Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO as First Car

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO as First Car

I'm trying to convince my bro that an evo is way to powerful of a car for a first car. What are the pros and cons? And is it a good first car for him?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

even the most responsible person can end up in a bad situation. and without experience, its not gonna turn out good.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep tryin. Theres no way anyone should have an evo as their first car.
You need to get acclimated to driving a normal car before stepping into an evo.
There is just too much temptation involved. Whenever you have that much power on tap its too easy to get yourself into trouble quik.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're not going to mod it, i'd say get it. Just make sure you have the money for clutch and transmission and labour.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_il8
I'm trying to convince my bro that an evo is way to powerful of a car for a first car. What are the pros and cons? And is it a good first car for him?
Hmmm, dunno. There's always a good market for good, low mileage parts. You can usually come out ahead if you buy back your car from the insurance company as a total wreck and part it out.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

In my opinion he should get something else for a first car. Pros, the car stock is fast, handles even better. Cons, a new driver might not have the experience to handle a car such as an evo. Alot of kids think it's a toy and drive the car like an assh*le, this could put him or people around him in a bad situation. It could get ugly.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

what part about giving the keys to a $30,000 high performance vehicle to a noob driver sounds like an intelligent move?

Seriously... The car is going to get trashed. Not because your bro is going to delibrately, but because it's the first car, a learning experiance....

Does he even know how to drive a stick? If not, how long before he needs a new transfer case or gearset for the tranny?

I would recommend an old subaru 2.5rs to learn on. that way you learn how to drive with AWD on a drivetrain that can take the abuse of a new driver.

An EVO as a second or third car? maybe... depends on the capabilities of the driver.

There is no way your bro should be driving a lancer EVO for a first car... A Lancer Oz might be a better choice...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

The evo was my first car and I had to learn how to drive on it. No probs so far and I haven't got into any trouble. It all depends on the maturity level of the individual. If I could do it all over again I would pick a civic because of the endless modding and gas mileage of the 4g63.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I would definantly not get one as a first car. Chances are he is going to have a wreck early on. I work wrecks everyday that happen because young kids do not have experience. I would strongly encourage him to get somthing else, that is if you don't want him to get hurt.

Yes, you can have a wreck in anything, but the chances are soooooooo much greater if he gets a car like an evo, or any other high powered car. Start out with an rsx, prelude, or somthing along those lines. It would be crazy for anyone to give a 16 year old kid a car like that. My 2cents. It's all good until you get hurt or die in an accident.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor

hey my first car was an 86 olds cutlass with 350 horse 350. and im still alive. it all depends on how much respect your bro has for his car, life , and car insurance. dont hate on the young. alot of people misjugded me 10 years ago, and now im in scca, and drag my evo alot. plus i drive tractor trailer for roadway making 72000 a year. i proved all of them wrong who said i could not drive. and im only 25
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Bluebanana, do you suggest for a first car or would you have gotten sumtin else?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
like I say, if you want it just get it and drive it.

To say noob abuses the car is like saying people who's been driving for a while don't abuse their car.

When I had my first car, I drove it real easy. Pushing it ever so slightly and took real good care of it.

After having few more cars and mod it for a while, with evo, it's a lot easier to work on it and drive it, but still I abuse it more than if It was my first car.

Small scatches don't bother me as much, and car being dirty don't bother me that much either now, not like how I was with my first car.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

any other opinions?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

the evo isn't a bad first car, I just wished that I knew how to drive a stick b4 buying the evo. I am speaking from first hand experience since i'm only 18.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

thanks

Quick Reply: EVO as First Car