Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO vs. DSM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO vs. DSM

I hear a lot of DSM owners saying that the EVO is just a souped up DSM. The problem is that 210hp != 274hp. Mod-for-mod, the EVO wins hands down. So what really does make the EVO - next generation?

-M
Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact that it has the same engine...

The Evo is a different chassis, but as far as power goes, it's the same engine with a bigger turbo and FMIC. On the DSMs, we'd just add the same type of turbo and an FMIC, then have the same power as an Evo before Evos even came out. My first DSM was as fast as my Evo is now with an even smaller 16g.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The difference is the EVO can stop and turn better than almost any DSM. That and it won't break every three 1/4 mile runs!

I can talk smack because prior to my EVO I had a 98 GSX. The EVO is SUPERIOR to the DSM in every way. I haven't looked back since.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
The difference is the EVO can stop and turn better than almost any DSM. That and it won't break every three 1/4 mile runs!

I can talk smack because prior to my EVO I had a 98 GSX. The EVO is SUPERIOR to the DSM in every way. I haven't looked back since.
I agree with you! I had a 90 Talon TSi AWD and it was slow with full TBE, boost controller, and intake compared to my EVO with the same mods. Of course, my EVO has a bigger turbo and intercooler. It is indeed the same motor, but there is more going on under the hood than just the motor being the same.

-M
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Not much more. Like I said, I was just as fast in my Talon as my Evo. I had 3 DSMs run 12.5 or better with nothing more than a small 16g. It's the 4G63 that makes the DSM/Evo able to make good power, not the fact that the Evo happens to start off with a big 16g and FMIC.

On the handling side of the house, there is no comparison.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Not much more. Like I said, I was just as fast in my Talon as my Evo. I had 3 DSMs run 12.5 or better with nothing more than a small 16g. It's the 4G63 that makes the DSM/Evo able to make good power, not the fact that the Evo happens to start off with a big 16g and FMIC.

On the handling side of the house, there is no comparison.
I still think there is more.. head work? pistons? ECU programming is definitely better..

-M
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

No head work (except the IX) and no piston differences that make a significant power difference. ECU? Big deal. We don't go fast without a tune anyway. I went 12.1@113 with just an SAFC for tuning on my Talon and went 12.0@113 on my Evo with an SAFC. The Evo just has a bigger 16g.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Apr 21, 2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, one main thing is the compression ratio. The evo has 8.8:1 comp and the 2g dsms had 8.5:1 and the 1g dsms had 7.8:1. There are other changes in head work as well.

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I still think there is more.. head work? pistons? ECU programming is definitely better..

-M
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

The IX has significant head differences, but the VIII differences are not significant in terms of making power. For all intents and purposes, the VIII is just a souped up DSM in terms of making power, which is what he originally questioned.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

I owned, built & parted out many dsm before getting the evo. there aren't many similarities between the two beasts. the older evo's shared the same motor as the t/e/l (evo I-III). IV-IX have a motor that is similar in theory but not the same motor. they are two totally different cars altogether. I have yet to find anything that is oem on my evo (except paint & bov/1gbov) that is not better than any oem part on a dsm that i have ever owned/worked on. I do not see how anyone can say that the evo is just a built dsm. yes they are both awd, 2.0L turbo 4g63 & mitsu products but that's about where the similarities end.

i'm not talking dsm's down by any means. i still have crazy (self punishing most of the time) love for t/e/l as i built/raced/owned them for around 9 years. I just got sick of fixing them on a monthly basis. Comparing the two cars is really not fair to the dsm. different time....... different car....... different quality