Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Performance Tricks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb Performance Tricks

I have been noticing that more and more domestics are switching to turbo these days. Even my dad has mentioned that he was looking at a Banks Turbo for his Dodge 5.9 R/T. I've heard three mustangs with turbo's in the last two weeks. So, I thought this might be a great opportunity for all of us to pool some information about some tips and trick we may use to get the advatage. Horsepower or otherwise.

One of the tricks I've heard somewhere was to index your sparks, plugs meaning to point the gap of the plug toward the intake and or fuel spray, resulting in a maximum burn of fuel and air.

Im sure there are many more...
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe add a few stickers to your car to appear fast? That's a "trick" you honda guys have been pulling for years now.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

i heard light up windshield washers add like 20 horse power
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

its an honest question why do you guys have to be dicks, i've been owned by many hondas and i run average mid 12s
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys are pretty funny I can take a good joke, but this can be whatver you make it. Goodluck to you in what ever you do. The fact is that I have a pretty good friend that has an EvoVIII. We have the cams done for his car also the Exedy twin plate ceramic clutch, the white rabbit goes in soon. I won't mension his name out of repect for him. Most of the work I have done, or will do so show somw respect. Not all Honda owners are those 17-21 yo sticker lovin yahoo's.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone who is looking for performance "tricks", doesn't show to me that they have much back ground with making cars go fast. Thus my sticker comment. Besides that, "tricks" are not what you need to be doing to your (it's your "friends" car right?) Evo. Making a car fast is one thing. Making it run fast AND correctly is a delicate process and if not done right, will result in another add in the "cars for sale" section. These aren't DSM's, there are no "free mods".

AIKIDO- I don't understand what your honda comment has anything to do with this post? Because i said put stickers on it like honda guys have been known to do? He was looking for "tricks" and i gave him one. I never stated that honda's can't be fast or beat Evo's.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by walkedu
Maybe add a few stickers to your car to appear fast? That's a "trick" you honda guys have been pulling for years now.
wow, i've never thought of that, i guess my 12 sec. all motor honda would have ran 11's if i had some stickers on it.

and as far as "there's no free mod", last time i checked it didn't cost anything to remove some interior weight, unless you are dumb enought to take your car to a shop for them to remove your spare tire and jack.

Last edited by honda-guy; Dec 20, 2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
some much hostility jesus christmas...can't we all just get along
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I was just playing around , my last car was a fully built accord with an h22 swap so I am definitely not against Hondas just trying to add some humor is all. If you want a cheep trick you can bye pass your throttle body. There is a thread on here somewhere that tells you how. By removing the warm fluid going throw your throttle body you will cool down the air and as a result you will gain a little power. mainly for summer time
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
some much hostility jesus christmas...can't we all just get along
From what i've seen, most of you STi guys are pretty peacefull, i can see how you can be stunned by some of the hosilitty on this Forum!
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

well, sense no one else can answer the question really, i guess i will chime in.

1) eliminate ALL restrictions after the turbine. get rid of the cat, all tubes should be of sufficient size if you are going to run tubes (i.e. 3" for most applications). mandrel bends reduce pressure drops, and don't consider an exhaust that isn't mandrel bent.

2)before the turbine, reduce head losses (technical term for keep pressure high), maintain heat. DON'T buy a shiny chrome/polished header. the shiney chrome is for looks only. if you buy an equal length header, get it coated with heat retaining coatings... then use heat wrap over that. all the heat you keep in the header means more energy going into the turbine, i.e. faster spool. make sure whatever header you go with has a smooth interior surface, and no sharp bends. sharp bends are pressure losses, and will increase spool time. if you want to get really technical, you could tune the exhaust length for pressure pulses which can help at certain RPM's. oh and keeping the runners really short is ideal due to less pressure and temp drops.

3. assuming your keeping the stock turbo, you could get it coated as well. turbine can get heat retaining coatings on the housing, and the compressor can get coatings for heat rejection. if you get a bigger turbo at least size it for the application. to many people put to big a turbo for the setup they have.

4. for the compressor side, before the turbo you need to eliminate all restrictions. getting cold air helps, but don't sacrifice using a huge long bendy tube to suck dirty air out of a wheel well (brake dust, and dirt), when you can get sufficiently cool air behind a headlight.

5. immediately after the turbo, the air is extremely hot, so a restriction in the pipes will have a very significant effect on power and pressure drop. the air will he highly pressurized, at a high temp, therefor the velocity will be very fast. make sure this tube is large and no tight bends.

6. intercooler should be sized such that you have a very small pressure drop. additionally you want it to be efficient enough to cool your intake air to near ambient if possible.

7. tubes after intercooler are not as significant as before because the charged air is much more dense (significantly cooler), but at a slightly lower pressure. this means the air is not moving nearly as fast. however this still means keep the tubes relatively straight, minimize bends, and make sure the diameter is large enough to not cause a pressure drop, yet, to large it will act like a big capacitor and reduce your throttle response.

8. intake manifold should be tuned for resonances at the RPM's you most likely will be running at. the plenum size should be large enough to reduce pulses effecting other cylinders, but not so large as to reduce throttle response. runner length is determined by the RPM range you wish to operate at based off the resonance tuning. coating the IM to shed heat isn't a bad idea. runners should be pretty smooth, but don't need to be polished as a little roughness will provide better air/fuel mixing.

9. fuel system should be designed to not max out duty cycle of injectors. i would recommend not going over 85% duty cycle, but some recommend 90 and others 80.

10. engine internals, find a good set of cams. changing out valves and valve springs will help run higher RPM's, porting head can help, thermal barrier coatings on the piston surfaces and anti-friction coatings on the skirts can increase reliability and keep the heat in the exhaust (not into the oil). coatings on the crank and connecting rods can increase oil shedding reducing parasitic losses.

11. get a good EMS system and tune the **** out of it until it is running perfect.

does that help?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have a problem with any type of car. Ford, Honda, Dodge.... I don't even mind watching the Fast and Furious movies. I've always had a little rice in my veins and have brought this up in many posts before this. I cruise and chill with many drivers of all sorts of cars as i'm sure many Evo owners do. The thing i've noticed with honda owners online tho... They're ALWAYS quick to respond to "rice" or "sticker" comments. Chill out guys. Go ahead and give yourself a "good game" for me I'm always quick to back up my riced out wing at the drag strip, so i know what's it like to think someones stepin on my toes. It's all good baby

Last edited by walkedu; Dec 20, 2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

wow can we get a mod in here? Some of the comments directed towards SWOLN were a downright embarassment of the Evo community.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KevinD, that's all great information, but they're not really tricks. I don't know what the thread originator was really talking about or what he's looking for, but from the example he gave, it doesn't match the type of info you were giving. He drives a Honda but came on an Evo board talking about coming up with tricks to beat out domestics with turbos? What's the real point? We don't have hardly any "tricks" like he's referring to except for the coolant bypass mod.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

warrtalon: true, none of those are "tricks" but a vast majority of people who try modding thier cars don't understand what they are doing or why. therefore many things, like polished exhaust manifolds, serve no purpose other then looking pretty. if thats the goal, then he wouldn't be asking for tricks to gain performance. additionally, there really is no such "trick" that someone hasn't already tried or done elsewhere.

if by tricks he meant "Free", then the best mod is cutting weight. take out the stereo system, intercooler sprayer and resevior, spare tire, don't buy heavy 19inch wheels, etc...

Quick Reply: Performance Tricks