Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Opinions on mods Im going to put on my IX. + a question about camshafts. HELP! :-)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on mods Im going to put on my IX. + a question about camshafts. HELP! :-)

Well, I wanted to know about camshafts that are for the IX. Has somebody manufactured any yet? I asked my mechanic about the turbo trix IX cams and this is what he had to say.

> >I know about those cams and do not have any solid info other than what TT
> >is
> >posting. The fact is, they (TT) are not camshaft manufacturers, to the
> >best
> >of my knowledge, there are no "blanks" available at this point which
>would
> >mean that these parts are re-grinds. Some tuners have been using the 8
> >exhaust cam in the 9 as well.
> >
> >

These are the mods I have considered and the quotes my mechanic emailed me. keep in mind these are dealership prices(its a high performance evo shop that is part of a dealership) I understand they are high, but the guys are really cool and Id rather get them from a dealership to help any warranty issues.

I already have an ecutek flash and a fujitsubo exhaust.
> >bmc drop in filter 85.00
> >Helix 3" DP, HFC Gruppe-s ******
> >these out so badly that I don't even bother selling them.

The fujitsubo
> >2.5" DP is 368.00 (that is what I will be running on my car)
> >
> >02 Housing $200/225 Buschur S/S
> >/ oem ported
> >tubular manifold 899.00 (full race,
> >fits OEM turbo)
> >turbo timer 109.00

edit- forgot Im also set on buying a LICP but wasnt quoted a price.

Id love to hear everybody's opinion, and any advice for other mods. Im really curious about aftermarket IX cams, so itd be great if somebody could answer that for me. Thanks!!

Last edited by backcountryGSX; Apr 17, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As you already know, only TT has cams available for the IX.

The mods don't make sense to me, and I don't know how you expect to get any warranty coverage for your IX with those mods unless you mean warranty coverage from the manufacturers of the parts themselves. You don't need to buy from that place to have your parts warranties covered.

- The 2.5" DP for more than double the normal cost of a 3" makes no sense
- BMC filter is ok I guess. K&N is $60, and Works is close to $100
- o2 housing from Buschur is $200 for the tubular SS and is ceramic coated - good mod
- Full Race mani on your lightly-modded Evo? Wow, that's a huge mod for such a minimal setup. $900 to gain very little is not smart, imo. You can get your stocker ported and coated by Buschur for $195 (not $225 as the website incorrectly states) and make 4 less HP than the Full Race.
- TT? Not needed, but get it if you want it.

Where's the MBC, LICP, and alky? You can get all of these plus a ported/coated stock mani for the price of the Full Race mani. You'll need a retune as well on the EcuTek for whicever path you take, but that's not as expensive as the original license cost.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the LICP on my list, and a mbc really isnt needed if I have an ecutek. my boost is set at 21.4psi and Im not going to mess with it. And my mistake, the manifold isnt supposed to be on my list because I didnt have the funds to get it. And I had researched about getting mine ported from buschur afterwards, so if I do want to do something about my manifold Im going that route. He had a reason for the 2.5"...I think he said he saw the same gains as a 3"....Ill have to call him because honestly I dont completely remember.

The manager of the shop said since the dealership is doing the mods, they wont void my warranty as long as they know it wasnt the drivers fault. Theyve done work on our 240z, eclipse, nsx, pantera, and gto, we're good friends with the manager. He said he'll take care of us. Plus, isnt there a law about as long as you replace the stock parts with equal or better parts you can still have warranty coverage? I read that in someones signature that was talking about warranties... anyways, thanks for the reply I appreciate it
Old Apr 17, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, well, you should be careful. You're referring to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, but the dealership doesn't get to make all the decisions. If something big breaks, then it usually has to get approval from a regional or district rep before the repair can be warrantied, so it doesn't matter what the local service manager said. Many people have had warranty claims denied based on unrelated parts without the proof that is required by the MMWA, because there is no one to enforce the Act, and most of us don't have the time nor resources to hire a lawyer and go into a 2-year legal battle with Mitsu.