Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would u trade an 05 MR for an 06 RS?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
I say your an idiot for even thinking about going from the top of the line to the bottom. You would be so pissed after 1 month. KEEP the MR
Fitting, since I have done my share of namecalling in the past... what specifically do you think will be so bad after 1 month?

I'd probably miss, in the following order of severity:

1) keyless entry
2) power windows
3) interval wipers
4) center console
5) noise
6) ride

My only mods are 3" turbo back and Xede. The TB should bolt right up, and the Xede should work with the IX, eventually.

I'd gain:

1) Reset the odometer!
2) Push off new tire purchase at least 1 year
3) A bit lower payments
4) New color
5) New technology (may be good or bad, hard to tell yet)
6) Bit less weight
7) Better mileage (22 vs. 19)
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was torn between an EVO8 RS and MR, for me the biggest issue was the lack of ABS on the RS, especially with the weather we get in the MidWest. And now that I have driven both the regular EVO and MR, the MR suspension is a blessing and I am glad that I didn't buy the regular EVO or RS. But ultimately its up to you ... I'ld say test drive an RS first ...
Personally I wouldn't trade from an MR to any other model ... I mean you could gain some of the things back easily, eg:

1. Wing
2. Vortex Generator
3. Bilstein Suspension
4. BBS wheels

but getting the following installed may not be easy and will be expensive:

1. ABS
2. 6 speed

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Oct 7, 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I meant was, someone who is looking for an MR is looking for the more comfy (road compliant) ride, 6sp, etc.... This I assumed was you; therefore, for you to say I am now interested in an RS (no ABS, no auto-window stuff, no wing, etc....) is a little puzzling. That's all - no biggie!

Like I said - I am looking forward to my '06 IX RS

Good luck
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

^^^cool beans, i guess reading everyone elses snide remarks got me in that mind set that yours was too. but i see what you mean now. and i was just being a smart a$$ anyway.

Originally Posted by madpacket

1) keyless entry
2) power windows
3) interval wipers
4) center console
5) noise
6) ride
i forgot how much i hate no interval wipers. that is the worst part i think. there is no good setting, it is either too slow or too fast everytime it rains, unless it is pouring. then windows iMo.

Last edited by NapervilleEVO; Oct 7, 2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Sidenote: EVO's intermittent wipers are speed (mph) sensitive.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I think the lack of ABS is a deal breaker. I grew up in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. I know how much rain you see. Think back to how many times your ABS kicked in in your MR when it was wet out. Did it save the day more than once?

I wish I was in your shoes, though. What tough decisions MR owners have to contemplate. I don't feel sorry for you at all. You suck, actually. No, really, test drive the RS in the rain and test those brakes. Be honest with the dealer about your concerns and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to "convince" you that it is indeed the trade you want to make. It's always best to be an informed buyer rather than an impulsive one. So ... get some seat time and tell us about it!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
I think the lack of ABS is a deal breaker. I grew up in a suburb of Portland, Oregon. I know how much rain you see. Think back to how many times your ABS kicked in in your MR when it was wet out. Did it save the day more than once?
Dunno, I've never "noticed" the ABS kicking in.

I wish I was in your shoes, though. What tough decisions MR owners have to contemplate. I don't feel sorry for you at all. You suck, actually.
Heh! what venom!

No, really, test drive the RS in the rain and test those brakes. Be honest with the dealer about your concerns and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to "convince" you that it is indeed the trade you want to make. It's always best to be an informed buyer rather than an impulsive one. So ... get some seat time and tell us about it!
I had no idea the MRs were revered, even after reading this board for a year. I honestly didn't want to get an MR (because of cost) when I bought it; it was all the evos they had at the time (4). And I went back-and-forth in indecision 5 trips over a week before buying one.

Perhaps a test drive is indeed called for
Old Oct 7, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw the IX in the showroom and it sure looked sweet.

If I didnt own an 05 VIII, then obviously I'd go for the IX MR.....

Anyways......I'm curious to see how well the IX will respond to modding and tuning
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Checked out the IX today, and they looked plenty sweet....

My 05 MR just tipped the odo at 10,000 miles. Where I'm at on the loan, and what an RS costs, I think I could possibly trade it in for an 06 almost straight across. I might have a small equity in it, and may very well end up with a bit lower payment afterward.

Would you consider swapping out an MR for an RS? I would be giving up the 6-speed, bilsteins, power windows, abs, and BBS wheels. In exchange for MIVEC, brand new tires, clutch, brakes, 10,000 less miles etc and less weight. I have silver now, and the red looks really good

What would you do?
I dont get it. Your downgrading for what reason? Because it looks sweet? The restyled front bumper? If you want your MR to look like a 9 RS, just get the 9 front bumper since thats pretty much the ONLY body change.

Absolutely not. I question your state of mind for asking this question. Are you high by any chance?
Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Steve.....i would trade the EVO VIII for EVO IX MR that is a better deal! but is up to you i was thinking the same cuz i like the new recaro seats, but i deside not to, let me know if you doit hey do you work tomorrow if not lets meet at starbux or lloyd center with other guys and talk about it!
Old Oct 8, 2005, 03:54 AM

i would! i like the rs its raw! i would take an RS over MR if i was offered both for FREE
Old Oct 8, 2005, 05:33 AM

I could never own a 4 door car with manual windows. Even though I live on the surface of the sun(az) i drive 9/10ths of the time with the windows down and what a pain in the *** that would be.

I used to own a older honda with manual windows, seeing it was a hatch it wasnt that bad but then I bought a gti with power windows. I honestly would never go back. I think if you did get the RS you would hate yourself for trading it in in 1 or 2 months, maybe even the first week.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I dont get it. Your downgrading for what reason? Because it looks sweet? The restyled front bumper? If you want your MR to look like a 9 RS, just get the 9 front bumper since thats pretty much the ONLY body change.

Absolutely not. I question your state of mind for asking this question. Are you high by any chance?
Not the first time I've been asked that in this thread!

but, to restate was was earlier in the thread, here is why:

Originally Posted by NapervilleEVO
but you do get new car smell, tires, brakes, fluids, clutch, warranty, mivec, more hp, lower payments, lower interest?, 0 miles again, and paint. so i see why you would trade in for a new IX regardless of the model. is all that worth it? thats up to you and how long you plan on keeping this car. sorry for the rant.
My sentiments EXACTLY....

1) keyless entry
2) power windows
3) interval wipers
4) center console
5) noise
6) ride

My only mods are 3" turbo back and Xede. The TB should bolt right up, and the Xede should work with the IX, eventually.

I'd gain:

1) Reset the odometer!
2) Push off new tire purchase at least 1 year
3) A bit lower payments
4) New color
5) New technology (may be good or bad, hard to tell yet)
6) Bit less weight
7) Better mileage (22 vs. 19)
Old Oct 8, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

i feel you on this one, i get bored of cars really quickly too. but to go from an mr to an rs just becase the rs is new isnt the best idea. you will miss all those little convience things like the windows and keyless. i know because i got stuck driving my brothers wrangler rubicon for a few weeks instead of my old grand cherokee. want your mr to feel new again? mod it some more take the wing off. just my thoughts its your car
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:21 AM

Since I've driven all three IX variants back to back, I can say the RS is the best handling evo out. But what are YOU buying it for? If you want a track day car the RS is definatly for you. If you want a daily driver then the MR is probably the better choice. The MR is a bit soft and heavy compared to the RS. But that translates to a better ride on the street, and with all the creature comforts that'd be my choice. But like I said if you do alot of track days and have the MR, DON'T EVER hop into a buddies RS. You'd be kicking yourself in the a$$ for not getting it. Theres that much difference between the two on the track. Its night and day.

It's a tough call. How about you keep your MR and buy a new RS?

Last edited by AWDriven; Oct 8, 2005 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Would u trade an 05 MR for an 06 RS?