Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Would u trade an 05 MR for an 06 RS?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Early EVO
I have an 05 MR and 06 IX RS. Funny comments on here about both cars. Judging some of them I would say many who made the comments can't drive what they have to the limit. And must have the ABS and wings. Oh well. I like both of my cars, each has its purpose but either could be used for daily driving without much trouble. From the sounds of some of the crying comments on here people should buy a Lexus or Caddie instead.
Drive a 1g or 2g AWD then comment on the EVO.
if you could only keep one which would it be??
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Thats not true... all 05 Evos come with ACDs...
The only reason RS would edged out by MR is...

1. Driver unable to brake as late as he wish due to lack of ABS
2. RS not as stable as MR in high speed sweepers due to lack of rear wing
3. RS having less power at corner exit compare to MR due to gearing differences

I say #1... those editor/drivers need to grow some *****...
i belive in 05 that the reason the MR was the fastest was because of its close ratio 6 speed.

not to mention the lack of downforce on the RS from no wing , vortex genorator , and now the IX MR zero lift package front spoiler and gurney flap.

the 03 to 05 VIII 5 speed is geared alot longer then the new IX 5 speed wich is suposed to be geared the same 1 - 4 as the 6 speed MR trans.

and it is since i own both a IX RS and MR and have checked for myself so yeah a close ratio trans defenatly makes a difrence around a road coarse track , especially with say climbing elevation and very tight cornering sections but now with the changes it only makes sence that the RS is faster than the MR and the IX... i meen they all make the same power and are geared the same 1 - 4 wich is about what youll see + 95% of the time , but the RS does have a slight weight advantage with none of the past disadvantages other than the aerodynamic downforce and no the lack of ABS is not a disadvantage as many of you and myself included use to think.... the first thing my track instructor teached me was to stop as hard and as fast as possible without letting the ABS kick in. so if you dont want it to kick in why would it be needed? also if your going to give your speach about wheel lock up...... if your stopping as fast as possible with out ABS kicking in then that meens your not locking up the brakes.... cause then the ABS would kick in wich is what you dont want.... so yeah ABS not needed.

but im guessing one of the reasons for the RS not including a wing is because its supose to be the track model. being the track model it would most likely receive a big adjustable GT wing.... so why include the stocker and add to the price if its going to get replaced?

same goes for all the power junk (wich is known to fail under high vibration environments anyways) , sound insulation (unesesary) , stereo system (very unesesary for a track car) and other crap like trunk carpeting and such.....

but yeah the RS is not for everyone.... i heare way 2 many retarded complaints from people. like you would almost think they are 80 or something with the crying you see on here and if they were i could understand! but thats not the case and some people on here just come across as panzies

Last edited by WW IX RS; Aug 17, 2006 at 03:19 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:21 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WW IX RS
ibut im guessing one of the reasons for the RS not including a wing is because its supose to be the track model. being the track model it would most likely receive a big adjustable GT wing.... so why include the stocker and add to the price if its going to get replaced?
That's what I think, too. One would install a his own wing that's suitable for his needs. I, for one, am thrilled that the RS comes with no wing, as I dislike the thing immensely and would hate to have it on my car, but that's besides the point.

I think that a similar rational explains why the RS only comes in red and white, since the buyer would paint the car anyway to reflect his team sponsorship. I love these things about the RS. Where else can one possibly buy an almost race-ready, world class rally car for ~$30K? It's the bargain of a lifetime.

but yeah the RS is not for everyone.... i heare way 2 many retarded complaints from people. like you would almost think they are 80 or something with the crying you see on here and if they were i could understand! but thats not the case and some people on here just come across as panzies
I'm afraid of sounding like a zealot, as I've written about this before.

The Evo attracts two kinds of buyers - the high-performance buyer and the lifestyle buyer. The lifestyle buyer is relatively young, thrives on the Evo's street cred, concerned with fitting in, impressing his friends and being noticed, measures his success in the Stoplight Grand Prix or in a no-skill contest of stupidity like a highway pull, likes the bragging rights associated with high horsepower numbers, and tends to mod his car cosmetically as per the status quo in his community. Those are the guys that we often perceive as automotive pussies. That's because they're really pedestrian drivers who happen to have very capable cars.

OTOH, the high-performance buyer's emphasis doesn't need much explanation. The RS sometimes serves as the dividing line between the two.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'd keep the RS. Mainly because of all the thefts and vandalism. Low key car. If I ever caught anyone trying to steel the MR or its wing, wheels. They would not walk under their own power away from the scene. And better hope their blood clots fast before running out of it.
So tired of all this bull**** with car thefts and damage to these cars.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WW IX RS
the first thing my track instructor teached me was to stop as hard and as fast as possible without letting the ABS kick in. so if you dont want it to kick in why would it be needed?
Because nobody is perfect... It's all about braking as late as possible and in the
same time as hard as possible... If you over do it just a bit too much.. you'll lockup.
And we're not machines... that could do it corner after corner.

The only thing that I wish my RS have from other Evo models is the ABS... not the
pwr doors/windows, not the wing, not the stereo...

As for gear ratios:

Code:
Evo Gear Ratios

05-06 MR     06 GSR/RS     03-04-05 GSR/RS
------------------------------------------
2.909        2.785          2.928
1.944        1.950          1.950
1.434        1.444          1.407
1.100        1.096          1.031
0.868        0.761          0.720
4.583        4.529          4.529

with final drive ratio 

13.3319      12.6132        13.2609
 8.9093       8.8315         8.8315
 6.5720       6.5398         6.3723
 5.0413       4.9637         4.6694
 3.9780       3.4465         3.2609
06 GSR/RS has better ratio than 03-04-05...
06's GSR/RS first gear was weaken quite significantly... not sure why...
I do welcome the change though.. easier to downshift to first on autox tracks
where previous ratio will be too short..;-)

Last edited by JT-KGY; Aug 17, 2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Because nobody is perfect... It's all about braking as late as possible and in the
same time as hard as possible... If you over do it just a bit too much.. you'll lockup.
And we're not machines... that could do it corner after corner.

The only thing that I wish my RS have from other Evo models is the ABS... not the
pwr doors/windows, not the wing, not the stereo...

As for gear ratios:

Code:
Evo Gear Ratios

2.909        2.785          2.928
1.944        1.950          1.950
1.434        1.444          1.407
1.100        1.096          1.031
0.868        0.761          0.720
4.583        4.529          4.529

with final drive ratio 

13.3319      12.6132        13.2609
 8.9093       8.8315         8.8315
 6.5720       6.5398         6.3723
 5.0413       4.9637         4.6694
 3.9780       3.4465         3.2609
06 GSR/RS has better ratio than 03-04-05...
06's GSR/RS first gear was weaken quite significantly... not sure why...
I do welcome the change though.. easier to downshift to first on autox tracks
where previous ratio will be too short..;-)
man im so scared of shifting in to 1st gear. isnt that like killer strain for the trans?

or is downshifting in to 1st yet another skill that needs to be learned and when done correctly does little or no damage to the trans?

about the ABS i agree with diving as far in to the corner and late bracking. but i think you should alway's overestamate enuff to where you run the smallest risk of a lock up occuring you know? even if it slow's lap times a little or auto-x run's.

the way i look at it drive a little more cautious and not so close to the edge , because that way youll finish faster than locking up and going into the wall or something or just flying off the track and lousing position.

im not saying granie it around the track but you know what i meen lol. finishing period is alot better then lousing it...

plus there are always the other guys in the group that will push to close to the edge and mess up! all you have to do is lye and wait! then when they slip up you go in for the kill and you overtake the other driver

im more strategic in the mater i talk about above! but dont get me wrong once im situated well in the pack and there are only a few laps left i start to muscle and push close to the edge but not every lap of the race..... your just risking to much that way for no reason since sometimes there is just no where to go anyways you know? its pretty much a waiting game for me lol. then just concentrate on when i need to start man handling the other drivers toards the end of the race but not in a gay way ofcourse... cough: cough:
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
That's what I think, too. One would install a his own wing that's suitable for his needs. I, for one, am thrilled that the RS comes with no wing, as I dislike the thing immensely and would hate to have it on my car, but that's besides the point.

I think that a similar rational explains why the RS only comes in red and white, since the buyer would paint the car anyway to reflect his team sponsorship. I love these things about the RS. Where else can one possibly buy an almost race-ready, world class rally car for ~$30K? It's the bargain of a lifetime.

I'm afraid of sounding like a zealot, as I've written about this before.

The Evo attracts two kinds of buyers - the high-performance buyer and the lifestyle buyer. The lifestyle buyer is relatively young, thrives on the Evo's street cred, concerned with fitting in, impressing his friends and being noticed, measures his success in the Stoplight Grand Prix or in a no-skill contest of stupidity like a highway pull, likes the bragging rights associated with high horsepower numbers, and tends to mod his car cosmetically as per the status quo in his community. Those are the guys that we often perceive as automotive pussies. That's because they're really pedestrian drivers who happen to have very capable cars.

OTOH, the high-performance buyer's emphasis doesn't need much explanation. The RS sometimes serves as the dividing line between the two.
Dude your gramar rocks

I wish i could come across to others the way you do! im sure i come across as a retard to most because of my gramar , typing , and spelling.... oh well

Im young so maybe i am a retard still lol.... I dont know whatever

I tip my hat to you bro! Well if i would if i was wearing one