Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

5mph?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5mph?

Why is it that the 5mph roll, absolutely kills the Evo's performance? I don't understand this at all. From what I understand, if you roll from 5mph, you'll get to 60mph *slower* than you would have, if you had started from a pit. Why is this? Also, what reasonable means can be used to counteract this occurance? Couldn't you simply press in the clutch to up the RPMs, then go from there? This is one of the few issues I have with the Evo.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Launching@6K-----5mph roll <<<<<What don't you understand about this?
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Grav
Why is it that the 5mph roll, absolutely kills the Evo's performance? I don't understand this at all. From what I understand, if you roll from 5mph, you'll get to 60mph *slower* than you would have, if you had started from a pit. Why is this? Also, what reasonable means can be used to counteract this occurance? Couldn't you simply press in the clutch to up the RPMs, then go from there? This is one of the few issues I have with the Evo.
Well you get to 60 slower because when you launch the car, ideally, you're already in boost. Reasonable means? Learn to launch, brake boost, mod? I wouldn't slingshot, I had a friend brake a tranny doing that.
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why would you go from a 5mph roll? of course its going to be slower because you're not launching it! maybe im not understanding you
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grav
Because you bog and have to wait for the turbo to spool. From a launch, you reach max boost almost instantaneously, unless you mess up.

Yes, to overcome the 5mph roll problem, you just slip the clutch to build some boost before hammering it. Why do you say it's an "issue" with the Evo? It's the same with any turbo car pretty much, depending on the size of the turbo. Trying to go from a roll at 5mph is no worse than trying to go from a stop without launching...they both suck.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
0-60 times are done with 5000rpm to 6000rpm launch, you take advantage from the four wheel drive and full boost power.
5-60 times are done in first gear inside 1000-1500rpm where the Evo is a weak car.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Because you bog and have to wait for the turbo to spool. From a launch, you reach max boost almost instantaneously, unless you mess up.

Yes, to overcome the 5mph roll problem, you just slip the clutch to build some boost before hammering it. Why do you say it's an "issue" with the Evo? It's the same with any turbo car pretty much, depending on the size of the turbo. Trying to go from a roll at 5mph is no worse than trying to go from a stop without launching...they both suck.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had suspected that it had to do with the turbo (I'm used to NA cars). Now if you could bear with me for a moment. What about a Ballast(?) to hold the boost from a previous spool? That might not be the right word or spelling. Would that potentially 'fix' the 5mph problem?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Well you get to 60 slower because when you launch the car, ideally, you're already in boost. Reasonable means? Learn to launch, brake boost, mod? I wouldn't slingshot, I had a friend brake a tranny doing that.

Ok now i am cunfused i am fairly new some please help. i thought and sounds logical that if you launch your car at a 5 mph roll that is less strain on the drive tran. because you are not bogging the car as much and doesnt tear up the clutch as bad. in other words, 5 mph=less stress on the car