cautious because I know what happens when you forget to respect powerful machines. This is one of the FASTEST factory cars in the world, not something for the meek or unexperianced.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727658

This was a rollover in an STi at 35 freakin MPH! Just because its japanese, and its reasonbly affordable, doesnt mean it isnt powerful. Would you buy a 16 year old a 911TT? No? Well, look at the stats, we arent that far behind....
Old Mar 14, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

As someone posted earlier, it doesn't matter how mature us younger fellows claim to be, once we get with our friends, we might as well have a tail and throw feces at each other, we become stupid, reckless and irrational, it's part of being young and naive. I go to university, work hard at it, but when I'm with my friends, I do stupid things, like have beer jug drinking contests, or see who can drink the most pints without puking in a urinal (I lost) etc.. All it takes is one stupid decision, and your disabled, or dead, not to mention the innocent bystanders involved. As Tricycle pointed out, having a slower car does not mean you drive slower, I'm usely the lead car on the highway, all it means is you have a controllable amount of power, it's harder to lose control over a civic than it is over an evo, generally speaking of course.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I dont understand all of you, there are called people who dont act like ****ing ****tards with thier friends. I'm not saying I cant act stupid, but my friends def dont influence me to doing anything stupid. Ill just tlel them to stfu, It depends if you are going after the whole "cool" image, that is the ONLY reason your friends or anyone else would have influence on the so called "stupid" decesions that you have to make.
If your not a stupid guy, it doesnt matter, I can be as wild as anyone, but I know when things are stupid (Drinking Pint Contest), I hope you guys felt really really really ****ing cool after.

I'm sorry but owning an Evo has nothing to do with your age, it is maturity, and half of the 25 yearolds on here are just as immature when it comes to almost all things as half the 15-20 yearolds on here.
Besides the brain only fully matures at 25, so nobody over 16 should be looked at any differently as a 24 yearold, because basically they are the same, just the 24 yearold has done more stupid things, so doesnt do them as often, but still does them.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Its called being young, everyone says "oh I don't listen to peer pressure" but we all know thats complete and utter bull, if we didn't listen to peer pressure, we'd all be a bunch of complete ******, we wouldn't do stupid things, and we wouldn't take risks, whether they have good results or bad. It had nothing to do with being cool, when you can legally drink, you'll understand, just as when you get a car, and have to deal with little **** ants in their 30k$ cars, you'll understand why we say its a bad idea. I'm sorry but maturity is linked very strongly with age, there's a reason our age bracket has the highest insurance rates, teen pregnancy is on the rise, etc., the majority of our age is simply not mature enough to deal effectively with high powered cars, or the simple idea of using protection. You have to understand that this does not make you stupid, it makes you young, you would not walk up to a mother and say her baby is dumb because at 1 he's still in diapers, he simply does not have the physical or mental ability to use a toilet. The brain may only be fully mature at 25 (this is questionable of course, as it depends on sex), but it is not a terraced situation, you are constantly maturing, its not like the day you turn 25, bam your suddenly ready for the world. I have to ask, based on your sig, how old are you?

Last edited by ambystom01; Mar 14, 2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Its called being young, everyone says "oh I don't listen to peer pressure" but we all know thats complete and utter bull, if we didn't listen to peer pressure, we'd all be a bunch of complete ******, we wouldn't do stupid things, and we wouldn't take risks, whether they have good results or bad. It had nothing to do with being cool, when you can legally drink, you'll understand, just as when you get a car, and have to deal with little **** ants in their 30k$ cars, you'll understand why we say its a bad idea. I'm sorry but maturity is linked very strongly with age, there's a reason our age bracket has the highest insurance rates, teen pregnancy is on the rise, etc., the majority of our age is simply not mature enough to deal effectively with high powered cars, or the simple idea of using protection. You have to understand that this does not make you stupid, it makes you young, you would not walk up to a mother and say her baby is dumb because at 1 he's still in diapers, he simply does not have the physical or mental ability to use a toilet. The brain may only be fully mature at 25 (this is questionable of course, as it depends on sex), but it is not a terraced situation, you are constantly maturing, its not like the day you turn 25, bam your suddenly ready for the world. I have to ask, based on your sig, how old are you?
I'm 18 years old. I have an Evo, I use protection, and I'm damn careful with both.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

P.S. The evo was not my first car and I am very glad it wasn't. Just trying to tell you buddy, it would NOT make a good first car. If you do get it as your first car, here is what I suggest as your first "mod": high performance driving school or auto cross.

Last edited by ezhangin; Mar 14, 2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Good, at least some of our youth aren't simply horny, retarded apes.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i seriously cannot believe how many spoiled kids there are these days. Who the F U C K buys their 16-18 year old kid a 30k supercar? These parents must be losing it.

Regardless of what you think and how mature you are, if you're still in higschool you are not mature enough or talented enough to drive an Evo.

Quick Reply: EVO as First Car