Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Performance Tricks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
KevinD, that's all great information, but they're not really tricks. I don't know what the thread originator was really talking about or what he's looking for, but from the example he gave, it doesn't match the type of info you were giving. He drives a Honda but came on an Evo board talking about coming up with tricks to beat out domestics with turbos? What's the real point? We don't have hardly any "tricks" like he's referring to except for the coolant bypass mod.
Thats what I was thinking ....
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Chrome muffler bearings
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
as for the TB coolant bypass mod, you could even go further by using a hondata type manifold gasket to further reduce head soak on the intake manifold. but it's probably not a good idea to run the TB coolant bypass in the winter cause you might run into problems with the throttle sticking.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I really didn't mean to create such chaos. I just thought it would be nice to have a thread with all of the ways one might be able to gain an edge horsepower. I have been throwing around the TB bypass, but just haven't had the time to get there yet. Thanks for the idea though.

Warrtalon: Thanks for the list of ideas youv'e brought to the attention of those who may, or may not have know them. This is part of what I hope to be, the basis of information for well tuned machines.

I don't know if this helps my credabilit, and possibly ease the tension here, but I have played a role at one point or another building a few RSX's to 500+ hp. One of the 1st, if not the 1st person to use the GT35R on that car before there was a Turbo kit out for that car. (Thanks to Jerry Rocha of Garrett Norht America) I have a fully built turbo NSX under my belt also. (Just call AEBS). Next on my list is the unrleased Evo X. So, I hope to continue to happily post here for some time to come.

Thanks for your support.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigger turbo
Old Dec 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, this whole thread makes me feel bad to even be associated with this site.

indexing a spark plug is the act of marking the "open side" of the spark plug on the outside of the plug somewhere so you can see the mark after the plug is installed and then using an extra washer or possibly a hair more or less torque to align the open end so that it is facing towards the intake ports or at least not facing away from them. This can, depending on combustion chamber design, give you a more complete burn in the cylinder and prevent knock while at the same time giving you a hair more HP. While the power may not be substantial, avoiding knock certainly is an important thing to look at on a turbo car.

But hey, maybe you guys would rather spend time flaming Honda owners who are legitimately trying to help. For all you pr!cks know, this guy could be saving up to buy an IX MR because his buddy's Evo8 is awesome, and is surfing these forums for some ideas of what parts to buy when he gets it. Only instead, he's gonna buy an STi because the guys on those forums aren't complete a$$holes.

Way to go fellas! Bravo.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with you 100% this site is turning into a burn feast, i wish it was a little more mature and just stuck to strickly car relevance.
Originally Posted by jbrown

indexing a spark plug is the act of marking the "open side" of the spark plug on the outside of the plug somewhere so you can see the mark after the plug is installed and then using an extra washer or possibly a hair more or less torque to align the open end so that it is facing towards the intake ports or at least not facing away from them. This can, depending on combustion chamber design, give you a more complete burn in the cylinder and prevent knock while at the same time giving you a hair more HP. While the power may not be substantial, avoiding knock certainly is an important thing to look at on a turbo car.

But hey, maybe you guys would rather spend time flaming Honda owners who are legitimately trying to help. For all you pr!cks know, this guy could be saving up to buy an IX MR because his buddy's Evo8 is awesome, and is surfing these forums for some ideas of what parts to buy when he gets it. Only instead, he's gonna buy an STi because the guys on those forums aren't complete a$$holes.

Way to go fellas! Bravo.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

What about diffusion of air. I was talking to some neon (srt4) owners and they had a trick where they folded up the rear bottom bumper to act as a "rear diffuser". Im trying to find out somthing like that, but for the EVO. Any ideas?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Way to go fellas! Bravo.
Well, I didn't respond negatively, so I know you're not talking about me here, but the venom in your response is hardly warranted. The question did not make sense, because not enough background was given, and hardly anyone has ever heard of that indexing thing. I had no idea what it was until you explained it, but I also didn't make fun of it being mentioned. I got the basic idea of what the guy meant by "tricks," but I didn't know why he was coming here to ask us while trying to figure out how to beat turbo'd domestics. The entire thread was out of left field with no context for us to better understand.

It looked very strange for some random newbie who drives a Honda to come in here talking about how "we" can combine powers to beat turbo'd domestics, especially when there are no such tricks on the Evo. I am still not sure what he's trying to do, but I now am guessing he's trying to put together tricks for ALL cars that can be used...that's not really applicable to this forum, since we don't have any special Evo tricks other than the aforementioned coolant bypass. Anyway, no need to freak out over a few comical responses when the original thread made absolutely no sense to 99% of us.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnakeEater
What about diffusion of air. I was talking to some neon (srt4) owners and they had a trick where they folded up the rear bottom bumper to act as a "rear diffuser". Im trying to find out somthing like that, but for the EVO. Any ideas?
This is one of the rear underbody spoilers:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_diffuser.htm
The Vishnu one is made from aluminum and will only clear a few different exhaust systems. $525.00

This is another rear one:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...or&prodid=1532
The HKS one is made from carbon fiber ($650) or fiberglass ($530), but could be re-made in aluminum. I like this one because it remains outside of the exhaust system, so it should clear just about every possible exhaust system that uses the stock path from front to back..

This is a 3rd rear one:
http://www.varisusa.com/products/evo...s/slide_10.jpg
The Varis piece is $1100 in carbon fiber and $625 in fiberglass! It too will only clear a few exhaust systems.

This is a funky "universal kit" for the rear:
http://www.varisusa.com/universaldif...diffuser.shtml
I have seen this on the CyberEvo in SuperStreet magazine and supposedly it fits other cars as well. They have two models (medium and large) and I have no idea what cars they fit. The outers are carbon fiber and would be tough to re-make in aluminum, but the inner panel looks very simple and the are charging $600+ for it! It looks like an aluminum version of the HKS one from above.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

u make a valid point, and for once i'm suprised your not the one burning. Maybe your not a complete As.shole.
Well, I didn't respond negatively, so I know you're not talking about me here, but the venom in your response is hardly warranted. The question did not make sense, because not enough background was given, and hardly anyone has ever heard of that indexing thing. I had no idea what it was until you explained it, but I also didn't make fun of it being mentioned. I got the basic idea of what the guy meant by "tricks," but I didn't know why he was coming here to ask us while trying to figure out how to beat turbo'd domestics. The entire thread was out of left field with no context for us to better understand.

It looked very strange for some random newbie who drives a Honda to come in here talking about how "we" can combine powers to beat turbo'd domestics, especially when there are no such tricks on the Evo. I am still not sure what he's trying to do, but I now am guessing he's trying to put together tricks for ALL cars that can be used...that's not really applicable to this forum, since we don't have any special Evo tricks other than the aforementioned coolant bypass. Anyway, no need to freak out over a few comical responses when the original thread made absolutely no sense to 99% of us.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

This is one of the rear underbody spoilers:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_diffuser.htm
The Vishnu one is made from aluminum and will only clear a few different exhaust systems. $525.00

This is another rear one:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...or&prodid=1532
The HKS one is made from carbon fiber ($650) or fiberglass ($530), but could be re-made in aluminum. I like this one because it remains outside of the exhaust system, so it should clear just about every possible exhaust system that uses the stock path from front to back..

This is a 3rd rear one:
http://www.varisusa.com/products/evo...s/slide_10.jpg
The Varis piece is $1100 in carbon fiber and $625 in fiberglass! It too will only clear a few exhaust systems.

This is a funky "universal kit" for the rear:
http://www.varisusa.com/universaldif...diffuser.shtml
I have seen this on the CyberEvo in SuperStreet magazine and supposedly it fits other cars as well. They have two models (medium and large) and I have no idea what cars they fit. The outers are carbon fiber and would be tough to re-make in aluminum, but the inner panel looks very simple and the are charging $600+ for it! It looks like an aluminum version of the HKS one from above.
So no "free bees" huh? Oh well. Theyre still Neons.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

dude, you probably have about as many helpful responses on this site as anyone, my venom was not directed at you. Heck, you've even offered some great advice to me personally in the past and I appreciate that. I admit the statement / question wasn't exactly well stated, but rather than asking for clarification, or even just ignoring it, some people took the effort to slam a potential future evo owner, and for that, I was upset.

I don't post on this site very often, but when I do I try to offer legitimate help or pose a worthy question, and it erks me when people fill threads with useless flames or off-topic babble that I have to sift through to find my answer or see if someone else has already answered it. That was the real source of my frustration, it had nothing to do with you.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnakeEater
So no "free bees" huh? Oh well. Theyre still Neons.
depending on how handy you are, a partial sheet of .090" 6061 aluminum and some pop rivets could probably be turned into a DIY kit for under $100. I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but you can get a 24" x 24" sheet of it from http://www.mcmaster.com for $46.63.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude, you probably have about as many helpful responses on this site as anyone, my venom was not directed at you. Heck, you've even offered some great advice to me personally in the past and I appreciate that. I admit the statement / question wasn't exactly well stated, but rather than asking for clarification, or even just ignoring it, some people took the effort to slam a potential future evo owner, and for that, I was upset.

I don't post on this site very often, but when I do I try to offer legitimate help or pose a worthy question, and it erks me when people fill threads with useless flames or off-topic babble that I have to sift through to find my answer or see if someone else has already answered it. That was the real source of my frustration, it had nothing to do with you.
Yes, I know. I mentioned that I knew you weren't referring to me, so my response wasn't personal. I understand your frustration, but I think I'm correct when theorizing that the immature responses you saw were a product of the MULTITUDINOUS newbie posts we get that are completely retarded. We have to deal with them on a constantly increasing basis, so if there is a newbie post that is not understandable, appears strange, or is posted by a non-Evo'er (e.g. Honda owner), then the responses are likely to be negative. Unfortunately, this alienates good newbies on the rare occasion that one posts a valid question, especially if it's one like this that is sorta strange.

Quick Reply: Performance Tricks