Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

EVO VII vs. STI VII articles...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2002, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by All We'll Drive
Look at them both, drive them both, decide on which would be more fun to mod, and go with it. Why listen to what someone else likes better.
Just passing the time, you know?

I like to hear what other people think. I guess it's the whole forum thing. What I really wanted was some articles to hold me over till January (or whenever it comes out). It doesn't look like anyone read that part.

Drive both before bla bla bla. I'm very impatient so I'm putting a deposit down in August when I finally get my degree so driving both before that isn't an option. It doesn't matter really. I'm getting the EVO regardless.

Old Feb 25, 2002, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EvoLuvr
It doesn't matter really. I'm getting the EVO regardless.

You asked the right question in the right forum to hear what you wanted.
I'll drink to your decision.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 07:57 AM

hi all.......first off, let me say im glad i found this forum. i am by no means a car expert but i have been doing my best to learn. anyway, a couple questions.

1. according to the warrender article, the evo's tank holds 10.6 gallons. with their average of 19 mpg, that would mean the average tank would get around 200 mpg. is that right? i would assume most cars get around 300 mpg.....having to fill up your gas tank every 200 miles doesnt seem very appealing to me.

2. the article talks about bumpy roads and how the sti's softer suspension fares better in those situations. in america, how relevant is that? is it unsafe, or merely less comfortable?

3. can't the evo glide over ground like the sti?

4. how will the evo handle in bad weather? i live in pennsylvania. is it still awesome to drive in rain? also, how about snow? will i be able to go places when we get more than few inches? im assuming the awd will help me out greatly, but the z-rated tires wont hold up long.

5. assuming i do a few mods such as BOV, boost controller, exhaust, downpipe, and intake, will i need to upgrade my suspension?

6. finally, i've only ever seen one picture of an evo vii with a sunroof (the red one on the track in the image gallery.) please tell me we will be able to get a sunroof! and are the headlights hid's? will everything come standard or will there be added options?

thanks so much!
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:35 AM

What's up cary.

The following answers are from different articles and opinions:
1)Yes. I think you mean 200 miles per tank... Well, the small tank is a negative (assuming the one they bring here is the same size).
2)Yeah, it's a rougher ride then the STI but unsafe is never a word I would describe concerning the EVO.
3)Um, my take on the EVO: stiffer setup oriented towards ultimate grip on relatively smooth surfaces.
4)Awesome. Congratulations. Yes. Equally impressive--> Check it out . I have no idea. True, tires will wear out quick.
5)No. Of course you could get the ohlins when they come out for the VII. Ask Cladius how he likes them on his EVO VI TME.
6)Anybody's guess really.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:58 AM

Here's some stuff I got so far

Well, the lack of articles everyone is posting is overwhelming! Please, not everybody at once.

Ok, here's what I got so far:
--Some technical specs from Yahoo groups post--
--Here's a bunch of articles! scanned for your viewing pleasure--
--Some more specs--
--Mitsubishi site--
--Another article--

Bonus:
Oh yeah. For the DSM guys, it appears the EVO VI 4G63 (and likely the previous versions of the EVO) will not suffer from crankwalk. Check out this informitave post. The marcus thread he refers to is right here.

Well, that's pretty much all I got.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EvoLuvr
Thanks for the heads up danc. I've been a member of the I-club for well over a year, even though I don't own a subaru. I don't post over there but I have read many of the threads in both the rumors and factory forced induction sections. My biggest concern is the understeer of the sti. Unless it is an easily solved problem, like maybe with a thicker anti-roll bar in the rear, then it is not what I would consider a "drivers" car. I will be tracking this car at road courses so the handling characteristics at the very limit of adhesion is important to me, although it will be my daily driver as well.
Anti-roll bar and possibly revised front suspension geometry will cure the understeer of the STI. In most cars, understeer is purely a function of suspension settings, the STI is certainly no different.

In Japanese Gymkhana competition, Evo's and STI's regularly swap places at the top of the lists. I personally don't thing you will go wrong with either, the driver is going to make the biggest difference between either vehicle.

Paul Hansen
Old Feb 27, 2002, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

The feel of the Evo is superior to the STi. If you upgrade the Evo in the same way you would upgrade an STi, the Evo will always stay superior. Who cares about gymkhana events anyway? They don't really have THAT much to do with realistic driving (i.e. camber in the roads, bumps, real tracks,...)

If you are going for serious driving, the Evo suspension needs changing, no question about that. Although Öhlins are one of the best, they aren't for everybody cause they cost a lot of money. There's an abundance of different suspensions available for the Evo, from relatively cheap to superexpensive.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

"Yes, sad but true to those of us living in the land of "sport" SUVs and watered-down imports. At least we finally got the WRX, even though it was the ugly, heavier version. And now we get the heavier, reportedly less raw version of the EVO."

You seem to have totally missed the fact that Eclipses and Talons have been in existence in a turbo charged AWD packages since what 1990? Those engines and drivetrains are direct relatives of the Evo if not the same.

I like Subs. One reason why Mitsu is so vague/not-confident is that turbo cars sold between 1991 thru 1999 made up less than 15% of total cars sold. Considering all of the costs involved it wasn't worth it to continue production on those models hence, the 2K Eclipse no longer have the turbo option. Chrysler and Mitsu have been producing turbo-AWD cars since 1991. There was the Starion and Plymouth Laser. forgot to mention the Galant GVR4.

Mike L.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:29 PM

well heres wut i think abt the evo and wrx... i have tried and evo vii and an sti before and i wouldnt really be able to state which car is better as a racer because it was just a casual drive around the city... but through reading many articles and hearing from a couple friends i would say the cars are very evenly matched... they both have different pros and cons... take turning for example... yes the evo does turn better than the sti but then if you look at the differences in the tuning of the engine you would notice the tuning of the turbo in the evo is a bit high... thus throwing a couple more tighter turns on it would create very noticable amounts of turbo lag... the sti on the otherhand is heavy but with a more powerful engine, so turning you would need to slow down more than an evo but after the turns the sti would bring the speed back up much quicker... so in my opinion i would say again that the cars are very evenly matched in terms of the overall feel and power
Old Sep 24, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it almost comes back to witch you like the looks of........... The question was asked about a sun roof, On the evo VIII i think there were only 2 options, sunroof and a wing..... most are made with the wing and most w/o sunroofs because all that does is add weight.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 06:11 PM

i had an STi which i traded in for a 05 VIII, and i hate to say it but in kinda miss my STi.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoLuvr
Hi guys. I am going to buy one of these cars and I'm very interested in all articles putting the two against each other. I found the following article and it appears to show the strengths and weaknesses of each car pretty well.

scroll down to "Twin Test - Mitsubishi Evo VII vs Subaru Impreza STi"
EVO vs. STI

If anyone has some good articles on the two please post them. It appears the EVO will corner better with a sharper turn in as well as a higher exit speed, as long as the surface is pretty flat. Any major imperfections and it tends to "skip" a bit while the STI soaks up the bumps very well. Also telling is the lack of low end torque of the STI while the EVO has a HUGE advantage in this area, delivering great pull from any gear and speed. Damn, I wish the EVO had as nice an interior as the STI. That's one sweet view from the drivers seat.

Comments?
Evoluvr,

By asking that question in this forum you are going to find most of the people saying that the EVO 8 is a better car. Well , I have one of the best EVO in the market(MR) and I must say that the STI is a heck of a car.

If you would ask me if I take the 03-04 Evo or a 03-04 STI I will say hand down the STI, for the price/equipment/performance I strongly think the STI wash away the 03-04 EVO . Now with the Evo 8 05 things are different, the 05 comes with significant more power(even though the manufacturer claims only 5 more hp). The 05 front LSD, ACD and addition of power and torque and revised transfer case makes the EVO8 05 take the lead.

Either way you wouldn't be dissapointed, but don't ever , ever, ever buy a used WRX, you will regret for the rest of your life on how much money you have to dump to make a WRX even close to the performance,braking,handling,tires/rims/seats and reliabilty of a EVO/STI

so my final anwer is:

03-04 STI over a 03-04 Evo
either 03-04- 05 STI or only 05 EVO
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dIRTY sANCHEZ
i had an STi which i traded in for a 05 VIII, and i hate to say it but in kinda miss my STi.
The STi body is so sick looking but when i hop in my EVO i realize why i traded in my STi.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CT9AIsRight
well heres wut i think abt the evo and wrx... i have tried and evo vii and an sti before and i wouldnt really be able to state which car is better as a racer because it was just a casual drive around the city... but through reading many articles and hearing from a couple friends i would say the cars are very evenly matched... they both have different pros and cons... take turning for example... yes the evo does turn better than the sti but then if you look at the differences in the tuning of the engine you would notice the tuning of the turbo in the evo is a bit high... thus throwing a couple more tighter turns on it would create very noticable amounts of turbo lag... the sti on the otherhand is heavy but with a more powerful engine, so turning you would need to slow down more than an evo but after the turns the sti would bring the speed back up much quicker... so in my opinion i would say again that the cars are very evenly matched in terms of the overall feel and power
Hey, your the smart guy... you reply to a thread 3.5 years old,
Old Oct 16, 2005, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dIRTY sANCHEZ
The STi body is so sick looking but when i hop in my EVO i realize why i traded in my STi.
Did you just quote yourself and answer your own question through a post?

Quick Reply: EVO VII vs. STI VII articles...