Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Another WRX spy on your site

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes sir, that is one pretty subaru. Nice ride.

When you park it next to the MR, can you cut the tension with a butter knife? ha.
Old May 19, 2006, 08:25 AM

So I'm finding out that the EJ20/25 exhaust pluming, heads, and ECU programing has a lot to do with it. And as GI Joe says that knowing is half the battle.

As for mine, I've got an 03 bugeye w/ EDM STi lights and Cobb stg 1. I'm getting some parts next week to upgrade to stg 2. As some of you probably alread know, WRX w/ Cobb stg. 2 is close to stock STi power ~225awhp area.

Anyways, keep the comments comming fellas!
Old May 19, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Stew!

Anyway, coming back to modding sti's i'm personally convinced that once you are talking silly hp's 400+ or something, then the $/hp becomes pretty much the same for both evo's and sti's specially if you want to do it reliably. I haven't done exact figures, but from frequent browsing, it looks that way...
Old May 19, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

I've got both an '02 WRX and an '06 Evo IX. My suby wagon put down 237 whp and 241 ft-lbs on a dynojet after Shiv tuned it. That was with the stock turbo and intercooler. It's been a super reliable and practical car for me and my wife. It ran a 13.6 quarter right at 100 mph in Gainsville, FL and I was happy with that... considering that it was a wagon that could outrun most of the average Mustang Gt's on street tires. I love the sound of the boxer. I loved that car.

Then I got my Evo IX. The thing made me think that something was wrong with my suby. Now the suby feels like a corolla. I feel like there is more turbo lag now, that it turns like a bus, and that the power delivery is underwhelming. I spent quite a bit of money modding the suby.... a vishnu 321 uppipe, Hayward & Scott downpipe, Prodrive cat back, Ecutek tune, samco hoses, K&N, Eibach springs, Whiteline Swaybar, and some proper wheels and tires. All that stuff and I wasn't even close to what my IX was stock.

Once I added the full exhaust and another Ecuteck tuned by Shiv to my IX... holy crap. So happy now. Now I have a good 100 hp over the suby. It's right around 292 bhp and my Evo is north of 390 bhp. They both weigh in similarly, but the evo feels so much more composed. Did I mention the steering.... one turn lock to lock and hardly any understeer. The exhaust sounds like the devil is blowing his nose.
Old May 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

holy crap dude, youre IX is +390hp with just exhaust and a tune? Man, that's good going!!

not being biased or anything, but comparing the evo to a wrx is a little unfair... anyway, I think an Sti will have a hard time with the IX...
Old May 19, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, my buddy came over with his '03 Evo VIII. He has modded almost everything on it save the turbo. He has cams, cam gears, full exhaust, maxford headers, upgraded ams intercooler, lightweight flywheel and a super grabby clutch, an intake, an mbc, a tune, ssr comp wheels, etc.... and to his disbelief my IX was slightly faster than his. I kind of felt bad since he invested so much into it. If you look at my engine bay it looks bone stock. The exhaust is the only obvious mod. IX's are unfair.
Old May 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

My mom has an 03 WRX, and I've logged thousands of miles on it. My biggest complaint is the 'wait-forever-turbo lag'. Not sure if this can be cleared up easily with an exhaust, but you've got to rev the hell out of it (4,500+ IMO) before it wakes up. I've got a 94 TSi bone stock as a daily driver, and if I'm on the freeway in 5th at 2700ish rpms, and I give it gas, it starts going... I don't need to downshift or anything; it's got a great torqueband. The WRX on the other hand couldn't get out of its own way in 5th at those revs.

I like the car a lot and wouldn't mind having one... but it's frustrating. Will a nice 2.5 TBE fix this at all?
Old May 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Strange this. I really haven't had that much time in WRX's, but form what you guys are saying, lag seems to be an issue.

I haven't experienced any lag with my Sti, or rather none that I'd call significant since all turbo cars have some sort of lag or another. Mine seems to pull from around 3k and goes right up to 8k (although I only use it to about 7-7.2k). Guess that's from the difference between the sti and wrx...
Old May 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

2.5 liter more torque
Old May 19, 2006, 10:54 AM

Yeah, there's pretty noticible lag in the standard wrx, but I can lve with it (but I'm upgrating anyway ). But yes, if I'm in 5th @2500rpm and need to GO, I downshift.

I'll let you know if an up/down pipe and catback clears up the lag. Sad to hear my suby and it's akward rear suspension doesn't hold a candle to the Evo. But it's got enough grip to keep me entertained for days.

Another thing, I wanted to know is how long these 22psi+ Evos are lasting. I've looked around and found people mentioning they've got 20K-30K no problem. Anybody with 75K+ miles with more than stock boost??

Not looking to start a pissing match, just want to dispel the roomers of the 4G63 engine problems.
Old May 19, 2006, 10:59 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The EJ20 is no rookie, but it is not built to handle near as much power as the 4G63, and your stock turbo could fit inside our stock turbo. Anyway, I consider a WRX closer to a Ralliart Lancer. We really only deal with STi's, and even those can't keep up with Evo VIIIs with the same mods. IXs aren't even close.
Posts like this prove you only have an axe to grind and show clearly that you suck at cars. A Ralliart is an NA FWD. A WRX is a at least a turbo + AWD car. The RA doesn't even compare to a 2.0 WRX, so get a grip!

Imprezas are RWD based, which is more that can be said for our FWD based Evos. Look which way the engines are facing in both cars.

The EJ205 in the '02-'05 WRX is not a bad engine, and if you want to get technical, the WRX engine that is the best 4G63 fighter is also only a 2 liter, the Japanese EJ207.

Newbies and veterans on this site alike are highly disserviced by your lunatic banter and the endless diarrhea emanating from your mouth.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Never base anything off of 0-60 times - it's only something that magazines can measure, and it is highly dependent on how hard the car can be launched as well as the gearing (some hit 60 in 1st, some in 2nd, and some in 3rd). The WRX is AWD, and the RA is FWD. Both are slow.

Says the guy with a 110mph trap in his sig.
Both are slower than a stock Evo, but a stock WRX is quite a bit stronger than a stock RA. Once you start modding both, the RA gets left in the dust.
Old May 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HAha, not sure why you're so upset, Noize. I suck at cars, because I associate WRXs more with RA's than with Evos? Wow, quite a conclusion you came to there!! Good job, buddy!

I trapped 110 on pump gas with less than $1000 in mods...that's suddenly slow? Huh? I also trapped right at 114 on those same mods with race gas. Are you trying to say that your 118mph is fast, but my 114 is slow? Haha, funny...I guess you spent less than a $1000 on your mods, eh? Speaking of getting a grip...you may want to follow your own advice. The WRX is not that much faster than an RA, sorry.

And what is this crap about lunatic banter and endless diarrhea? Are you really this upset? I had no idea you were bothered so much by me. That's pretty sad, man...you should probably take some meds or something. It's ok if you want to be a Vishnu fanboi and don't like Dynoflash, but there's no reason to go off the deep end. Be happy with your car - don't worry about me. It's amazing that you went this crazy just because I think WRXs are slow...simply amazing...(I'm flattered, though, truly)
Old May 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Another thing, I wanted to know is how long these 22psi+ Evos are lasting. I've looked around and found people mentioning they've got 20K-30K no problem. Anybody with 75K+ miles with more than stock boost??

Not looking to start a pissing match, just want to dispel the roomers of the 4G63 engine problems.
Dispel what rumors? There are no rumors (wtf is a roomer?) about the 4g63 having engine problems. There never has been other than the crankwalk in 2G DSMs (95-99). The last thing to worry about on an Evo is the engine. It's extremely stout, since it has forged internals and a cast iron block. It can handle upwards of 550whp before needing internal upgrades.

Also, 22psi is really nothing. You can do that on pump gas (93oct) all day long without worry. That may be high on other cars with other turbos, but not on the Evo w/16g6. Those of us with alky run 26+psi daily with no issue.

To answer your mileage question, there is a guy in the DC area with 123k miles on his 03, and he puts down about 330whp with a bunch of mods including cams and such. He's had those mods for quite a while.
Old May 19, 2006, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=Noize]
Newbies and veterans on this site alike are highly disserviced by your lunatic banter and the endless diarrhea emanating from your mouth.

Noize - You think this is bad, you should see all the crying when a thread starts about people racing. This is great forum but there are some members on this forum that Snap-On would be proud of.............
Old May 19, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Yeah, there's pretty noticible lag in the standard wrx, but I can lve with it (but I'm upgrating anyway ). But yes, if I'm in 5th @2500rpm and need to GO, I downshift.

I'll let you know if an up/down pipe and catback clears up the lag. Sad to hear my suby and it's akward rear suspension doesn't hold a candle to the Evo. But it's got enough grip to keep me entertained for days.

22lbs from the stock turbo is a walk-in-the-park for the 4g63. The only reason one would fail with that little boost would be because the owner didn't add enough fuel and/ or have it tuned.

Quick Reply: Another WRX spy on your site