Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Just bought the 2003 Lancer OZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just bought the 2003 Lancer OZ

Just got the 03 Lancer OZ rally edition Automatic.
Nice car, but lacks power. I've read the forum about an Upgrade path, but my delima is that it's a three day old car, do I really want to start twirkin' it?
I guess if I want increased power and response.....
I've already had several kids try to race me at redlights.....
Maybe because the car LOOKS fast But we all know that it's not like that off the showroom floor.........
My reason for posting is....
Truly, what is the most logical mod/upgrade for a brand new Lancer?
I've seen forums filled with arguments about this vs. that and it's hard to make a descision. Especially about a new air intake. Many arguments I have read about CAI vs Short Intake, brands, techniques of installing are so contradicting, they leave me confused. At the moment all is stock........ What should I do first?
Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Welcome aboard. Bolt ons aren't exactly a lifetime commitment. The article is a guide for a reason though. It's really the recommended path. With your auto tranny though you're probably not gonna be running a CAI. I'd start it off with a short ram and work your way back. Good luck and congrats on the car.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

i put exhaust on my lancer the day after i bought it. so you can startworking on it as soon as you want. and then theres the automatic tranny...
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

This car is by no means a race car but it isn't what i would call slow either. I am focusing on susupension mods myself, I recently purchased a RMR intake and strut bar and of the 2 the strut bar is far more noticeable day to day. The intake helps responsivness at higher rpms a good deal, although it won't give you anything on a dyno sheet. A combination of a strut bar, ralliart struts, and a rear sway would definintely give the car a more spirited feel. For a major perfomance difference turbo is the only way to go, but intaker, header, exhaust, and possibly a bored TB wouldnt hurt along with a mild port and polish job to finish it off but there youre dropping buckets of cash into parts that could make the car less livable day to day. Intake is as far as I will go for engine mods as I enjoy the amazingly quiet ride which this car offers, and to me any other addition in a way would be a subraction.

My car is an auto too btw

Last edited by fury656; Jan 17, 2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

Thanks for replying guys...
I agree. The car is fun, especially on curvacious roads...
I do enjoy being able to carry on a conversation with someone in the car with me without yelling. The thing is quiet.
I've found the spring kit for the car, actually two different ones..
EIBACH PROKIT FOR U.S. LANCER
and
ROAD///RACE -PROGRESS SPRING KIT
This is the first mod my wife wanted to do...She likes the firm ride.
Would you guys consider doing this and leaving the stock shocks in place?
One more thing...I've seen the cross cut section of the CAT.
Is that the first cat or the second?
I live in Texas and only need one....I really love what the cats do for the enviornment but also hate what they do to performance...
Which cat is better to take out?

Once again, thanks for the info...
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:13 PM

Re: Just bought the 2003 Lancer OZ

Originally posted by Fraggin
. Many arguments I have read about CAI vs Short Intake,
i would also like to know the differneces in cai vs short intake
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

As far as gains theyre pretty similar, i prefer a short ram to a cold air because im not comfortable with the filter down towards the bumper unprotected. My RMR short ram with a heat shield looks good and works as well as any intake. Also for auto lancers short ram is the only option.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

the progress spring kit feels just like the stock ride. as for the quiet ride. it wont stay that way once u get an intake and exhaust. especially if you take out the cat. and the cutaway of the cat isthe 2nd one. road race has a direct bolt on replacement for it. checkout the site
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Whats nice about an intake alone is that it has a nice sound when you push the car to higher rpms but is as silent as stock at normal driving.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by fury656
As far as gains theyre pretty similar, i prefer a short ram to a cold air because im not comfortable with the filter down towards the bumper unprotected. My RMR short ram with a heat shield looks good and works as well as any intake. Also for auto lancers short ram is the only option.
It's quite well protected.

Johnnnny, run a search and you should find more info than you'll need.

The first cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. If/when you swap out your header you will be removing it.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

It's quite well protected.

Johnnnny, run a search and you should find more info than you'll need.

The first cat is integrated with the exhaust manifold. If/when you swap out your header you will be removing it.
Im paranoid... puddles would make me uneasy.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It is NOT EXPOSED AT ALL. I can't stress that enough. Unless the puddle's 2' deep and you're STOPPED in it then NO water will be getting in there.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

i have the injen cai and i drive through puddles like its cool. no problems here

Originally posted by norefills
the progress spring kit feels just like the stock ride.
Do you have any comment on the other spring kit?
Also,
Is the engine much louder when you replace the second cat with a test pipe? I could get away with doing that since I live in Texas. Also, I have a fresh 2 yr inspection sticker.
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fraggin
This is the first mod my wife wanted to do...She likes the firm ride.
lol. sorry, the quote and the bouncy blob make me laugh.

seriously though, if you want a good cost-hp purchase, i saw pick up two things.

ONE

An intake is a great place to start, but try to get something with a heat shield, cold air box, or ram air. Look at http://******************* They have a ram air kit which fits on almost any short intake. WHY DO THIS? Read this article:
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/articles/air_filter.asp

TWO

A new muffler. http://www.mufflertech.com sells a BOLT ON (aka do it yourself in 15 minutes) OBX racing muffler, which looks and sounds great, and only runs 150$. It is an axel back system, and is not a universal setup.

Both of those should only set you back, at most 300$. Be creative with the intakes, there are lots of SAIs that are good and inexpensive.

Hope this helps man.

D

Quick Reply: Just bought the 2003 Lancer OZ