Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Rev limit on IX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rev limit on IX

Is it 7600rpm? I can spin the motor that high in stock trim?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

*sigh*

Unless it changed from the previous 3 years, yes it's 7600rpm. And yes, you can spin the motor that high and higher. Please, please, please search for this stuff.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
*sigh*

Unless it changed from the previous 3 years, yes it's 7600rpm. And yes, you can spin the motor that high and higher. Please, please, please search for this stuff.
I searched but it didn't sound right to me, I got hesitation when I tryed to pass 7k rpm. I guess my car har some problems if I can't pass 7k.....it feels like fuel cut.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, nothing should happen at 7k. Do you have any mods? Also, at the rev limiter, the car does not hesitate. It cuts fuel, pops really fast (aka bouncing off the rev limiter) and doesn't let you continue accelerating even if you keep it floored.

Fuel cut is not a hesitation either. It's when you flow too much air and pass the MAFs threshhold for safety, which causes the ECU to cut all fuel, which is not a hesitation, but rather a complete cutoff of power. It feels like hitting a brick wall and is quite startling.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, nothing should happen at 7k. Do you have any mods? Also, at the rev limiter, the car does not hesitate. It cuts fuel, pops really fast (aka bouncing off the rev limiter) and doesn't let you continue accelerating even if you keep it floored.

Fuel cut is not a hesitation either. It's when you flow too much air and pass the MAFs threshhold for safety, which causes the ECU to cut all fuel, which is not a hesitation, but rather a complete cutoff of power. It feels like hitting a brick wall and is quite startling.
Well this is what happened: I was just testing my 0-60 and realized I wasn't reaching it by the end of 2nd gear, I was shifting right at 7k rpm. I tryed another run and took 1st gear till 7k in 2nd gear I tryed spinning it past 7k but when I reached that high it felt like someone pushed down on my brakes, I assumed that I hit fuel cut but that shouldn't happen till 7600 rpm right? My car is still bone stock, not even a boost gauge in it!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

No, fuel cut from the ECU due to overboost or too much airflow is different from fuel cut when hitting the rev limiter. When you hit the rev limiter, it just stops accelerating and pops really fast while bouncing off the rev limiter, but when you hit overboost fuel cut, it's like hitting a brick wall as I said before. It's a near-violent jerk like hitting the brakes. This should not happen at 7k.

You're saying it doesn't happen in 1st gear, right? What about 3rd gear?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

No, fuel cut from the ECU due to overboost or too much airflow is different from fuel cut when hitting the rev limiter. When you hit the rev limiter, it just stops accelerating and pops really fast while bouncing off the rev limiter, but when you hit overboost fuel cut, it's like hitting a brick wall as I said before. It's a near-violent jerk like hitting the brakes. This should not happen at 7k.

You're saying it doesn't happen in 1st gear, right? What about 3rd gear?
I only tryed it in 2nd gear so I'm not sure about any other gear, I'm going to try to take 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear past 7k and see what happens. I have hit fuel cut once before in my sti and it felt like someone hit the brakes hard at high speeds, my evo felt the same way when I tryed spinning it past 7k. Maybe it was a glitch and won't happen again, I guess I have to try it to see what happens.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Just to update I tryed to spin it past 7k in first but it felt like I was hitting fuel cut at 7200 rpm so I just gave up in first gear. I waited 5 min and tryed again but this time from a roll in 2nd gear, I was able to go through 2nd-4th gears while shifting @ 7400 rpm's without a problem.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may be a stupid question but are you doing this on a completely warm engine or just getting it out of the neighborhood and flooring it? I am thinking that you do this on a completely warm motor but just had to ask.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slo4g63
This may be a stupid question but are you doing this on a completely warm engine or just getting it out of the neighborhood and flooring it? I am thinking that you do this on a completely warm motor but just had to ask.
The motor was def. warm when I did those runs.