Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

First stage Mods

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First stage Mods

Ok yes im a newb to the evo game, and the turbo game as well. Im looking to see if anyone can help me start modding my new evo. Im starting with 2k and i already have an safc-2 from my old car. What do I get first? I was thinking on the HKS suction intake but many people are saying the drop in filter is the best way to go, also i was thinking about modding the 02 housing and the IC pipes, many people are saying they give good gains for minimal price. I also want a bov even if it is a waste of money it still sounds sick and if i get an mbc and raise my boost it would be bennificial. what do you guys think?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuEvoIIX
Ok yes im a newb to the evo game, and the turbo game as well. Im looking to see if anyone can help me start modding my new evo. Im starting with 2k and i already have an safc-2 from my old car. What do I get first? I was thinking on the HKS suction intake but many people are saying the drop in filter is the best way to go, also i was thinking about modding the 02 housing and the IC pipes, many people are saying they give good gains for minimal price. I also want a bov even if it is a waste of money it still sounds sick and if i get an mbc and raise my boost it would be bennificial. what do you guys think?
All of your questions have been asked and answered 100 times. If you are the type who knows that a BOV is a waste of money, but gets it for the sound anyway, then you won't get much help from those on here who really know what they're doing....

Btw, on the o2 housing and IC pipes, you got it backwards: they give MINIMAL gains for HIGH price.

Btw, what the hell is IIX?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

IIX is like TWICE as better than an Evo IX man. . . .
somehow, I wouldn't trust this guy with an SAFC-2. . . .to sort of answer your question, keep the STOCK air box, don't add a BOV, get a flash from Dynoflash (or some other company), get a turbo back exhaust, and possibly cams. . .that should use up your 2k cash reserve, and you'll be plenty fast. . . .BOV's sound sick for a month, if you use this car as a daily driver, it'll drive you, and your significant other, and the pedistrians around you NUTZ. . .
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

The thing about the boost controller isn't so much that it raises boost but that it keeps it steady to redline. Stock boost tapers off a few psi by the end. That's a good mod. Most people will tell you the first mods (def. less than $2k) are MBC, turboback exhaust, drop-in filter (or intake) and the SAFC is good for "tuning" those mods. You'll see a pretty good increase over stock with that, I saw about 60-70whp or so.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

as you can see, that's what Warrtalon has and he's knocking on 11's door...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
as you can see, that's what Warrtalon has and he's knocking on 11's door...
Hah, no, he was referring to the newbie, not me. I agree 100% and would suggest that he get a flash instead of using the S-AFC unless he really knows how to use it. Since he had it on a non-turbo car, I wouldn't expect that to be the case...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:28 PM

I've done some considerable reading on this forum for the last month or so and u can pretty much trust what is stated above . . .

TBE, MBC, drop-in filter, cams, some gauges, and a flash should do you fine and that equals about $2k.

I also have an SAFC2 from my previous car. I know how to use it and I know the basics of tunign w/ a wideband and EGT's. However, I'm getting a flash for Al (Dynoflash) just cuz I'm not one to play around with the settings all that much anyhow . . . I guess I'm just lazy
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

knock knock knocking on 11's door.....ooooooohh yayahhh. knock knock knocking on 11's door. big ups to Warrtalon (not Warrelton)
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Mama take this clutch from me
I can't use it any more
It's slippin' hard too hard to shift
Feels like I'm knockin' on 11's door

Knock-knock-knockin' on 11's door

Mama put my slicks on the wheels
I can't spin them any more
That last green light is comin' down
Feels like I'm knockin' on 11's door

Last edited by SterlingEvo; Sep 8, 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i say get a custome tune with cams instead of a flash
Old Sep 8, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

not bad. I like that, mine was just improvised.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mpevo8
i say get a custome tune with cams instead of a flash
A custom tune and a flash are the same thing. There is no random, magical thing called a "tune." There has to either be a tuning device or a flash of some sort...
Old Sep 8, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

i say just research first before u buy anything!!! u dont want to end up buying something and not liking it!!!
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:48 AM

Hi everyone, I'm very very new to all this but understand alot. I don't know however know what a "flash" is, if you don't mind would you give me a clue.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=...BOV's sound sick for a month, if you use this car as a daily driver, it'll drive you, and your significant other, and the pedistrians around you NUTZ. . .[/QUOTE]
That is very true.. im getting sick and tired of hearing that whoooshing sound.. so annoying... attracts cops too...

owell.. to each his own

Quick Reply: First stage Mods