Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.fatmat.com

I bought 100sq ft for $100 + shipping ($30) and it is more than enough to do my entire car. And the full 100sq ft only weighs in at 23lbs. Amazing stuff.

Its a type of rubber with a strong adhesive backing and a top foil of aluminumm. Works just like dynamat extreme but at a fraction of the cost.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew LB
www.fatmat.com

I bought 100sq ft for $100 + shipping ($30) and it is more than enough to do my entire car. And the full 100sq ft only weighs in at 23lbs. Amazing stuff.

Its a type of rubber with a strong adhesive backing and a top foil of aluminumm. Works just like dynamat extreme but at a fraction of the cost.
I just installed this stuff in my doors. I couldn't tell any difference. Just did some more research on the stuff, and its not rubber.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Its asphalt with some rubberizing compounds. Can get the same product at Home Depot for even less than what Fatmat sells it for. I wish I had seen this review before I installed this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Sound deadening-img_2811_web2.jpg   Sound deadening-img_2812_web2.jpg  
Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

i think u should try the trunk and roof since i think those areas will give u the most difference.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
i think u should try the trunk and roof since i think those areas will give u the most difference.
I forgot to mention that Fatmat stinks too. Gives the interior an oily smell. I will get around to doing the trunk, but not with Fatmat. Why would the trunk make such a big difference? With the back seat and all the carpet, I figured that installing matting in the trunk would make a minimal difference.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I forgot to mention that Fatmat stinks too. Gives the interior an oily smell. I will get around to doing the trunk, but not with Fatmat. Why would the trunk make such a big difference? With the back seat and all the carpet, I figured that installing matting in the trunk would make a minimal difference.
Because the trunk will act like an echo chamber for the exhaust note to travel through. Dumb question but did you remove the plastic liner on your doors before applying the sound deadening material? You were saying you didnt notice that big of a difference, that could be why.

I noticed a marked difference after putting Dynamat Extreme in the doors. Much less road and exhaust noise.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dynamat Extreme and Fatmat are very different products; one is Butyl-based and the other is asphalt-based, respectively.

FWIW, these are very good, as is Dynamat Extreme:

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by icedomin8r
Because the trunk will act like an echo chamber for the exhaust note to travel through. Dumb question but did you remove the plastic liner on your doors before applying the sound deadening material? You were saying you didnt notice that big of a difference, that could be why.

Yep, that was a dumb question. Vapor barrier was removed. The trunk was completely full (to the top) of bags of shopping booty all weekend (took the wife and some friends on a road trip) after the fatmat was installed. No room for any echo there, and I'm sure all that stuff had some sound damping effect. :-)
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, that was a dumb question. Vapor barrier was removed. The trunk was completely full (to the top) of bags of shopping booty all weekend (took the wife and some friends on a road trip) after the fatmat was installed. No room for any echo there, and I'm sure all that stuff had some sound damping effect. :-)
Even that you still dont hear a difference? I just did my trunk and I hear a slight drop in resonance in my exhaust. It wasnt a big difference but when im cruising it's slightly tolerable.

I still have to do my doors the the rear of the backset where the trunk meets.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:28 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm going to tear out the Fatmat and try again with Damplifier. I may also try to fill the space between the inner door skin and the plastic door panel with some flexible polyurethane foam insulation.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

so uh...fatmat doesn't work? howcome it's working so well for Andrew?

I've PMed Andrew to see if i could get a ride in his Evo to see how big the difference is but he hasnt responded back to me.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, I think fatmat does the job. Although, it doesnt do the best job it does reduce the sound.

In those testing, you can pay twice as much as the fatmat if you want the "best' quality sound deadning material. But I think for the price you really cant beat the fatmat.

I think it all boils down to personal preference, whether you want to spend the big bucks on the dynamat extreme (or others) or go a little less and sacrifice a little bit of less sound proofing for more money in your pocket.

your choice.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:02 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by goBYeBYe
IMO, I think fatmat does the job. Although, it doesnt do the best job it does reduce the sound.

In those testing, you can pay twice as much as the fatmat if you want the "best' quality sound deadning material. But I think for the price you really cant beat the fatmat.

I think it all boils down to personal preference, whether you want to spend the big bucks on the dynamat extreme (or others) or go a little less and sacrifice a little bit of less sound proofing for more money in your pocket.

your choice.
The difference in effectiveness between asphalt-based products and Butyl-based deadening isn't minor; it's significant. The difference in cost, OTOH, is minute relative to the value of the vehicle. When we take into account everything involved in installing any of the products, their performance in varying atmospheric conditions and the quantity of the product necessary to accomplish the same goal, the difference in price is insignificant. Hell, the difference in smell, alone, is worth more than the outlay.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 31, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:53 PM

i would have to agree its the trunk :P
Old Mar 4, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Bump

I'm in the process of lining the trunk of my RS with fatmat. I'll take some pics. I can definately promise it won't be nearly as clean as Andrew's work though. I think the biggest cultrpit for exhaust noise coming into the cabin on the RS is the trunk side of the back seat. The RS is missing that layer of carpeting that the other Evo trims have. However it's going to be difficult to get in there and actually apply the sound deadening. Although my neighbors should get a kick out of it since my fat a$$ will be hanging half way out of the trunk.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I had GSR SSL for almost 2 years .Now i have RS. Louder ? Yes.
But its not that dramatic. You can hear the tire noise, drive train noise in both.
Matter of fact, if you change your tires for quieter ones, noise will be almost a same as the gsr. if you don't bealive me,i will tak you a spin, if you living around me.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening