Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is the Evo a relatively easy car to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:35 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Evo a relatively easy car to drive?

Been a member of the forum for awhile, but was never too serious about getting an Evo until now. Did a search, but too many results popped up and after several pages of not looking for the type of answer I am looking for, I decided to just post it here heh.

Well, I'm 21 and I have no experience driving stick shift (however, this will not be my first car), so I am curious to know if an Evo 8 or 9 are hard cars to learn on. I know the concept of how to do it, but of course, its no use unless you've had practice. I do have friends that own stick shift cars, but they are not comfortable with me learning on their car, and quite frankly I understand that if I were in their position with a nice car, I wouldn't do it either. So I will just have to learn on the Evo if everything goes well this Christmas and I really would have no problem replacing the clutch despite how much it costs.

Its great to be a part of this forum and hope to make future posts if I am able to treat myself with an Evolution this December.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rnm; Nov 9, 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Its no different than any other manual transmission car. I guess for a new driver the hardest part is getting going without killing the engine, otherwise its pretty straight forward once you get in the habit of shifting. Every time I drive an auto now, I always go for the clutch, doh!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO is very twichy but you'll get use to it. Awesome car with complete control.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Driving stick is like learning how to walk, no matter how you learn it becomes instinctive. I found that learning how the tranny and clutch work together helped me learn stick. I think that the lancer is relativly easy to learn how to drive stick in. I tought my mom, and she picked it up and could drive pretty well after the second lesson.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:48 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

It takes 2 minutes to learn how to drive a clutch car. If your friends won't take you to a parking lot and let you get behind the wheel for two lousy minutes, there's something wrong with them.

Maybe you have some relatives who'll help you out.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 01:57 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Smile

Yeah, my dad would most likely help me out in it as he has plenty of experience driving manual cars, but the Evo will be the first manual car we have in the household. Won't be any of my friends to teach me in my car, thats for sure lol.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

ive never owned any stick shift cars and only driven manual a few times on friends' cars or at dealerships. to answer your question, i have yet to stall in an evo =)
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

when i first got the evo (i already knew how to drive manual) i thought it was the easiest car to drive. but now i think my gf's integra is much eaier to start out in first. my guess would be that it is lighter and takes less power to get it rolling.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

The evo isn't too difficult of a car to drive... not as easy as RSX, integras and other Honda cars... but i think it takes some skill to make the ride comfortable. Also, because the car handles so well, sometimes its hard to judge when you pass its limit, and bad accidents could happen. So just be careful.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:21 PM

Yeah when i first learned how to drive a stick i was about 13. My dad owns all kinds of land in Mexico, we go up their to grow potatos, corn etc. Anyways i would drive the car back and forth to the house, and it was my first time learning how to drive a stick. About after a day i could get out of first gear with no problem, but i used to ride the clutch on a hill, which i dont do anymore. I dont have an evo, but with all the other stick cars that i have had, they have all been the same.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

the hardest thing about it is driving the speed limit, espectially w/o cruise. Going 60 feels really slow, I find myself doing 80 without even knowing it... I already have 1 ticket, so just be careful, especially since the speedometer is off to the side and kinda hard to see. I usually just look at my RPM's and try to remember what RPM matches what speed in each gear....
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:27 PM

thats an intresting way of watching your speed, looking at the rpm. Huh, maybe ill pay attention to that when i drive somewhere next time.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CDO
If your friends won't take you to a parking lot and let you get behind the wheel for two lousy minutes, there's something wrong with them.
uhmmm, he** no!
Nobody drives the car but me.
Just think grinding gears, and slipping clutch that you can smell....
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Go rent a civic or some other small compact 5-speed car. Learn on it for a day and return it.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 02:59 PM

Of the very few manual cars I've driven, the Evo was the hardest. But I only got to drive for a little bit on a test drive. My dad didn't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Is the Evo a relatively easy car to drive?