Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Drilled stock intake box?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drilled stock intake box?

My friend, who has a highly modded VIII, gave me his old stock air box and told me to use it. I told him I didn't need it but he told me this one is different. When he gave it to me it had 5 holes drilled on the top, I told him this was ghetto as hell. He said the purpose of the holes was to bring in more air and produce more sound from the turbo. So has anyone done this before? Any negative affects?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will be able to hear the turbo spool and the bov relieve pressure. i would not do it though, because you will be letting in hot air from under the hood. the box has the "ram air" scoop for 2 reasons: cooler air, and it actually shoves air into the turbo at high speeds, so the turbo doesnt have to create a vacuum.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm keeping the ram air scoop, I thought the added holes might be some help. Sucking in hot air from under the hood shouldn't be an issue right? I mean when the air gets pulled into the turbo the air gets super heated anyways so it really doesn't matter what the air intake temp. is since when it hits the turbo it will be hot as hell.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Other than hearing more noise i dont think it would help in the HP area. The stock air box is good for more HP that most people will build their car to. So if it makes the sound louder and that what you want more power to you. If it runs like crap or you see junk getting to the filter i would cover the holes up.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

I took the top off, I just have to clean my K & N more frequently...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
What did you do to hold the filter in place? won't it pop off?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
that sounds ghetto is it a drop in
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

one of my friends and I actually are running a verion of this, but a little different. what we did was take the top of the stock airbox to make a custom version of the blitz air box. Baiscally, the top has a large square cut out and has mesh covering the open area to keep stuff out of the filter. Basically cheaper than buying the actual blitz induction cover for $200. I haven't gone on the dyno since I've done this so I can't back it up with hard numbers yet, But I can tell you that I haven't seen any negative effects since trying this. I am running the blitz high flow panel filter right now. I will let you guys know what it looks like after I get a new tune and see what the numbers look like. Maybe I'll see if I can do some runs with the normal airbox top and one with mine and see if it is actually doing anything at all for HP. I'll keep you posted. I have pictures of my air box top somewhere on evom
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IndyClint
you will be able to hear the turbo spool and the bov relieve pressure. i would not do it though, because you will be letting in hot air from under the hood. the box has the "ram air" scoop for 2 reasons: cooler air, and it actually shoves air into the turbo at high speeds, so the turbo doesnt have to create a vacuum.
Just wondering if anyone has tested to actually see if this panel filter lets in hotter air than a cone style filter, which usually is closer to the engine than where the stock box is located (ARC air intake box/blitz air panel) I wonder if the "hot air" from the cone style vs. drop in makes a huge difference since there are major manufactures making these applications.
Attached Thumbnails Drilled stock intake box?-blitz.bmp   Drilled stock intake box?-arc.bmp  

Last edited by ddubb; Jan 26, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddubb
Just wondering if anyone has tested to actually see if this panel filter lets in hotter air than a cone style filter, which usually is closer to the engine than where the stock box is located (ARC air intake box/blitz air panel) I wonder if the "hot air" from the cone style vs. drop in makes a huge difference since there are major manufactures making these applications.
It Doesn't matter how hot the air is since when it reaches the turbo it gets heated up in the compressor.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
It Doesn't matter how hot the air is since when it reaches the turbo it gets heated up in the compressor.
that's just dumb, man. If you don't think intake temps affect power, then you just have no understanding of How Things Work. Did you not know that a car in 100-degree weather will make significantly less power than one in 40-degree weather? I mean isn't that just common sense? Hell, on the Evo, you can FEEL the difference in the summer - it just feels weak. But then in the winter, all that power is there. Plus, with lower intake temps, you can run more boost and more timing without knock, which are both huge factors in creating power. go look at all the guys in Florida and in Arizona who are always complaining about how hot it is, and thus why they can't run good times at the track. Then, go take a look at how people like to use SAE correction when posting/viewing dynographs. That's because SAE correction adjusts the numbers in the attempt to estimate how much power would be made if the car were in 75-degree weather. If you dyno in 100-degree weather, SAE correction raises the actual numbers; if you dyno in 40-degree weather, SAE correction lowers the actual numbers.

So, to make the comment that intake temps don't matter because the turbo superheats the air is just ridiculous. Try to think things out a little more before you do it. Holes in the stock box are very much ghetto. It will ruin the vaccuum that is created and throw off the air flow. Just use your unmolested intake - otherwise, just get a real intake and get tuned.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 26, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
that's just dumb, man. If you don't think intake temps affect power, then you just have no understanding of How Things Work. Did you not know that a car in 100-degree weather will make significantly less power than one in 40-degree weather? I mean isn't that just common sense? Hell, on the Evo, you can FEEL the difference in the summer - it just feels weak. But then in the winter, all that power is there. Plus, with lower intake temps, you can run more boost and more timing without knock, which are both huge factors in creating power. go look at all the guys in Florida and in Arizona who are always complaining about how hot it is, and thus why they can't run good times at the track. Then, go take a look at how people like to use SAE correction when posting/viewing dynographs. That's because SAE correction adjusts the numbers in the attempt to estimate how much power would be made if the car were in 75-degree weather. If you dyno in 100-degree weather, SAE correction raises the actual numbers; if you dyno in 40-degree weather, SAE correction lowers the actual numbers.

So, to make the comment that intake temps don't matter because the turbo superheats the air is just ridiculous. Try to think things out a little more before you do it. Holes in the stock box are very much ghetto. It will ruin the vaccuum that is created and throw off the air flow. Just use your unmolested intake - otherwise, just get a real intake and get tuned.
You sir are the biggest *** hole in the world! you can't wait to be attack people so just don't respond to my threads/posts. I don't know everything about turbo cars but I'm no n00b. I never was going to do this mod, I'm still using my stock box. I asked about it because my friend did it to his stock box and he wanted to give me his drilled one since he has an aftermarket intake. Look *** hat I know that it's better to see 40 degree air vs 100 degree air but what I ment was it won't matter much since the turbo will super heat in a hundred times over so it won't matter much how hot the air going in is. it's not like 40degree air is worth 50whp over 100 degree air, the turbo will super heat the air then the fmic will cool the air intake charge.......so to me it won't matter. yes I understand 40 degree air blah blah blah but I still don't think it's going to be much of a difference. My point is **** how hot the air going in is since the turbo will super heat it then the fmic will cool it. That being said my friend gave me his hks induction pipe so I can still use the stock box and get rid of that cheap plastic chit.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

The rubber part of the filter is pretty dense so it stays in place by itself; I'm not taking it out on rally roads or anything to make it come out of place, so I'm not real concerned about it. It's just a daily driver...

Originally Posted by GgreyEVOIX
What did you do to hold the filter in place? won't it pop off?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

It is a drop-in, and I really don't care what anyone thinks about how it looks, thanks for your opinion though. When we meet, I will surely put it on for you.

Originally Posted by evo8rcr
that sounds ghetto is it a drop in
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

The temperature before the turbo will be pretty high around 3000 rpm if you suck the air from the engine bay with the cone filter. Then, It becomes ambient temperature where the peak horse power happens. This was from my little tests with blitz sus power when ambient temp was 63F.
3195 rpm 72F
4105 rpm 70F
4730 rpm 68F
5047 rpm 66F
5320 rpm 64F
6406 rpm 63F
7117 rpm 63F

Theoretically, you could loose power around 3000 rpm. But the cone type filter will give you more horse power up top due to the more air flow.
So, drilling the box should yield more power up top. However, that will be so marginal and hard to detect. It will be nice to hear the turbo though...

Quick Reply: Drilled stock intake box?