Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Is this too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this too much oil?

On Friday, I had the dealership change my engine oil for the first time. I checked the dipstick last night and this is how it looked. The manual says to keep the oil level between those two notches....is it overfilled now?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like it to me. That is one of the reasons I always change my own oil.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Thats way to much...... I filled mine and it wasnt even close to that much. I drove the car after that and went about 85 MPH and the check engine light came on I am not really sure if the over filled oil cause the check engine light to come on but I am positive thats what cause it. I drain some oil out then reset the ecu then check engine light didnt come on ever again
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like the dealership did not drain the oil completely and/or dumped in all 5 quarts of Mobil 1 rather than using about 4.6 quarts. Some people will complain about getting air in the oil and blow-by to the intercooler. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you step on the gas a lot. For peace of mind, you can drain some oil. But since you took it to a dealer for an oil change, it doesn't look like you are willing to do that. It's up to you.

EDIT: Changed the 5.5 quarts to 4.6 quarts. I was thinking about the C6 rather than the Evo. I apologize for the wrong information.

Last edited by CLeeEvo; Nov 21, 2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

oh crap, now i'm worried. i always drive pretty...aggressively and i put about 75 mi on the car over the weekend. do you think i could have damaged the seals or anything?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

That's the first thing to check after any maint. is done on any vehicle. Happens just too much. Too much oil=not good...
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

yes. it's overfilled. But it's not the end of the world. There's a drain plug, just let some out. It will be fine.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 09:46 AM

what's gonna happen if you keep driving it with too much oil?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

It's definitely overfilled. I recommend taking the car back to the dealership and having them fix their mistake (free of charge, of course). When they're done, have them print you out a service slip so you both have a record of what happened. This way you're covered if anything should come up later.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by poohlvhun
what's gonna happen if you keep driving it with too much oil?
+1

I'd like to know the answer to this too (searched, but couldn't find anything on it).

My dealership did the same, but they told me it'd be fine. No CEL, but I'll see if I can get them to put in writing that nothing bad will happen.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:15 AM

did you wipe off the dipstick before asking us? because the oil sloshing aroudn during driving conditions can work it's way up the stick. Wipe off the dip stick and then recheck.

otherwise I agree with the rest
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IamQBE
did you wipe off the dipstick before asking us? because the oil sloshing aroudn during driving conditions can work it's way up the stick. Wipe off the dip stick and then recheck.
+1
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

yes, i wiped the dipstick. i'm a newbie but not stupid....not totally stupid anyway.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:59 AM

Be careful not to overfill your car’s crankcase with oil. If you put in too much oil, the engine’s crankshaft can actually come in contact with the oil. And because the crankshaft is turning at several thousand revolutions per minute, it can quickly whip your oil into a froth — like the steamed milk that sits on the top of a cappuccino. Why is that bad? Well, the oil pump can’t pump froth very well, and as a result, it can’t get oil to the parts of the engine that need lubrication. The result . . . a hefty boat payment to your mechanic.
http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national...il_change.tmpl
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:02 AM

I didn't want it to seem like I was calling you stupid or anything, by no means did I mean that. I was just saying soemtimes people forget, ya know those stupid mistakes that make you go.. d'oh!

Quick Reply: Is this too much oil?