Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Launching.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 06:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launching.

I need some help launching. Before I used to bog out a lot. Like when I first got my car, I couldn't launch. I think the clutch wasn't broken in enough, yet. Today, I tried it again. I'm at about 6600 miles. I rev it to about 3,500. I let the clutch out, holding the rev there, then I press the gas in as the clutch begins to catch. It worked pretty good so long as I don't over do the gas until I'm off the clutch. Is this very bad for my clutch? Is there some way to perform a launch without wearing it out as much? Please help.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 07:01 PM

launcing your car under 5,000 rpms is extremly bad on your clutch you should be launching from atleast 5,000 rpms
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:03 PM
R9

hers how i do it / let the clutch out till i can feel it engage not all the way though/ hold it close to there so your not steppin the clutch all the wayy/ then rev to about 5500 and let go of the clutch like about 1/2 way till good launch and voila there she goes mate
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
Account Disabled

you have the IX..you have a launch controll. or its pretty much like a launch control. just rev all the way to 5k, you wont go past that unless its tuned, then just let go of the clutch slowly. pratice that and youll be flying down the road in no time..
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Even tuned it wont go past 5k unless the tuner raises it.Also make sure you are at a COMPLETE stop, clutch to the floor, floor it and let it bounce off the 5k limiter. You will build about 7-10 lbs. of boost.Then do a fast slip and your off like a rocket. I would advice removing the restricter pill from the slave cylinder and put on a SS clutch cable for best take off (less slip).Practice!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

im also a noob at launching...the burnt smell scares me....
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just keep in mind the stock clutch cant take too many of those launches...no matter what anyone on here tells you. If done right itl be ok for a while but with the stocker youre dwindling its life drastically. But theyre right it should be launched above 5000 if possible and clutch should be engaged not by means of dropping it but more of a controlled slip.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 09:24 PM

I have a flash so what should i launch at?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:19 PM

try this
Click here to watch Tanabe-G-Blue-launch
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

i finally learned how to launch tonite for the real first time with my flash at 5800 building up 8-10 pounds of boost. It was pretty simple, make sure the car is at a dead stop. put it in 1st, floor the gas pedal all the way to the floor then slip the clutch ( let it go slowly till it graps) while u keep ur foot all the way down. Be ready to shift!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Found this thread and need some info on launching as well. My rev limiter is now set to 5.5k, i slip the clutch but my tires don't seem to want to grab too well. The tires will spin, then my rpms would just jump to 7k pretty quick, sorta stopped there, seemed like traction issues w/my tires, stock advans. Is that normal. I remember practicing slipping before w/the stock turbo. 5.8-6k launches seemed the best.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
Found this thread and need some info on launching as well. My rev limiter is now set to 5.5k, i slip the clutch but my tires don't seem to want to grab too well. The tires will spin, then my rpms would just jump to 7k pretty quick, sorta stopped there, seemed like traction issues w/my tires, stock advans. Is that normal. I remember practicing slipping before w/the stock turbo. 5.8-6k launches seemed the best.
Were you on damp/wet ground? If so, u'll just end up staying in one place... lol
Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

I've noticed that the faster you let out the clutch the smoother the launch.

I'm used to cars where you kind of have to let the clutch out gradually otherwise you'll just spin tires. With AWD and the clutch setup, it seems like the clutch takes a lot of the weight to save the tranny on launches and if you just gradually let the clutch out you smoke it.

If you just let the clutch out faster (dropping it is not what I'm saying here), but smoother and faster than a typical FWD car, you'll see what I mean. My first experience launching finished with that awful clutch smell. I still don't have it down, but I'm getting better. (I don't like doing it all that often, I think I've done it twice at the rev limiter, I've dropped it at about 4k though a few more times.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 02:51 AM
Evolving Member

i got mine set at 5500
Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:07 AM

Have been launching my car a bit recently after I manage to get the "launch Control" to work. I find 5,500 rpm to be good for launch. No real need to slip the clutch. Just "throw" it gently and the car will take off perfectly.

Minimising slip will also reduce burn smell, which I use to get when launching manually.

Quick Reply: Launching.