Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Based on what you wrote, I think...
I think you'll be happy with the EVO.
52.73%
I think the EVO will be too much for you.
5.45%
I don't think the EVO is that bad, you will be fine.
7.27%
As long as your not racing, you shouldnt have a problem.
7.27%
The EVO has it's problems but if you treat it right you'll do just fine.
27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Evo right for me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
They will 100% increase the chance of Mitsu not covering things that break...
But they have to prove it was that piece dont they? If you know how to talk u can own them.
right?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

if they can prof the aftermarket part is the caus eof the problem then they wont cover it. for exemple if u have a full after marketexhaust, and you have problem with your brakes or transmision they have to cover it under warranty. but if u have problem with your exhaust then u are on your own.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't guarantee anything. If they want to "limit" your warranty, they'll limit your warranty. Best way to avoid this is to 1) Not mod the car, ever, and 2) Have your mother take the car in so they don't think a young guy is driving it.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your gonna buy an evo, you should keep in mind that the dealerships will not be very helpful for the most part. If you are going buschur 4 or vishnu 1+ there is no chance any dealership is gonna warranty d-train problems. But then again, no dealership for any car make will warranty cars that are that heavily modified.

If you are going to have the mods your talking about...and want to drive the car every day, you should be ready to spring several thousand dollards at any given second for a repair. This is unlikely, but possible just the same. If you cant afford that, then you prolly shouldnt mod. Its the price of admission, ya know.

Not trying to discourage you....just making sure you know what your getting into. Anyways, the evo is great. And dont worry about the dealerships if you want to work on the car yourself...you only need them to sell you one....
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

You are wise to be asking thes questions. The Evo does deliver exceptional performance at it's price. You are looking at a hybrid, a 16k car with about 15k in modifications and the build quality reflects this. I find mine to be both reliable and durable for what it is, a thrilling little rocket. Cheap to own, it isn't. The consumables are expensive and not designed for long life. The end of the story is this; you play, you pay. If you do not intend to play, then there would seem little point in buying an Evo.

Last edited by WildRice; Apr 18, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Its a tough decision I know, I had all the paperwork filled out and almost walked away, i didnt even want the evo (till I rode in one). But it is a big investment. And the car can be high maintenance. But man its fun to drive. I'd say if you are more worried about whats going to happen i.e. maintenace issues, gas prices, payments then maybe it isnt for you. This is really a car you have to love to drive because it is an enthuiast car. Its not quiet, its not the smoothest thing, so if you love to drive then just do it. If your lookin for luxury and all kinds of gadgets then get a lexus or mercedes. But if you want a rocket ship that could crush just about any car on the road, and you like the adrenaline rush then this is it. Anyways thats my two cents good luck, man that was a fU**ing full house moment.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WildRice
You are wise to be asking thes questions. The Evo does deliver exceptional performance at it's price. You are looking at a hybrid, a 16k car with about 15k in modifications and the build quality reflects this. I find mine to be both reliable and durable for what it is, a thrilling little rocket. Cheap to own, it isn't. The consumables are expensive and not designed for long life. The end of the story is this; you play, you pay. If you do not intend to play, then there would seem little point in buying an Evo.
I believe you are mistaken. It's not just modified off of an already built Lancer. They take the monocoque only, and then work from that. Therefore, they basically add the difference between the parts (e.g. AWD system costs 5,000 more than FWD, so add 5,000 to the price). If they were adding 15k in mods they would charge a whole lot more. An Evo is really worth about 26,000 (if that), the rest is profit.

By the way, if you were going to mod the car, why didn't you just buy a used car (such as a Supra) then you wouldn't even have to worry about warranty because you save way more each month.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I love the EVO, but all I see on these forums are problems after problems. For some reason before today it never botherd me, but now it just randomly hit me. I don't want to spend 12k on an already 30k car.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I really need more feedback please reply.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

That thing hitting you is responsible adulthood. I recommend you run far, far away.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
That thing hitting you is responsible adulthood. I recommend you run far, far away.
Being responsible is the only thing that will make me survive in this ****ed up world.

Thanks for your input tho
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still very much in the direction of getting an EVO but if I decide angainst it, what would be a good alternative that wont have as many problems? STI is an ovbious answer, but I don't like thier looks really at all. Any others with the same modding capabilities / price?
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

listen all the problems u hear are from a very small group of owner, most owner dont have any problem with their cars, so of course u ll see a lot more people complaining on this forum than people posting stuff like " hey by the way people my car is running great"

like the saying goes " the noisy wheel get all the attention"

so if i were you i wouldn t worry so much.

if u have worries the STI has its share of problems as well just go on the subaru forum

i have had my 05 evo since late december 04, driven over 7000 miles on it, put a downpipe, highflow cat, and cat-back, went to the track many times ( close to 20 passes) ran a 13.15 and i dont have a single problem with it, i just expect my clutch to go sooner or later. I enjoy driving it every single moment, to me it s a great car and i couldn t be happier, unless i drove a porsche carrera gt lol

Last edited by GTKage; Apr 18, 2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have almost 400whp with a good amount of mods (in signature) with 15k miles on stock clutch and no problems at all...yet..lol. (knock on wood) Like OLDSKOOLEVO said, you treat it well, it will treat you well...remember, they are machines, and are not perfect. Upkeep and attention to detail is key. The EVO is a high maintenance automobile. If you can upkeep it, I say have fun and go for it! I never launch mine either, never touched the track, just dyno and daily driver.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

If you're looking for a car with anywhere near the Evo's performance but a bit more reliability, you should definitely take a closer look at the STI. Though a "small" number of Evo owners experience "small" problems (blown clutch, tranny, brakes, grinding, etc...) you'd be hard-pressed to duplicate the same issues with the STI. STI owners drive just as hard as most Evo owners--the difference is that their clutches don't give out under 10,000 miles. Shoot, the most popular defect you'll find are clunking struts and chipping paint.

Quick Reply: Is the Evo right for me?