Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

help!! evo acting weird

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help!! evo acting weird

i have been having issues with my evo since i bought it last wednesday, been in the shop 2 times and still isn't right. It has had a miss in the idle and still not fixed, had the valve cover replaced due to it leaking and now i just got it back from the dealership and at high RPM's(5200 and up) it is bogging down like the car has no more to go or like a rev limiter. I dont have a clue what it is and i am new to turbo cars so cant diagnosis that well, any info will help
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Get rid of it man. Sounds like someone sold you a lemon.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it have any mods?...if it does...mbc might be causing it to give a fuel cut...and if the valve cover is leaking the previous owner probably had cams in it...there for he beat on it, or raced it..i cant see any other reason to take it off other than that...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

how the hell do you know someone beat on it.. not everyone has a modded car and beats it.. maybe it had a bad gasket.. factory defect.. mine did..

anyways what mods are on the car..

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
does it have any mods?...if it does...mbc might be causing it to give a fuel cut...and if the valve cover is leaking the previous owner probably had cams in it...there for he beat on it, or raced it..i cant see any other reason to take it off other than that...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to explain this phenomenon to us in more detail. There's no correlation between the feel of "bogging down" and hitting a rev limiter, so try to explain it better, if you can. When you hit the rev limiter, the rpms bounce really fast and you get no fuel. A bog is when you try to launch and don't apply enough rpm, then the car "bogs" with almost no power, before the boost finally builds and slingshots you. You can feel a similar bog type feeling at other times, I suppose, but it wouldn't feel like hitting the rev limiter.

What boost system are you using? Stock, EBC, or MBC?

Does it immediately cut out like hitting a brick wall at 5200rpm?

When it "bogs" at 5200rpm, is it while going WOT with full boost or just regular acceleration?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:53 PM
Former Vendor

boy i guess were to late.. the other imformative people here posted some great stuff..
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

its stock now except for a autometer boost guage, but i think the old owner had some mods to it. when it hits 5200 or so it is hard to explain. it is as if it is missing or hitting fuel cut.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 05:22 AM

So what did the Dealer say...?

Hi,

You mentioned on another site that you were taking it to Skyland Mitsu (like they know what to do !!) because of the miss in the #4 cylinder and leaking valve cover gasket...what info did they give you, what CEL codes did they pull ? Is this high speed miss/"bog" new after the Dealer had the car or was it present with the idle miss?

Have you checked all the vacuum hose connections to make sure there isn't one popped off...there are 2 hidden on the driver's side, underside of the intake ?

You know the car will only rev to about 5,200rpms in neutral , right? Are you describing a high rev miss like your #4 cylinder problem ? What max boost does your guage show at WOT?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white venom
its stock now except for a autometer boost guage, but i think the old owner had some mods to it. when it hits 5200 or so it is hard to explain. it is as if it is missing or hitting fuel cut.
Until you take the time to FULLY EXPLAIN IN GREAT DETAIL, we won't be able to help you.

Ok, you told me you are using the stock boost system, I guess, since you say you don't have mods, but you didn't answer the important questions I asked you. I didn't ask them for my health, and taking the time to provide you this much effort isn't for fun either. I can probably help you if you answer the questions above...
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

the miss is under wot, it doesnt really do it in 1st and 2nd as much as it does it in 3rd. My boost will hit 18 lbs of bost but when it starts missing the boost drops to 15 or 16 cant really get a good look because the car is acting so weird. i know i am not explaining it good but i dont really know how else to explain it
Old Apr 7, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

So then it's under full boost at WOT and happens around 5200rpm. It is not fuel cut, though, because you're saying the boost stays up, just not maxed out at 18. If it were fuel cut, it would feel like hitting a brick wall, and all boost and power would be lost.

Is it sputtering at this point? If so, that's your plugs. Go buy a set of NGK BPR7ES at Advanced Auto for about $7-8, gap them to .026, then put them in. Cheapest troubleshooting step you can do.

You probably have issues with your boost system, too, if the previous owner had mods that he put back to stock, but the fact you're even seeing 18psi means it's not the normal problem we see. You could have a leak somewhere - that would require a pressure test:

http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

Do the plugs today, and tell me if it persists.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white venom
the miss is under wot, it doesnt really do it in 1st and 2nd as much as it does it in 3rd. My boost will hit 18 lbs of bost but when it starts missing the boost drops to 15 or 16 cant really get a good look because the car is acting so weird. i know i am not explaining it good but i dont really know how else to explain it
I'm gonna have to agree with Warrtalon on this one. You got a couple of well-rounded people trying to help you but without a better description of the issue..... it's gonna be all luck to find the issue.

Does the car shake, does it feel like you instantly hit a wall? Is the BOV/diverter make a stuttering noise under full boost? Maybe boost creep?

Maybe it doesnt shake and just doesn't feel like it's pulling.....?

Is there any strange noises it's making.....or is it a motion like shaking, losing power violently, etc......?
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like misfiring from faulty plugs.....

PJ