Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Potential Evo IX buyer concerns

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Potential Evo IX buyer concerns

I am seriously considering an Evo IX at this point, especially with the special EvoM member pricing through that one guy, and it's cool because I live two miles away from the South Coast Mitsubishi dealership in California where it is available. I know that this is not a Civic and I shouldn't expect it to be as easy on my wallet as one, but I want to know how practical this car will be and if I can afford it. Don't bother asking how much I make, I just want to know how much I can expect to spend.

I don't autocross, race, or whatever, so having an Evo is purely for the fun and excitement factor. I expect to do some full-throttle blasts here and there and hit a couple corners every so often at fun speeds at most. So as a result, I don't see myself going through tires and brake pads as quickly as the average guy on this board. (When it comes to replacing the tires in hopefully more than 15k miles, I'd probably look for some cheaper alternatives with greater tread life.) In addition, my drive to work is about 15-20 miles each way, and the majority of it is freeway miles. How badly does air conditioning affect your mpg? Obviously insurance rates vary, but if anyone has any ideas, let me know... I am 22 in Southern California, just graduated from UC Irvine, no tickets, and with one accident reported (I think, years ago), but I wasn't at fault.

So all BS and biases aside, should I do it? I know I won't use this car to its fullest potential, but then again, how many drivers really do? Like I said, I won't drive it competitively, just spirited. Is it worth it? And will maintenance costs murder me?

Another car I was considering is a 2006 Lexus IS350 - lower maintenance costs, better mpg and cruise range, silky-smooth V-6, much sexier, but a lot more expensive, less thrilling... by the way, is insurance on this car more or less than the Evo? As a graduation present, I'm going to have some help from my parents, so that's why this is still an option despite the significant price difference, but I want to make sure that the difference is worth it, or if I should just get the bang-for-the-buck factor of the Evo. I know that these are two very different cars (it's not like the whole Evo vs. STI deal), but I want to know what you guys think, especially if you have firsthand experience with both cars.

Last edited by DeeezNuuuts83; Dec 28, 2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance rates are really unpredictable, especially state to state. I've heard of people paying $2000 a year for a car and people paying $600 a year for the same car. You really should just call your agent/company and get a quote. Insurance is a major expense and knowing the exact rate will take a lot of guesswork out of your decision.

Given the choice, I'd choose the Evo for the following:

1. More rare than IS350.
2. More fun to drive, even if you don't expect to use it to its "full" potential, you might find that you like the ability to do things that most cars on the road can't do.
3. You have the rest of your adult life ahead of you. Save the Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, etc for later.
4. If you keep it stock, you'll have a better warranty on the Evo than the IS350.

I'll save the input related to maintenance cost to someone that actually drives an Evo.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the Lexus. It sounds like the Evo would be wasted in your possession. The IS350 will be a blast to own and drive. I had an IS300 before my Evo, and the only thing it lacked was power. You won't lack power at all, yet will have all the luxury, comfort, and looks that I loved for the whole 3 years I owned it.

Btw, unless the new more powerful engine suddenly gets better gas mileage, the IS350 will not be any better than the Evo. My IS300 averaged less than 20mpg. My Evo averages a little higher despite constant boosting...
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Btw, unless the new more powerful engine suddenly gets better gas mileage, the IS350 will not be any better than the Evo. My IS300 averaged less than 20mpg. My Evo averages a little higher despite constant boosting...
I think the factory rating for the IS350 is 21 city/28 highway... I believe the rating for the IS300 was 18/25... so that's a nice improvement along with all the extra hp and torque.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

I was faced with the same decision not too long ago but with the is300, And i went with the Evo. I am glad i made the decision i did. One thing that made me lean towards the evo was of course the performance, and the all-wheel drive feature. The IS350 is rear wheel drive which of course isnt as safe as the all wheel drive. I would tell you to get the evo, but beware, i planned on not modding my evo and just leaving it pretty much stock for the most part, but IT'S ADDICTING! I'm already in the process of dropping a bigger turbo into it and i've only had it for a year, if that. But to me it sounds like you are more of a luxury kind of person and want that luxury feeling/looks. So if i were you i would go with the Lexus. Especially the Lexus IS350 which will probably give you all the power you want. Final word, Get the LEXUS
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, you can get the IS350 in AWD, so that's not a deterrent...other than the extra cost.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yeap, just found that out. Thanks for clearing that up
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Btw, you can get the IS350 in AWD, so that's not a deterrent...other than the extra cost.
I think its(AWD) ONLY on the I250 not the I350 pre Car and Driver
Old Dec 28, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Don't know your history on what cars you owned but... I did the sports car thing for a while, then decided I wanted luxury and a little sportiness would suffice, but for me personally, I was wrong. I think you should get a test drive in both then decide. If the dealer won't let you drive the EVO, find someone near you and see if you can tag along for a ride. Luckily my dealer let me test drive mine.

But the IS350 is a hella nice car!!!!! I looked at them on Monday afternoon before going to the Mitsubishi dealer.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
I think its(AWD) ONLY on the I250 not the I350 pre Car and Driver
The Lexus site confirms what you just said.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I also had an IS300. Great car, didn't ride extremely smooth, but it was "tight". I had a 5-speed and the shift was a little clunky. Now that does not help much with you considering the 06. From the old car, I think the Lexus would be a better ride (comfort), better interior (no-brainer), and more bells and whistles. Reliablitly should be better also IMO (although that is a first year model, Lexus typically has it together and I would no hesitiate). The evo, completely different class of car. I don't race or track mine either, but, I really enjoy "driving" a car. There are few cars that have a better feel than the evo. Then there is the trubo kick. It is very dramatic in the Evos (I have an 05), and the handling and braking is outstanding. I actually like the style of the EVO and don't mind that there is not a big L on the front. Evo, like you mentioned is going to be more expensive on the upkeep (synthetic, tires, etc), but I think you have two good choices. However, don't expect your evo to be rattle free and keep in mind you have a rally car wearing a Lancer shell (don't bother me at all). The main thing will be your preferance, and you can't go wrong with either (10 year warranty on the Evo eased my mind somewhat). Good luck with either choice.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, i listened to my friend on that one.. Bad idea..... Get the lexus
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

It's pretty much a win win for you man. Both cars are awesome cars. Good luck on your desicion.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

get the lex you don't sound like you really want an evo me personally I could have busted a nut in my pants the first time driving it I absolutely love my car and I am paying almost 600/month car loan and 388.89/ins per month <-----really bad record + 1 suspended license
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8rcr
get the lex you don't sound like you really want an evo
I DO want an Evo. I just don't want to have to buy new tires every 10k miles, spend $250 on brake pads alone, etc.

Is there anyone in Southern California who would be willing to take me out for a spin and scare the **** out of me? I live in Newport Beach, I'd be willing to just drive to where you live to minimize any inconveniences, if you're nearby.

Oh yeah, there is a silver VIII down the street from me... I live on 51st St. in Newport Beach, and this one usually parks on Neptune and 53rd/54th... anyone?

Quick Reply: Potential Evo IX buyer concerns