Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Clutch optional on MR?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch optional on MR?

This might be an obviously silly question and have been meaning to ask it for the few months I've had my MR. When I bought it I went on a test drive with the head mechanic at the dealership. He told me that when I get really used to shifting that I don't even need to use the clutch. He even recomended not as clutches are expensive and this tranny has 3 syncros. Needless to say I don't buy that, nor would I ever try that without some real proof. Anyhow, if it isn't so, I feel a little leary about taking my car to them to have it worked on. I have built a few hot rods in the past. Just not too familiar with some of the newer trannies. I'd be very interested to know if there is any truth to this.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

lol dont listen to that idiot, save your syncros and trans, USE THE CLUTCH

If i were u, i would never go back to that place....man i can t still beleive this
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:46 PM

yeah the owner introduced him to me as the guy who knew it all about the "Evo". Just thought it was worth throwing out there, in case it was true.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

right...they want u to waste your trannie so they can void the warranty on it, and give them big $ for repairs lol
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, happens all the time at the dealerships, mine told me I needed new pads and I have more than half of the pad left
Old Feb 6, 2005, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor

its not a tractor trailer trans use the clutch.. and report him to the service manager
Old Feb 6, 2005, 02:29 PM

Unfortunatly I think he was the service manager. It's great to live in a town with only one dealership .
Old Feb 7, 2005, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTKage
lol dont listen to that idiot, save your syncros and trans, USE THE CLUTCH

If i were u, i would never go back to that place....man i can t still beleive this
Yeah thats some of the funniest $hit ive heard in a while. USE THE CLUTCH, THATS WHY ITS THERE.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the only thing with a clutch that you dont really need to use would be on a tractor trailer, my uncle has become very good at doing this, I think its crazy every time I see him shift that truck without the clutch
Old Feb 7, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Why??? Good gawd! The clutch is there for a reason -- use it!!! Shifting without the clutch is like masturbating with a cheese grator. Sure it's mildly amusing for a bit but it's mostly painful.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
Why??? Good gawd! The clutch is there for a reason -- use it!!! Shifting without the clutch is like masturbating with a cheese grator. Sure it's mildly amusing for a bit but it's mostly painful.
Oh man, thats classic. Good one!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

i know what hes talking about...i did this time to time in my eclipse. At a certain point int he powerband, u can shift into the next gear without grinding or damaging synchros but its risky, i have never done this on my evo tho and i never plan to, screw that!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I've done it in my RA. My old Nissans were able to do it so I was curious. There's no reason to try it - its useless. Sometimes, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

yeah accually my friend is in auto mechanics class and the teacher told them that you can shift at a certain point w/o your clutch and it doesnt really bother it none
Old Feb 9, 2005, 03:47 PM

Ya I do it in my civic because my clutch is ****. Something about when the gearbox speed matches the road speed it slips right in. I downshift like that too by reving in the neutral gate to the desired rpm and it slips right into the lower gear. You really only need to use the clutch for first. But on my Evolution, I ALWAYS use the clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch optional on MR?