Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would u trade an 05 MR for an 06 RS?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
Around a track, the USDM MR has the edge over the RS. This has been tested professionally and scientifically with the details and explanations to back up the claims. The JDMs are just the opposite: the RS variants are quicker. Maybe what you mean is perceived quickness and a more fun-feeling in the RS. Perhaps you could offer more in your claim that the RS is more fun and the better track car. When you drove all 3 cars, where and how did you do so? Your experience could answer a lot of our questions about the IXs ... maybe.
Sure.. but read the test carefully... you'll see that RS owns MR in
the straight line which is what most here will experience anyways. :-P
Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Not to mention broken MR 6 speeds...:-P

Ok.. i'm just kidding... 6 speeds are no problem for daily drivers....
Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

trade it in ...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

But I say keep the MR... not enough RS to go around already..
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:06 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Sure.. but read the test carefully... you'll see that RS owns MR in
the straight line which is what most here will experience anyways. :-P
To add, the MT test centered on '05 Evos, meaning the MR was the only car with ACD. The lack of ACD may very well explain the disparity in the results. Now, all IX have ACD including the lighter, more nimble RS.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
To add, the MT test centered on '05 Evos, meaning the MR was the only car with ACD. The lack of ACD may very well explain the disparity in the results. Now, all IX have ACD including the lighter, more nimble RS.

Thats not true... all 05 Evos come with ACDs...
The only reason RS would edged out by MR is...

1. Driver unable to brake as late as he wish due to lack of ABS
2. RS not as stable as MR in high speed sweepers due to lack of rear wing
3. RS having less power at corner exit compare to MR due to gearing differences

I say #1... those editor/drivers need to grow some *****...

Last edited by JT-KGY; Aug 16, 2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Thats not true... all 05 Evos come with ACDs...
You're right; I stand corrected.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

I had an rs and everytime i drove with my friends... it felt ghetto leaning to the right and rolling down the passenger window just so i can hear what they are saying.. ^_^ i got rid of it after. Rs is not for me.. i would take an MR anyday of the week rain or shine
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turtlelancer
I had an rs and everytime i drove with my friends... it felt ghetto leaning to the right and rolling down the passenger window just so i can hear what they are saying.. ^_^ i got rid of it after. Rs is not for me.. i would take an MR anyday of the week rain or shine
!!! Thats true...

I also think that RS isn't for everyone.. and Mitsubishi knows it very well too..
You can see that 06 RS production # is a lot less than 05 while there are as much
MR as GSRs (at least from what I can observe...).

Imo, RS provide a cheaper start up car for enthusiasts who intend to build a
track only car. Why pay for power door/window/sound when you're going to rip
them out the 1st day you got the car?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:11 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

My RS is a daily driver and a part-time family car with two child seats in the back. I don't mind the lack of power features at all. Come to think of it, no one in our household does, either. I chose the RS over the MR /GSR due to its driving dynamics - it's raw, visceral and exciting. Once I drove the RS, there was no debate over which Evo to buy.

It all depends on one's preferences/expectations. To me, lamenting a lack of power windows in a street legal rally car is almost laughable, but it's not to someone with a different goal. I completely agree that the RS is not for everybody, especially considering how many folks are uncomfortable driving without ABS.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I completely agree that the RS is not for everybody, especially considering how many folks are uncomfortable driving without ABS.
I don't know why people freak out so much about the lack of ABS. I've braked pretty hard and sudden in my RS before and never had my wheels lock up.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 06:05 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
I don't know why people freak out so much about the lack of ABS. I've braked pretty hard and sudden in my RS before and never had my wheels lock up.
IME, it takes some effort to lock the brakes. Given the fairly young membership of this forum, it seems like many learned how to drive with ABS and have never really explored the limits without it. I read reports from folks who are afraid to drive their RS' in the rain, and I have no idea what they're talking about. It's as if the brakes lock at the first sign of limited traction, and (IME) nothing could be further from reality.

One if the things that's special about the Evo is the ease with which one can modulate the brakes. The stock setup's braking action is extremely linear, making it very easy for the pilot to vary the force. The RS' brakes seem to be tuned to lock the rears first, allowing one to pivot the car almost on demand. It's a neat feature.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 16, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
There's only one explanation to this... you didnt brake hard enough...

I locked up my brakes at the 1st corner on a autox event...
(I was very used to brake late and rely on my ABS with my 97 M3 before RS)

With over 3000 lbs (even for RS) and tiny tiny 235 tires, you can lock up the
tires if you try.

But I do agree with FJF... the Evo brakes are easily modulated... much better
than 99% of the modern cars out there...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
My RS is a daily driver and a part-time family car with two child seats in the back. I don't mind the lack of power features at all. Come to think of it, no one in our household does, either. I chose the RS over the MR /GSR due to its driving dynamics - it's raw, visceral and exciting. Once I drove the RS, there was no debate over which Evo to buy.

It all depends on one's preferences/expectations. To me, lamenting a lack of power windows in a street legal rally car is almost laughable, but it's not to someone with a different goal. I completely agree that the RS is not for everybody, especially considering how many folks are uncomfortable driving without ABS.

thats it man RAW! the only way it should be
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 05 MR and 06 IX RS. Funny comments on here about both cars. Judging some of them I would say many who made the comments can't drive what they have to the limit. And must have the ABS and wings. Oh well. I like both of my cars, each has its purpose but either could be used for daily driving without much trouble. From the sounds of some of the crying comments on here people should buy a Lexus or Caddie instead.
Drive a 1g or 2g AWD then comment on the EVO.

Quick Reply: Would u trade an 05 MR for an 06 RS?