Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Are Evos THAT expensive to own?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its REALLY not that bad. It depends on how u maintan your car and drive it. Do the normal oil changes and fluids its like a normal car. Now the Tires u would have to get other tires that have a better treadlife then u dont replace em every 3-4months. Theres more but Im too lazy to type.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes they are THAT expensive to own. Good tires are expensive. Good breaks are expensive. Good gas is expensive. Good spark plugs are expensive. Good clutches are expensive. Good oil is expensive. Good filters are expensive. And we haven't even mentioned the fact it's hard to keep it stock.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sleet
You pay to play.
My words exactly. As a daily driver it's going to be expensive to operate, of course for that expense you are going to have a lot of fun. Buy a $1000 beater if you cant afford to drive it everyday.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
Yes they are THAT expensive to own. Good tires are expensive. Good breaks are expensive. Good gas is expensive. Good spark plugs are expensive. Good clutches are expensive. Good oil is expensive. Good filters are expensive. And we haven't even mentioned the fact it's hard to keep it stock.
I dunno where u shop for stuff but. Good tires are not hard to find for a good price. Good Brakes arent either. ASK ur boy G.Bush about Gas. Good spark plugs are under 5bucks a SET! Clutches arent bad its the install. Good oil Mobile 1 Syn 10w 30 is 19.99 @ walmart. Oil filter is about 8 bucks 10 or so for a K&N. Now the Stock factor I have no words for.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

majority of the bill is labor. if you get the work done at the dealerships they will rape you on labor. get a little down and dirty and do most of the work yourself and you will save $. The how to do forum will help a lot. I know it helped when I had to change fluids in the tranny and all. Or buy a beater car like a honda and use that for work and use the evo for night on the town and weekeds.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

you definitely pay to play. With the cost of my Evo, modifications to turn it into a track car, event fees, and maintenance, I could EASILY of had a Porsche 997 as a daily bling driver....but I would not experience the joy of driving, really driving and using this car to at least some fraction of it's ability in the right environment....a race track. honestly, if I did not track this car, I would not own it. It has little to no appeal to me outside of a motorsports environment. I'd get a prius, and find a better use for the 800.00 or so a month I spend related to it.

Percy
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
I dunno where u shop for stuff but. Good tires are not hard to find for a good price. Good Brakes arent either. ASK ur boy G.Bush about Gas. Good spark plugs are under 5bucks a SET! Clutches arent bad its the install. Good oil Mobile 1 Syn 10w 30 is 19.99 @ walmart. Oil filter is about 8 bucks 10 or so for a K&N. Now the Stock factor I have no words for.
Compare similar needs to a civic and you're just not in the same ball park.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
Compare similar needs to a civic and you're just not in the same ball park.
Actually... Its just the bigger maintaince that hurts a little but oil changes are like a normal car just have to use syn Oil. I agree with SAVAGEEVO about the labor forreal thats about the only thing that kills.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, I don't think it is that much to maintain one. I can see how it can be for some of those that barely make enough just for the payment though. I have my 03 since April 03.

I do my oil changes every 5000 miles. Mobil1 @ Walmart are like $19-$22. Oil filter + gasket @ dealer is like $7. Take them all to the dealer and pay another $7-$10 for oil change labor cost. So total cost for single oil change is like $40.

I am on my 2nd set of tires as the Advans lasted a good 12k miles.

Did a 15k mile maintenance and changed out all of the fluids, except coolant when I was @ 15k.

Still on my stock clutch and brakes. I am hoping it will last for awhile before having to change them.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:34 PM

EVOs are as expensive as porsche, or ferraris to own. You could use something like toyo proxes4s to get better mileage out of the tires, but then you loss that razor sharp handling. The EVOs badass fun comes at a steep prince. Mobil 1 oil, brake pads wear out fast, tires last a few months, cluth gets smoked easily, all those damn differentials to maintain. The only advtange of the EVO over other sports cars is the inital purchase price, after that, it hits the wallet hard.

Originally Posted by Corbic
Local dealer has an Evo on the lot, asking 21,000 or something. Knowing these guys that translates into 18k.

The sad part.

Any way, reading up on ownship experinces and R&T's review. Seems the bigggest problem is the clutch wears out real fast. Past that, it would seem owner stupidity.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/ar...ber=2

R&T claimed they spend $6,000 in thier year test drive on maintence. That is simply unreal in my opinion, for ANY CAR. They also used "16 Yokohama A-046 Advan tires' and two sets of brakes for only 50,000 miles of driving time. The brakes I can understand, even more so if it's just pads, the tires and $800 in Dealers Services I'm having a hard time with.

Can more "normal" all-weather tires be used on the Evo to keep wear down? I'm not in any way familiar with tires, brands and types. I just know the sportier they are, the worse they are in the winter and the faster they go bald. Also in another spot they mentioned "Six Michelin Pilot A/S tires for $1667". So this damn thing ate 24 tires, which includes a set of Michelins that cost almost $300 a pop?

That is a set of tires every 8k miles.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

i make 10.75 an hour and i afford mine
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alias
IMO, I don't think it is that much to maintain one. I can see how it can be for some of those that barely make enough just for the payment though. I have my 03 since April 03.

I do my oil changes every 5000 miles. Mobil1 @ Walmart are like $19-$22. Oil filter + gasket @ dealer is like $7. Take them all to the dealer and pay another $7-$10 for oil change labor cost. So total cost for single oil change is like $40.

I am on my 2nd set of tires as the Advans lasted a good 12k miles.

Did a 15k mile maintenance and changed out all of the fluids, except coolant when I was @ 15k.

Still on my stock clutch and brakes. I am hoping it will last for awhile before having to change them.
I'm not trying to fight this out, just comparing to a normal car. $22 at jiffy lube for an oil change, labor, oil everything. Tires last 30,000 miles plus for OE tires at $35 a piece. The plugs you are using to make that number are copper, not iridium. Gas here in reno at $2.85 vs. $3.05. That adds up fast. It's not a normal everyday car and although there are ways to cut corners or find a deal. I am stating easy to find numbers. You could find better deals if you wanted.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:04 PM

This whole Oil thing is a bit funny. I only use Mobile 1 with factory filters in my Golf and GS-T every 3,000 miles. Like $30 a pop, taking it to a Jiffy-Lube for a 9.99 special is retarded, for any car.

How the hell does a 19 year old, or someone making 10.50 an hour afford an Evo?

I can handel 300 a month with no problem. Insurance is dirt cheap (IMO), however an extra $500 a month in bills (brakes, tires, what not) is insain (they observed $6,000 in the first year). I also dirve about 25k miles a year.

Yes I would also be looking for used. As for the imaged car, I went to go look at it, I'm not even going to bother dealing with that dealer (morons). Looking for a White Evo for around 22k. I'm also looking at buged eye'd WRXs for around 15k. Both offer things I like and don't like, I'm not intrested in an STI (basicly the Evos twin for all I care).
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I have 27,000 miles and have only done oil changes and replaced the tires and air filter. I know a lot of people sware by replacing all the fluids and spark plugs all the time but I have been going by Mitsu's recommended maintenance. I am planning on replacing all the fluids and the spark plugs at 30,000 though. I also bought some Hawk pads but havent needed to put them on yet.

So overall, my car has been cheap to maintain.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superflyevo
i make 10.75 an hour and i afford mine
We are in the same boat. I make $10 on the dot.

Quick Reply: Are Evos THAT expensive to own?