Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Anyone gone from e36 bmw M3 to evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone gone from e36 bmw M3 to evo 8?

I'm considering getting a 05 evo 8 RS. It would be replacing my 96 bmw m3 as my daily driver/canyon carver. Any former e36 owners here? How do you think the 2 cars compare?

BTW I also have 89 mitusbishi mirage w 4g63 + 20g and all the supporting mods so I am familiar with the potential of the turbo mitsubishis
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm considering getting a 05 evo 8 RS. It would be replacing my 96 bmw m3 as my daily driver/canyon carver. Any former e36 owners here? How do you think the 2 cars compare?

BTW I also have 89 mitusbishi mirage w 4g63 + 20g and all the supporting mods so I am familiar with the potential of the turbo mitsubishis
No but I went from this (http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=1480221) to my current EVO VIII...

300ZX TT
EVO VIII

-Nate
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:07 AM

I have had a few years of off-and-on wheel time behind my friend's '97 E36 M3 sedan. You have the coupe I see, since yours is a '96 and they only made the sedans in '97-'98, but it's still nearly the same thing.

I'd say that comparing them on a street/canyon carving level, the M3's steering seems to be a little more accurate. Certainly not quicker, but more accurate. I like the Evo's shifting better though. I even like the Evo's shifting better than my 911 though, with its heavy clutch. The Evo's shifting is just very light and smooth in comparison. Very easy. The M3's clutch isn't that heavy either though, and its shifting is on the money. I'd still say advantage, Evo.

You'll miss the I6 in your E36 though because that motor has power EVERYWHERE, at any RPM. The Evo doesn't really have any grunt until @ 3500 RPM. Nothing really compares to power-on-demand from a nice, powerful NA motor. Even though the Evo is more tunable, I'd say advantage, M3.

Evo is AWD too, so that's defintely a plus if you ever go up to snowboard at Mammoth or to Tahoe. Advantage Evo there as well.

Build quality? I haven't owned the Evo long enough to find out. This is my first Asian car though so I'm guess I won't be too disappointed.

Just my $0.02. I've only owned my Evo for a week though.

-Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; Jul 2, 2005 at 10:15 AM.