Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

4G63 swap in a US Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4G63 swap in a US Lancer

Any info on swapping a 4g63 into a us spec 2002 lancer oz rally edition would be nice. I am just looking for any problems that anyone who has done has run into. So............if you have done it or know someone who has done it then your knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Attached Images  
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:16 PM

This thread has already been done. And the outcome was if you want to spend allot and I mean allot of $ and time then go nuts. But it would be easier to get a EVO for the price of the swap. FYI you need a AWD with the 4g63!!! The US Lancer would have to be gutted and I mean gutted to convert it to AWD and swap in the engine.

Best bet trade in your Oz for the Evo or just get an old TWI Eagle Talon

Hope this was of any help and sorry man I didnt want to burst your bubble. I too wish it was as easy as a swap since you can get the 4g63 engine for damn cheap at a autowrecker
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

lol Ghostrider....hahhaha everytime i see one of these i just laugh for 10 minutes....
Old Mar 8, 2003, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

You can also click on the link in my signature....
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:17 PM

Maybe she ment 4g63 from an eclipse, which doesn't require a awd system in a tsi or gst
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:40 PM

Yes, I was talking about two wheel drive 4G63. I know where I can buy on at a resonable price. I wasn't asking if it could be done. I was asking if anyone has attempted it or done it?
Old Mar 8, 2003, 03:59 PM

Ouch about your car by the way, just looked at your profile, Was that actually fixed? That's some hardcore damage!!
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ozlancerchick23
Yes, I was talking about two wheel drive 4G63. I know where I can buy on at a resonable price. I wasn't asking if it could be done. I was asking if anyone has attempted it or done it?
Someone has done it for a racing only Mirage, which turned to be not a smart move. I also cover this topic in the FAQ if you read on....BTW, the 4G63 for DSM are facing the opposite direction as compared to the Lancer or 5G Mirage's 4G9X engines...
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Buying a 4G63 engine only costs about $700...but the thing is...the labor for swappin engines...like makin sure everything fits right.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:44 PM

I'm not worried about the time it takes to do a swap. I've been involved in 2. So should I just wait and buy a turbo kit for my Lancer and do other upgrades to make it faster instead of an engine swap? I like puting the time in my car, I take GREAT pride in how my car performs and looks. I just want to be faster than I am.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Kit the bish. Get copious amounts of power (I mean, jeezus, the auto tranny got 200 WHP albeit it won't handle much more if any than that) for relatively cheap. Then make sure you can get the thing to stop and get around a corner in one piece.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 01:27 AM

Not only is there the cost of just swapping in the engine, but you'll also need a proper transmission mated to the car. Considering how much work will need to be customized you're much better off buying a car with a native 4G53 engine in it. GSMs, Galant VR-4's and the brand new evo are all great options
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:39 PM

do u guys know that a cyclone engine fits in our car, i have a friend that owns a japanese engine warehouse, where they import any engine from japan, we`ll, i spoke with him and he has a worker their that works on mitsubishi cars only, and he told me u can drop a 4g63 or any other that u prefer, jus that it will be more power 2 the front wheel drive, so this would mean u need a stronger axle and other goodies, u don`t have 2 change the whole thing jus cuz its an evo engine and it means u need 2 make it all wheel drive, it has been done with a front, the GS-T model, best engine swap out their right now fro our cars, best bet it that, so those of u that think it is impossible 2 do it, it is impossible becuz u guys make it impossible, be free 2 ask for more info, hit me at www.jokerchild2000@hotmail.com
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's not "impossible" it's "unreasonable" and, for the price, comparably inefficient. I doubt anyone will push the 4g94 to its max and the amount of custom work you'll need to do just to tune a non-native engine in this car is highly discouraging if you ask me. I do not believe the 4g64 tranny will be so simple to fit either. I'd love for someone to do it and give a step-by-step, costs and whatnot, but no one's accepted the challenge yet. Working with what you have is a lot more practical (and, more importantly, cost effective) if you ask me.

Btw, Evil...Paterson, NJ?

Last edited by HobieKopek; Mar 10, 2003 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 4G63 swap in a US Lancer