Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2006 Evo...newbie

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Evo...newbie

Hey guys,

Just bought a 2006 evo. I love it Traded in a 2002 WRX with a JDM STI motor and transmission. Before that i had a b18c5 turbo Civic and a H22A4 Turbo Hatched, both fast but FWD just didnt do it for me. When I bough my subie I feel in love, but when i started to get destroyed on the track by Evo w/very few mods (in comparsion to my WRX) i had to take a look. I'm glad i made the choice, although $30,000 was hard to come by for a college student (washington state University, for those of you that were/are greek I'm a fiji or PHI GAMMA DELTA) i think i made the best decision i could have.
Now where to start with modifications with this thing. I have been doing some reading, but I am totally open to any and all suggestions. Thinking I'll do a turbo back first, and maybe a BOV kit any suggestions? Prices??? Dyno numbers??? Thanks a lot guys i look forward to this forum ALOT.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

there are a lot of choices to choose from...and also each will have his/her own opinion on what to get... but yea... good luck with your new car...
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

sorry to thread jack, but could you give me some more specs of the b18 & h22 motors? horsepower figures? track times? sounds like you really have good taste. pics couldn't hurt of all the previous cars either.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

PM Warrtalon; he is the EVOM Expert on the best modding path. Also don't use the search button for information. PM him instead or start a new thread. OUT!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

A B18C5 with Turbo? O_o
I bet you couldnt run too much boost with that much compression =)
I had 4 hondas before my Evo, and I love my Evo the most.
The Evo IX was a good choice, and to get the most power out of your parts
You need a reflash. I recommend any flash besides dynoflash. The parts on the IX (i.e TBE) Don't seem to make power without a proper flash.

Good luck with your Evo!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06evofiji
Hey guys,

Just bought a 2006 evo. I love it Traded in a 2002 WRX with a JDM STI motor and transmission. Before that i had a b18c5 turbo Civic and a H22A4 Turbo Hatched, both fast but FWD just didnt do it for me. When I bough my subie I feel in love, but when i started to get destroyed on the track by Evo w/very few mods (in comparsion to my WRX) i had to take a look. I'm glad i made the choice, although $30,000 was hard to come by for a college student (washington state University, for those of you that were/are greek I'm a fiji or PHI GAMMA DELTA) i think i made the best decision i could have.
Now where to start with modifications with this thing. I have been doing some reading, but I am totally open to any and all suggestions. Thinking I'll do a turbo back first, and maybe a BOV kit any suggestions? Prices??? Dyno numbers??? Thanks a lot guys i look forward to this forum ALOT.
You haven't really been doing any reading if you are even thinking of doing a "BOV kit". We know better; you can't fool us.

Your awesome Evo IX comes with a great BOV already. Go open your hood and look at it. If you know what a BOV does, then you will understand that there's no reason to upgrade one that already holds boost very well. If you don't understand what a BOV does and just think it's cool to upgrade it for sound, then send me a PM, and I'll explain to you why that is foolish.

As for exhaust, that is a good idea on the Evo, but with the IX, you have to make sure you get the proper combination of parts if you want to make power. An exhaust by itself will not make more power, so be sure to follow the proven path for making power. I have put together packages that are sold by one of, if not THE most, respected vendors in the Evo community: Buschur Racing. You can find the package details by clicking on the link in my sig. Basically, for $1270 shipped, you get the proper combination of mods to put you at 330-340whp/wtq on a Dynojet with 93oct without any extraneous mods that aren't needed.

That is my suggestion.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome. I have been doing some research, but mainly on exhaust systems... yeah I thought of a BOV kit because of the sound (had one on my wrx and it got a lot of attention, and that didnt hurt in a college town with grils ) but thanks for setting me straight. Like i said I am open to any and all suggestions, I am here to learn.

Just a quick question for you Warrtalon, if I do the Stage one package (which sounds great) What type of autometer gauge is it? And is this a good starting point to start adding on other parts? I'd like to hit almost 400WHP down the road, but still have a DD if that makes any sense...maybe not. More questions sorry... do you need my ECU? And how long will this take?? Thanks for the help man. I'm sure down the road i'll have more just tell me if i step over the line...

As for the old numbers (hondas) i'll try to post my dyno sheets, but i think there back home in vancouver, and i'm in pullman. As far as times both cars were mid 12's dont remember exactly its been almost 5 years now. BTW I did have my compression changed on my b18c, there is a shop in portland that is amazing with Hondas, but completely understand what you are saying. it was a job.

Last edited by 06evofiji; Mar 1, 2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06evofiji
Just a quick question for you Warrtalon, if I do the Stage one package (which sounds great) What type of autometer gauge is it? And is this a good starting point to start adding on other parts? I'd like to hit almost 400WHP down the road, but still have a DD if that makes any sense...maybe not. More questions sorry... do you need my ECU? And how long will this take?? Thanks for the help man. I'm sure down the road i'll have more just tell me if i step over the line...
1) Autometer (choice of UltraLite, SportComp, or Phantom)
2) Yes, it's the best place to start for adding on other parts, imo. You won't have anything you don't need, and you won't be buying anything you have to replace. The exhaust and MBC will take you to 400whp easily. You will, however, need retunes down the road, but those are at a discounted rate.
3) Yes, I also am building my car to be close to 400whp/400wtq on the stock turbo but with as much daily drivability as possible.
4) Yes, you send the ECU to Dynoflash (not me), and it gets a special Buschur flash specified to this package - it takes 2 days total as long as you use Fedex overnight, because Al will Fedex it overnight back to you. Or, since you're in WA, if you don't mind driving to Portland next weekend, you could get your flash in person from Al, because he's going there for a big tuning trip the weekend of the 11th/12th.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon is my forum hero! Although you are being a bit nicer to the noobs.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Warrtalon,

I will be getting a hold of this system in the near future i think. The only thing holding me back is I may do AEM EMS or Utec (had a Utec in my WRX). But again thank you for all the help.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

welcome man i'd go w/ the ems bro far more features and u can get rid of that MAF