Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Tips for buying a used Evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for buying a used Evo

Im looking into buying a used evo and I need a little help. What are some things I should pay close attention to? I know some peoples t-cases go, how can I tell if that is a problem? I am just looking for some advice as to things or potential problems that I can notice. Thanks all.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:41 AM
Former Sponsor

No one has any advice?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure the warranty wasn't voided. Even when looking at a 'stock' car, check. Some of the early owners modified the hell out of the cars, beat the crap out of them, put the stock parts back on and traded for new ones.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

what he didnt say was how you can check to see if the warranty is voided. get the vin and run it through a mitsu dealer.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Say its not a stock car, and the warranty is obviously voided from all of the performance parts. I just want to know some tips of some things that are common problems with evos. Thanks for the responses though guys!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend against purchasing a car that was modified by someone else. You don't know who completed the work, the quality of the workmanship, or the possible damage that could have been caused.

YMMV,

Greg
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Yea, I understand that standpoint also. I have been asking a lot of questions about the car and it seems to check out from the answers. I havent seen the car yet in person, and I obviously will before any final decisions, but its seems ok. Are there any special noises I should listen for when taking a test drive? Anything in particular I should look at? Anything I should check?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

"feel" of the clutch, does it pickup smoothly & consistantly at the same point. listen for a "whine" from the transfercase. Synchro engagment in the transmission. Check all 4 tires for even wear to name a few. Caveat Emptor...
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Good tips! Thanks a lot man
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

just like any other used car, check for the obvious.........

but EVO specific, check for leaks around the tranny, TC and rear diff.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

i bought a used evo... fu cked with it for a year... it was all to hell so i traded it in for an 05.... I would say if u could avoid buying used please do, but if u cant.... like others said check clutch and tranny and ALSO check to see if the factory boost control solenoid vaccum lines are in place.... if it has been tampered with the car will only boost about 12psi which really sux! See evo's make noises... some are normal some arent, so u never quite know what to expect.... if you have a bad feeling about a particular car DONT get it.... ppl buy evos for one reason and one reason only... to drive the **** out of them.... yes they can handle it with proper care... but you can never know if proper care was provided.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NC_EvO_GuY
i bought a used evo... fu cked with it for a year... it was all to hell so i traded it in for an 05.... I would say if u could avoid buying used please do, but if u cant.... like others said check clutch and tranny and ALSO check to see if the factory boost control solenoid vaccum lines are in place.... if it has been tampered with the car will only boost about 12psi which really sux! See evo's make noises... some are normal some arent, so u never quite know what to expect.... if you have a bad feeling about a particular car DONT get it.... ppl buy evos for one reason and one reason only... to drive the **** out of them.... yes they can handle it with proper care... but you can never know if proper care was provided.
Thanks for the advice man. I will definately check out the tranny, TC, and clutch. I am hoping to get a used evo because I dont like buying new cars really. I think they just depreciate too much, and I get tired of things fast. Hopefully I wont get tired of this after a year or so.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a used Evo. It had 15k miles and I got it for $24,500, which in my book was dang good. I didn't have to pay tax for it either b/c I got it from a private party. Course the tires were shot to h3ll, so I had to tack that expense on right off the bat.

Here are a couple things you should check for:

1. The heater knob has issues. I had mine replaced under warranty because it got stuck and wouldn't turn on. Make sure you can turn it all the way to heat and all the way back to cold.
2. Go for a test drive. Be sure to shift at high RPM and then check to see if there is a problem with the synchros. Do any gears grind into place? Are you locked out of any gears on the high RPM shifts?
3. See if there are any maintenance records. You want to make sure all the fluids are okay and that only the correct stuff was used.

Just a couple things there... Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
I bought a used Evo. It had 15k miles and I got it for $24,500, which in my book was dang good. I didn't have to pay tax for it either b/c I got it from a private party. Course the tires were shot to h3ll, so I had to tack that expense on right off the bat.

Here are a couple things you should check for:

1. The heater knob has issues. I had mine replaced under warranty because it got stuck and wouldn't turn on. Make sure you can turn it all the way to heat and all the way back to cold.
2. Go for a test drive. Be sure to shift at high RPM and then check to see if there is a problem with the synchros. Do any gears grind into place? Are you locked out of any gears on the high RPM shifts?
3. See if there are any maintenance records. You want to make sure all the fluids are okay and that only the correct stuff was used.

Just a couple things there... Good luck.

I didnt think about maintenance records, good idea. The heater knob is a common problem with evos? Ill will definately check all these things out you guys have mentioned. Again, thanks a lot.