Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Why are the 2005s so much quicker and faster than the 2003s/2004s?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike you can sure roll with the puches, I'll give you that. Try to read out loud what you type here. Does it sound right to you? Try that before you push the post button.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xXxJIGGAxXx
Mike you can sure roll with the puches, I'll give you that. Try to read out loud what you type here. Does it sound right to you? Try that before you push the post button.
Lol. My mom says im special!!!
Anyways there like only one of my kind. I take it that’s why im special. So I take it no one has this problem. So sad im all alone.

On topic:
Has anyone done a brake test from the 03/04 vs 05 they both have the same brakes system right? and what not but some people say that 05 softer ride so maybe that has an effect on how it stops.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

05's do not have a softer ride they are the same as the other evos except for the MR which have the Bilstiens shock. I dont think the MR with the bilstiens have any time difference on stopping distance.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ragamuffin Palm M100 w/Palm'n'Stein software through an ODBII connector. You're supposed to tune for .92-.94v (mine reads in odds numbers .91-.93, etc) for a good AFR, but I've learned that it's best to tune to whatever voltage reading gets you the best timing advance. I can tune the car to beautiful, flat voltage curves and smooth, linear timing advances on the street with 93oct, but that all goes out the window at the drag strip. Even with the same gas, when pushing the car at its limit without dropping below 5500rpm, my best timing advance comes with .95-.97v on the O2s. I didn't understand this until I kept leaning out my S-AFC only to receive lower MPHs and pulled timing as a result. Once I added fuel back, I regained (and increased) my MPH and achieved a nice timing advance, so I now only tune for timing while keeping an eye on O2s just to make sure they don't get too low.
I was also going to mention that the .94v settings I was seeing at the strip were on about 4-6% leaner AFC settings than what I used to run on the street. Basically once I took the same leaner settings onto the back roads heading home the O2's were reading about .90v! This basically means that when you start the car up 2 min before running a quarter mile, even though the coolant is 175F-185F your car will still read about .03-.04 richer until you warm the car up for a longer drive. This is why I always see .96-.98v when I first pull off the street and run a quarter mile making me wonder what the heck happened to my .94v street settings. This is another reason I tune for timing and trap speeds these days since those tend to be good indicators of making good power. The Super AFC 2 was giving me a slight burst of knock at the 6600+ range but I richened that up a little and all seems good now.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
I was also going to mention that the .94v settings I was seeing at the strip were on about 4-6% leaner AFC settings than what I used to run on the street. Basically once I took the same leaner settings onto the back roads heading home the O2's were reading about .90v! This basically means that when you start the car up 2 min before running a quarter mile, even though the coolant is 175F-185F your car will still read about .03-.04 richer until you warm the car up for a longer drive. This is why I always see .96-.98v when I first pull off the street and run a quarter mile making me wonder what the heck happened to my .94v street settings. This is another reason I tune for timing and trap speeds these days since those tend to be good indicators of making good power. The Super AFC 2 was giving me a slight burst of knock at the 6600+ range but I richened that up a little and all seems good now.
I've seen the same phenomenon, but I wasn't sure what was causing it. I always have to lean out more at the track than when I'm daily driving...but then I have to switch back when I leave the track.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

This is to all 03/04 evo and 05:
When in 5th gear and you about 3-4k rpm. And when you floor it does it feel like no power and then let up off the gas a bit and it pulls harder. I say this because if I give full gas in say 5th or maybe any gear it feel like not enough gas or air going in. and if I let up some I say 75% throttled, it is a lot more power.
Mike1023 actually has brought up a good point here when it comes to 5th gear power delivery from 3-4k rpms. I may start a new thread on this odd quirk as I also noticed this much more when I had the lower RPM's too rich. Basically I was attempting to richen up the lower RPM range to get rid of what I thought was knock induced timing retard at 21 PSI. The only bad thing about a Super AFC is that by richening up the mixture you are also retarding the timing at the same time which really makes tuning a trick. Once I leaned it out again I carefully monitored my timing and it went from 1 degree back up to the usual 4-5 degrees even on hot days.

Funny thing was I would let off the gas and the car would accelerate harder for a brief moment and then slow down as expected... this was the more appropriate part throttle timing and fuel delivery giving you a surge of power. Once I leaned it out to a more friendly air fuel ratio that surging feeling has disappeared. I am assuming that nobody is seeing this behaviour with a stock car but once you modify the intake paths and play with airflow calculations you need to expect these types of issues. Proceed carefully when leaning out the air fuel ratios and verify that the timing advance isn't being retarded due to knock.

Hope that helps some people get their 5th gear low RPM power back in check!

Last edited by Hiboost; Jun 24, 2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Mike1023 actually has brought up a good point here when it comes to 5th gear power delivery from 3-4k rpms. I may start a new thread on this odd quirk as I also noticed this much more when I had the lower RPM's too rich. Basically I was attempting to richen up the lower RPM range to get rid of what I thought was knock induced timing retard at 21 PSI. The only bad thing about a Super AFC is that by richening up the mixture you are also retarding the timing at the same time which really makes tuning a trick. Once I leaned it out again I carefully monitored my timing and it went from 1 degree back up to the usual 4-5 degrees even on hot days.

Funny thing was I would let off the gas and the car would accelerate harder for a brief moment and then slow down as expected... this was the more appropriate part throttle timing and fuel delivery giving you a surge of power. Once I leaned it out to a more friendly air fuel ratio that surging feeling has disappeared. I am assuming that nobody is seeing this behaviour with a stock car but once you modify the intake paths and play with airflow calculations you need to expect these types of issues. Proceed carefully when leaning out the air fuel ratios and verify that the timing advance isn't being retarded due to knock.

Very good, but as I said before im a stock evo. Which yes, I can say I guess that is weird that I em getting this behavior from a stock 05. I would think if I get a ecu and tune it out myself and make it super cool. Haha im a dork. What I em wondering if any other stock 05 or even 03/04 getting this as well.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

All cars these days come with ECU's. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I'm going to get an ECU". What you CAN do is get a piggyback - SAFCs, UTEC, XEDE etc are all piggyback units that let you "tap" into the ECU to change parameters. Or, you can reflash the ECU. Perhaps you should take a crash course on automotive basics, and/or forced induction basics, before you get in too far over your head.

And, if you're 19, and have an "awesome job" then I guess you are not in college or chose not to? Either way, you should probably try to type with some better grammar... it becomes increasingly difficult to read your posts when you don't use proper grammar or spelling.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
All cars these days come with ECU's. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I'm going to get an ECU". What you CAN do is get a piggyback - SAFCs, UTEC, XEDE etc are all piggyback units that let you "tap" into the ECU to change parameters. Or, you can reflash the ECU. Perhaps you should take a crash course on automotive basics, and/or forced induction basics, before you get in too far over your head.

And, if you're 19, and have an "awesome job" then I guess you are not in college or chose not to? Either way, you should probably try to type with some better grammar... it becomes increasingly difficult to read your posts when you don't use proper grammar or spelling.
hehe i dont want no piggyback im just going to get the AEM EMS. im hardcore lol!!! that should do the job.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

My wifes 1999 accord does the same things. honestly alot of cars i have driven do this. I always thought it was my imagination untill you posted this. Weird.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Oddly I didn't notice this surge of power in 5th gear when it was stock but it may have been masked. I do know that power and response under 3500 has dramatically improved since moving to stage 2 with Turbo back exhaust and intake mods. Reaching full boost in 5th gear used to hit at about 3100 and the power would hit all at once since it had poor response below that. Now the power comes on much smoother and I can get 21 PSI by 2700 RPM's which makes it much easier to drive. Oddly the smoother power delivery is what people feel as being slower or having lost low end torque... but looking at my speedo confirms that the car is quite a bit faster through the rpm's even in 5th gear.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Oddly I didn't notice this surge of power in 5th gear when it was stock but it may have been masked. I do know that power and response under 3500 has dramatically improved since moving to stage 2 with Turbo back exhaust and intake mods. Reaching full boost in 5th gear used to hit at about 3100 and the power would hit all at once since it had poor response below that. Now the power comes on much smoother and I can get 21 PSI by 2700 RPM's which makes it much easier to drive. Oddly the smoother power delivery is what people feel as being slower or having lost low end torque... but looking at my speedo confirms that the car is quite a bit faster through the rpm's even in 5th gear.
Not disagreeing with that at all. But we were talking about in 5th gear, that when full gas 100% it like bogs and then if left foot up a bit to say 75% gas it’s a lot faster and motor does not sound like its bogging. I think a tune ECU and full exhaust will help yes. But you totally off the topic of what the issue is.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
Not disagreeing with that at all. But we were talking about in 5th gear, that when full gas 100% it like bogs and then if left foot up a bit to say 75% gas it’s a lot faster and motor does not sound like its bogging. I think a tune ECU and full exhaust will help yes. But you totally off the topic of what the issue is.
Haha, HiBoost, you're the only one to actually help this guy, but you're OFF TOPIC!! Man, I love this guy...asking stupid questions, colding the engine by 100 degrees, and getting an ECU to tune his car...gotta love it.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
Very good, but as I said before im a stock evo. Which yes, I can say I guess that is weird that I em getting this behavior from a stock 05. I would think if I get a ecu and tune it out myself and make it super cool. Haha im a dork. What I em wondering if any other stock 05 or even 03/04 getting this as well.
I'm sorry, but I have to call B.S. on this one. Nobody could spell "for" fure then correctly spell behavior. At least I think that's correct. What the hell is this guys deal? He sounds like he just entered the country, and seems to have some disorder of the brain. Soooo, what is this good job you've got there Mikey? If you are really mentally challenged , sorry fure ragging on ya, but your typing is seriously mind ***king everyone who reads it!!!

By the way, yes the part throttle seems to create more tq. I would guess it is the effect of more boost at lower rpms mixed with timing starting to be pulled at full throttle/higher rpms.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

More 05' proof.

I raced my friends 04' a couple of times last night. Here's the breakdown; he has the VIII with safc, 3" tbe/no cat, K&N round direct mount filter. I have the 05' MR with just a HKS 30th catback. To take out any variables, we went from a 10 roll so no launching was involved. We counted to 3 and floored it. As soon as we hit the gas I pulled about 1 car on him. It stayed the same for the most part after that, maybe I gained another car on him by 80mph. We tried again and the same thing happened until he missed 3rd gear. I wasn't powershifting at all, actually shifting rather slowly.

I am thinking the instant car length I pulled is one of two things. Either the gears in the MR are shorter in 1st, or his full TBE is hurting his low end tq. I thought the gears are the same until 4th in the 5 and 6 speeds, but I'm not 100% sure?

Quick Reply: Why are the 2005s so much quicker and faster than the 2003s/2004s?